Posted 17th Oct 2021
Does anybody know whether the LFD tests we need to do, if double vaccinated and returning after 22nd, have to be bought from companies or can we just use the ones that are readily provided by NHS??

Just wondering as my parents are returning in the early morning on 23rd and due to their old age I want to inform them or send them proof which they can show at airport in good time so they don't have to worry.

Thanks
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

Groups

10 Comments
  1. Avatar
    Guidance states: "From 22 October, if you qualify as fully vaccinated for travel to England, you will be able to book an antigen lateral flow device (LFD) test instead of a PCR for your ‘on arrival’ test.

"

Suggests it's the same as current PCR procedure. Book using government approved private test suppliers, not free NHS.
    Edited by: "IamMT" 17th Oct 2021
  2. Avatar
    The ones that you can get free from the NHS don’t have a reference number on them to put on a locator form to show at the airport. There’s no record ‘in the system’ to determine the test legitimacy and be recognised on a paper trail of sorts.
    Perhaps I’m not explaining it quite right, but in short - no, the NHS provided tests cannot be used.
    The test results will also need to be uploaded and confirmed by the third party companies - who provide the purchased tests.
    Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 17th Oct 2021
  3. Avatar
    Has to be done privately. The cheapest decent one I know of is £18.80 at Chronomics through BA

britishairways.com/en-…sts
  4. Avatar
    The changes are for arrivals after the 24th, so they'll still need to take PCR's when they arrive on the 23rd.
  5. Avatar
    Sim17/10/2021 10:48

The changes are for arrivals after the 24th, so they'll still need to take …The changes are for arrivals after the 24th, so they'll still need to take PCR's when they arrive on the 23rd.

I think there's some confusion somewhere as it does state 22nd here
    gov.uk/gui…-19

Yet on other gov pages it says 24th.

Maybe as it's a day 2 test, you can land on the 22nd and then the day 2 will be 24th, so they let you do a lateral flow
  6. Avatar
    Free NHS tests have never been eligible for travel requirements.
  7. Avatar
    Author
    Sim17/10/2021 10:48

The changes are for arrivals after the 24th, so they'll still need to take …The changes are for arrivals after the 24th, so they'll still need to take PCR's when they arrive on the 23rd.

On the gov website (linked by member above) it states 22nd Oct. I am going to see if I can contact airline or even the airport and see what they will accept.
  8. Avatar
    The tests will be available to order from the 22nd for flights landing after the 24th.

gov.uk/gov…als
  9. Avatar
    jaguark17/10/2021 12:32

On the gov website (linked by member above) it states 22nd Oct. I am going …On the gov website (linked by member above) it states 22nd Oct. I am going to see if I can contact airline or even the airport and see what they will accept.

This might explain it better - taken from the BBC News website:

“Travellers due to arrive in England from 24 October onwards will be able to order their lateral flow tests from 22 October, when a list of approved providers will be published on the gov.uk website.

NHS Test and Trace tests - which can be ordered for free - cannot be used for international travel, the government said.”

As your parents are arriving in the UK on the 23rd, they’ll have to order a PCR test under the old system and put the allocated test reference no. on the locator form to show the airline;(
    Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 17th Oct 2021
  10. Avatar
    I’m due to fly out on 23rd so have been
    keeping an eye on it.

I’ve spotted this on TUI’s website - tui.co.uk/des…nts

We’re aware that from 24 October, the day 2 PCR test will be replaced with lateral flow tests for fully vaccinated passengers arriving in England from a TUI holiday – these will be available to book for a special rate of £15 from our testing partner from 22 October. We’re currently working to update the information on this page around testing requirements and available testing packages, in line with the new guidelines.
Post a comment