Expired

25 year old daughter asked for id on morrisons to purchase a lottery ticket

Found 23rd Dec 2013
just been shopping in morrisons with my daughter who is 25 the jobs worth behind the counter asked daughter for id to purchase a lottery ticket he refused to sell her one because she had no id and refused to sell me one because i was with her what a palaver as this happened to anyone else ??
Community Updates
Ask
43 Comments
Why take such offence to be asked for ID? Show them it and be on your merry way, no harm no foul
most companies use the think 25 method now nowadays so anyone who looks 25 and under to show I.d plus they might be Christmas temp so freshly trained
shouldn't of refused you though no reason why
perry1919

most companies use the think 25 method now nowadays so anyone who looks … most companies use the think 25 method now nowadays so anyone who looks 25 and under to show I.d plus they might be Christmas temp so freshly trained

Usually think 25 for booze, fags etc.. a lottery ticket is over 16.. Pretty obvious (at least to me) if someone is close to 16 or way over

A 25 year old would have to be using some serious anti-ageing formula to look close to 16
I look very young and they always ask for id when I buy cigarette for husband I give money with id straight away I think its normal this is their job
Lucky daughter to look so young, take it as praise, wish I looked that young.
Original Poster
DeusVentus

Why take such offence to be asked for ID? Show them it and be on your … Why take such offence to be asked for ID? Show them it and be on your merry way, no harm no foul

i wanted to buy my lottery ticket but the young lad refused to sell me a ticket because i was with my daughter
it was my daughter that was asked for id not me
Original Poster
perry1919

shouldn't of refused you though no reason why

because i was with my daughter and we were together so he wouldn't let me buy one
mishka1127

i wanted to buy my lottery ticket but the young lad refused to sell me a … i wanted to buy my lottery ticket but the young lad refused to sell me a ticket because i was with my daughter it was my daughter that was asked for id not me

It seems he refused you because you were with your daughter and she had just attempted and was asked for ID.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the way supermarkets work now, been there myself, 3 of us at the checkout and only 1 buying alcohol...all get asked for ID. If one doesn't have it then no one gets it.

Just makes more sense these days to carry something on you just incase of this type of situation.
This happened to my niece (23yrs)when I was with her in m & s with the sale of alcohol. I tried to buy it for her and was refused too. Now I can understand with the alcohol but to get that fussy with the lottery is a bit much.
My wife was asked for id last year buying me a packet of rizlas, she's 33.

I think the bloke just wanted to laugh at the picture on her driving licence
We'll I no from experience that this is called a proxy sale and I know that in Sainsburys it only applies to alcohol
sancho1983

My wife was asked for id last year buying me a packet of rizlas, she's … My wife was asked for id last year buying me a packet of rizlas, she's 33.I think the bloke just wanted to laugh at the picture on her driving licence

Or was he after her address as she is a hottie and wanted to whisk her away from the miserable husband.
donaldduck2

Or was he after her address as she is a hottie and wanted to whisk her … Or was he after her address as she is a hottie and wanted to whisk her away from the miserable husband.

That's entirely plausible
Banned
Hi, did they have a sign saying that they may ask for id on tobacco/lottery/alcohol sales (normally a challenge 25 or similar sign)? usually they will have this up on the counter or behind on the wall or on a window etc. if the sign was there then you and your daughter have nothing to complain about, if there is no sign I would complain to the manager!

I would just like to say that in this day and age there aren't many over 18's that don't have any kind of id. If you daughter literally has no id at all she can apply for a citizens card (it's around £15) these are accepted throughout the UK at pretty much any where that may ask for id, they can also be used if you are flying inside the UK.

I actually think that calling the staff member a "jobs worth" for actually doing their job is a bit rude tbh!

I get asked for id alot (I'm 28) when buying alcohol, even been asked when buying my partner rizlas lol and it is annoying but shop staff can actually lose their jobs and be fined if they sell age limited items to underage customers!
They probably only serve dwarfs like Ant and Dec now. She was probably too tall
I am 33 and it is quite annoying what I have been asked for ID for in the past years. I understand it but sometimes I think people are so blind. I don't even wear makeup so no way could I look 16!
Banned
It an offence for anyone under the age of 16 to be sold any lottery products.

Lottery operator Camelot is required, by its regulator, The National Lottery Commission, to use its “best endeavours” to prevent underage sales and it cannot pay out a prize to anyone under the age of 16.
Penalties

Camelot has the right to suspend or terminate their agreement with you if any under age sales occur (regardless of whether or not a prosecution takes place).

On conviction in the Magistrates’ Court a fine of up to £5,000 can be imposed.

Unlimited fines and/or up to 2 years imprisonment may be imposed by the Crown Court.

National Lottery, etc. Act 1993, National Lottery Regulations 1994
Well im over 40 and got asked for id in Asda the other night!!! Also had to send my 17 year old daughter away because from previous experience they would not have served me if she was with me! I quite like the fact I was asked for id tho lol
Just doing their job, the big Tesco near me lost their licence for selling lottery's to someone under age so they're just being on the safe side.

Edited by: "mintcake" 23rd Dec 2013
I'm 27 and look every minute of it and am asked for ID almost every time I shop for age restricted products. I don't mind to be honest, takes the pressure off the shop assistant if they just ask everyone who blatantly isn't old.
perry1919

We'll I no from experience that this is called a proxy sale and I know … We'll I no from experience that this is called a proxy sale and I know that in Sainsburys it only applies to alcohol

think its more likely to apply to any age restricted product
the rules are there to stop all stuff not just booze getting into the wrong hands
Did you see basil fawlty hanging about in morrisons
I get asked regularly and take it as a compliment and i've survived over 30 on this hell hope we call earth.

As others have said if the dude behind the till has a doubt they have to ask. If ur a secret shopper and they get it wrong can be your jobs worth. and or a fine.
I look far younger than I am. In my 20's yet people have mistaken me for 16 or under. I once went to buy a bottle of alcohol from Tesco which was a birthday present and got asked for ID. Fair enough, gave it to them. However, my friend happened to be at the till behind me so they asked them for ID too and sadly they didn't have any on them so they refused to serve me.

My friend looks far older than me. People always thought they were over 18 while still at school. Worse still, the manager was called over and they have known me all their life and they went to school with both of us. We're both older than the manager. Still wouldn't serve me! I know they have to stick to certain rules but why be so strict when they know they can't get in trouble? So I had to travel miles to the next town to go to ASDA just for one bottle of alcohol.

Age restrictions are fair enough but shops go a bit over the top with rules about serving based on other people.
If its their rules though they aren't going to go lenient for you and perhaps loose their job over it. My boyfriend never carries his Id so if I am buying anything that requires Id he goes out to the car, because they will always Id both of us even though its my shopping, and if he's got none then they won't serve me, its been those rules for years! Maybe your daughter should be carrying Id anyway as she's 25 she should be getting id'd anyway.......
Just but it online. Problem solved!
Original Poster
GAVINLEWISHUKD

Just but it online. Problem solved!

good idea
Just be grateful, she saved herself from throwing money down the drain.(_;)
OP, are you aware that if the 'jobsworth' was to sell a lottery ticket to somebody who was below legal age that said 'jobsworth' would be fined, as well as their employer? And said 'jobsworth' would probably be jobless soon after? Is it really worth losing your job over and receiving a fine just because somebody feels there is no need to take ID out with them or that it is inconvenient?
Edited by: "RossD89" 24th Dec 2013
Original Poster
RossD89

OP, are you aware that if the 'jobsworth' was to sell a lottery ticket to … OP, are you aware that if the 'jobsworth' was to sell a lottery ticket to somebody who was below legal age that said 'jobsworth' would be fined, as well as their employer? And said 'jobsworth' would probably be jobless soon after? Is it really worth losing your job over and receiving a fine just because somebody feels there is no need to take ID out with them or that it is inconvenient?

Get off your high horse ha ha lol
its not about my daughter not feeling the need to take ID out with her !! ( it was an impulse purchase )
it was the way the jobsworth spoke to my daughter and i ,
it was the way the jobsworth humiliated us , their was a queue of people behind us
instead of talking to us in a normal tone , the jobsworth decided to speak to us in ten decibels higher so everyone could hear him
why should we be made to feel like we did because my daughter had no id to purchase a lottery ticket
and then because i wanted to purchase my own lottery ticket refusing because i was with her
we are not children and i found it totally disgusting the way were spoken to
he took the situation to the extreme and was on a power trip , a total jobsworth with no customer service skills who needs educating in the field of customer relations a total ****hole !!!!!!!
Clearly it was all the"jobsworth"'s fault. After all, he seems to have been speaking to such a mild mannered polite person who couldn't possibly take any responsibility to how the incident panned out.
Original Poster
Lol totally agree
Im pretty sure that your complaint on here. Your op says nothing about his attitude ect. Just he refused to sell you an age resricted product.

Your daughter tried to buy an age restricted product. With out proof of the age. Her mother then tried to purchase the same product moments after. Even if it wasnt for your daughter and was for you. The assistant made the 100% right choice.

If it a problem with his service your better of going through the feedback deptment or complaints. If its about the policy he correctly followed then you need to speak to the people that have put in place this LAW .

It is the law. And if you break this law. Which he would have been doing by serving you after your daughter . The minium he faces his disaplinary. Max is prison. Im sorry. But i wouldnt even risk getting a verbal warnig for serving someone buying an age restricted product with the possiblity it is for some one who cannot prove they are old enough
i was in b&q 2 years ago my husband asked me to pick up a blow torch for him , i took it to the checkout and the assistant said madam you have to be over 21 to buy this product do you have id on you , i was shocked lol i was 50 in may this year and had my 2 year old grandson in the trolly , my husband was in hysterics when he had to drive the 20 miles to the store to get it himself as i didnt have id on me and they wouldnt serve me
mishka1127

Get off your high horse ha ha lol its not about my daughter not feeling … Get off your high horse ha ha lol its not about my daughter not feeling the need to take ID out with her !! ( it was an impulse purchase )it was the way the jobsworth spoke to my daughter and i , it was the way the jobsworth humiliated us , their was a queue of people behind us instead of talking to us in a normal tone , the jobsworth decided to speak to us in ten decibels higher so everyone could hear him why should we be made to feel like we did because my daughter had no id to purchase a lottery ticket and then because i wanted to purchase my own lottery ticket refusing because i was with her we are not children and i found it totally disgusting the way were spoken tohe took the situation to the extreme and was on a power trip , a total jobsworth with no customer service skills who needs educating in the field of customer relations a total ****hole !!!!!!!

Seems like you don't understand the saying get off your high horse. You might want to get off yours. If you acted as entitled as you are acting in this thread it is litte surprise you wasn't served.
Edited by: "RossD89" 24th Dec 2013
Saved her 2 quid as far as I can see
When referring to Supermarket staff as 'jobsworths' please remember that they are on low wages, go through lots of regular training at which point they are pumped with information and they are told that they must follow and understand policies etc. or risk loosing their jobs. At the end of the day it's their job and if that's what they are told to do then what else can they do? Obviously if you have an issue ask to speak to a store manager or contact Customer Services (instore or head office) but Please never take anything like this out on staff directly, they don't deserve it and their hands are tied - do people realise that if staff serve underage people and are caught they risk a minimum £60-80 fine plus put their job on the line (yes it does happen, often)? And once they've asked for ID, if it isn't produced then they are unable to serve or serve anyone who is with the person who they believe is buying it on their behalf - simplest way around this is to leave the store, then the person with ID or who is not likely to be asked for ID to return and buy the items at a different checkout.
You won't believe some of the abuse these 'jobsworths' have to put up with and how it can affect them and how they feel about their jobs. A bit of respect and thought goes a long way.... rules are rules and they are there to safeguard everyone, not just the purchaser!
....I think quackers....I mean donaldduck, got it right above ....maybe he just fancied the buttons off your daughter....and wanted to see her ID....rather than be offended......be mindful.....and ask yourself.....when was the last time as a parent that you were asked for your ID.....and that if you had been.....would you be offended....or would you have got your shades out, put them on, and walked, with a slight limp, and bounce In the stride (ala dem yoof af taday)....high-fiving random brothers as you pass dem by....., and throwing sideways glances for any cameras....or papparazzi
Come off it.....you're sooooo showbiz.....you know you are.

Ahhhh the ravages of youth.....(those fleeting moments)......and how quickly do they pass !
Let them linger a while...and try and to not be offended by their presence.
And enjoy them for the gift that they are.

Edited by: "Chumba_Wumba" 24th Dec 2013
I remember many years ago (sigh!) on a night out at a vodka bar in the city, a whipper-snapper behind the bar asked me for ID as I approached. I hadn't even opened my mouth before I was asked. The rest of the gang heard and were in stitches - laughing at him and saying "are you serious, fella?" I found it quite amusing and complimentary actually. I showed him ID and; with a grin; said I'm 34. Embarrassed, he smiled, made an excuse and asked me what I'd like.

"A diet coke please" I replied.

(I was the nominated driver that night. Hehe!)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants