25m HDMI cable to extend Sky HD+. Any experience to share?

Posted 5th Jan
I plan to send the Sky signal into a 3 way splitter and run one connection 25m (the other 2 will be 5m each) and use Sky magic eyes over the exiting co-ax aerial cables. The 25m cable + other kit is listed on tvcables.co.uk.

Has anyone else done this and found any problems? Or do you have any recommended suppliers of long HDMI cables and spltters?

Any experiences/help greatly appreciated.
thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
Just ditch sky and get nowtv sticks.

Same channels as sky but you can put sticks in all tvs around your house on 1 subscription. Cheaper too.
Edited by: "MonkeysUncle" 5th Jan
Over Cat 5?
Hadn't come across that so thanks.

Sadly, as I read it, it depends on broadband and BT Openreach (please, no-one tell me they are separate companies) have consistently delivered services to us for over 25 years to a quality that HUKD won't let me use the right words to describe. Its not very good.

but thanks for educating me
ccnp05/01/2020 20:29

Can you push HDMI over cat5/6?

I have a pair of HDMI senders that work via cat5 (I think I installed cat6 as I was running them under the floorboards before carpeting). Work brilliantly, most seem to go up to 60 metres. I'm running about 10m and a friend is running 20m/25m and they work with 1080p. About £30 or so, you just need to run the network cable and they need power both ends. They also have remote transmit built in (mine do at least, think they all do). A recommended solution.
dirty_stan05/01/2020 20:48

I have a pair of HDMI senders that work via cat5 (I think I installed cat6 …I have a pair of HDMI senders that work via cat5 (I think I installed cat6 as I was running them under the floorboards before carpeting). Work brilliantly, most seem to go up to 60 metres. I'm running about 10m and a friend is running 20m/25m and they work with 1080p. About £30 or so, you just need to run the network cable and they need power both ends. They also have remote transmit built in (mine do at least, think they all do). A recommended solution.

A fine example of HUKD help. Thank you. I already have the Ethernet cable in place!
ccnp05/01/2020 20:29

Can you push HDMI over cat5/6?

I recommend neet products, great customer support. Also you will get 1080 versus standard def with the sky eye.
Edited by: "scottishpunter" 5th Jan
The Cat 5/6 suggestion is definitely the way to go! I’ve got 2 different types in the house, 1 is a single HDMI sender, whilst the other is a double. Both are running on Cat 6 cable, with lengths between 5m and 20m.

They’ve both worked pretty much flawlessly since setup, aside from having to reset them every now and again (takes seconds). The single was £30 and the double £80 or thereabouts. Mine are esynic, bought from Amazon.

You may want to ensure you get one with HDMI loop out, meaning that you can loop an HDMI cable back to your main TV.
Edited by: "Diggsy" 5th Jan
Get a quad LNB & buy 2 extra sky HD boxes off ebay for £20 & just switch the card when you want.
Do these methods work with the new sky Q boxs or only old ones?
All the edid's will clash so all tv's will get the support of the first TV you turn on. So turn on a 4k TV and the others are 1080p they'll get no signal and conversely, turn on a 1080p TV first and have a 4k TV, that'll only get a 1080p signal or you just might not get a picture. Splitting hdmi doesn't really work unless it's to identical screens.

NowTV is a better and cheaper option but you'll probably need fibre for multiple tv's at a time.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 6th Jan
amazon.co.uk/gp/…866

Don't know if these are worth a punt at the price, title & description suggest it's something else but the technical details and Italian reviews suggest it's a HDMI sender, a decent esynic one like Diggsy mentions too. Depends if you don't mind the hassle of sending them back, could be a bargain?
I’ve done this in my local sports club. Hdmi out of sky box to 4 way hdmi splitter. 4 TVs fed from the splitter,furthest is 20m away. Shortest about 10m. Works spot on.
All TVs are 1080 TVs so not had the issue mentioned by dcx... in earlier post
15m is generally the maximum recommended length for Full HD over standard HDMI cables (4K drops that even further).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions