£280 for Bob Martin spot on flea treatment at pound land

Found 26th Apr 2014
In case you have considered buying this please don't!

I rather foolishly purchased this in poundland as an alternative to the £7 bob Martin flea treatment I usually buy!

My dog had a serious reaction to this which cost £280 in vet bills already.

Once at the vet she told me some interesting and rather sad stories of bob Martin flea treatments

So I was hoping to post this here so if any of you had seen it and were considering buying it don't. Hopefully it might help somebody else too
Community Updates
MiscFlea Treatment
19 Comments
They also stock this at JTF.
It really I disgraceful it's alloweed to be sold. I was going to contact them on there facebook page, and I was shocked at the comments etc on there from owners.
I know-similar problems have also been reported with the cat one-a number of cat deaths have been linked too.
What were the interesting and sad stories you were told?? You're not really giving any information away for anyone considering buying it!
I've found that the only flea treatment that works is Advantage, Frontline used to be good but the fleas seem to have become immune to it.

That Bob Martin stuff as never ever worked.

My advice would be buy from the vets or seek their recommendations.

Not a secret that I really dislike this store so many of their products are not fit for the porpoise(sic)
Edited by: "Wongy110" 26th Apr 2014
I can happily recommend advantage as well. I get all my pet stuff from here: animeddirect.co.uk/
Loads of problems with this stuff , my cat reacted to the cat version, luckily she was OK
I've just done a little research and found "complaints/issues" since 2009 and all I see is BobMartin asking for the pet owners to contact them directly.. yet their facebook page still allows everyone to comment/post these "complaints/issues".

I have always taken the advice/used treatments as advised by our vet so have never seen an issue like this. That said and in todays current climate (austerity) I can see the potential increase of people buying cheaper/over the counter medicines.

But I question the ethics of these so called pet lovers... if it's your own family/child who has fleas/knits etc do you buy over the counter medicines or seek proper medical advice?

Yes I understand cost is a major factor and I do try to understand every point but I do know that vets practices do give free advice over the phone for basic needs (like flea treatment) and yes flea treatments will probably cost more buying from a vet... but my argument still stands.... is your family/child/pet worth the added attention to detail/correct treatment/cost
philphil61

I've just done a little research and found "complaints/issues" since 2009 … I've just done a little research and found "complaints/issues" since 2009 and all I see is BobMartin asking for the pet owners to contact them directly.. yet their facebook page still allows everyone to comment/post these "complaints/issues".I have always taken the advice/used treatments as advised by our vet so have never seen an issue like this. That said and in todays current climate (austerity) I can see the potential increase of people buying cheaper/over the counter medicines.But I question the ethics of these so called pet lovers... if it's your own family/child who has fleas/knits etc do you buy over the counter medicines or seek proper medical advice?Yes I understand cost is a major factor and I do try to understand every point but I do know that vets practices do give free advice over the phone for basic needs (like flea treatment) and yes flea treatments will probably cost more buying from a vet... but my argument still stands.... is your family/child/pet worth the added attention to detail/correct treatment/cost

You'l pay alot less buying flea treatment from the internet (which have vet licences) than your local street vet, don't be a mug, check it out...
I've used this a few times on my dog and cat. Had no issues (nor have the fleas, tbh X)). I will be avoiding it now, though. Thanks.
philphil61

But I question the ethics of these so called pet lovers... if it's your … But I question the ethics of these so called pet lovers... if it's your own family/child who has fleas/knits etc do you buy over the counter medicines or seek proper medical advice?Yes I understand cost is a major factor and I do try to understand every point but I do know that vets practices do give free advice over the phone for basic needs (like flea treatment) and yes flea treatments will probably cost more buying from a vet... but my argument still stands.... is your family/child/pet worth the added attention to detail/correct treatment/cost

Thats like saying "i shop at M+S for food because they don't compete in price wars (or fixing depending on your view). I buy on-line because I can buy the same stuff my vet recommends but for a lot less. The fact that it also works is a plus point.

I also DON'T have pet insurance, hell you can call me irresponsible if you like but from a financial aspect having two huskies would cost £40+, each, a month. I have had one of them for 6 years and the other for 5 so quick maths says i would have spent £2880 on one and £2400 a total of £5280 if i could get cover for £40pm. For what???

Nothing i would have wasted my money and got nothing back in return. Yes they might have needed to go to the vets for something serious in that time BUT the thing is they haven't and i have saved myself £5280 to go towards vet fees if need be.

How much have you wasted for a small piece of mind?

Edited by: "Morgan007" 26th Apr 2014
thewongwing101

Not a secret that I really dislike this store so many of their products … Not a secret that I really dislike this store so many of their products are not fit for the porpoise(sic)

you've only lost a quid if it breaks or whatever, do you really never buy anything from them?
CookinBat

you've only lost a quid if it breaks or whatever, do you really never buy … you've only lost a quid if it breaks or whatever, do you really never buy anything from them?

see the likes on the first comment here
hotukdeals.com/dea…609
but really nothing else
Morgan007

Thats like saying "i shop at M+S for food because they don't compete in … Thats like saying "i shop at M+S for food because they don't compete in price wars (or fixing depending on your view). I buy on-line because I can buy the same stuff my vet recommends but for a lot less. The fact that it also works is a plus point.I also DON'T have pet insurance, hell you can call me irresponsible if you like but from a financial aspect having two huskies would cost £40+, each, a month. I have had one of them for 6 years and the other for 5 so quick maths says i would have spent £2880 on one and £2400 a total of £5280 if i could get cover for £40pm. For what???Nothing i would have wasted my money and got nothing back in return. Yes they might have needed to go to the vets for something serious in that time BUT the thing is they haven't and i have saved myself £5280 to go towards vet fees if need be.How much have you wasted for a small piece of mind?

Mostly you are missing the point...but then your last few words somehow correct your mistake quote "piece of mind"

Yes by all means find a treatment cheaper but one that has been recommended by a suitably qualified person not a pet store

If your family/child is sick do you seek advice from a neighbour/friend/online or do you go to a doctor?
If that doctor recommends a particular treatment that is cheaper to buy online/elsewhere than prescription - you have a choice BUT do you then get an equivalent branded item than that specified by the doctor? common sense says no... but hey ho I want peace of mind

What do you want .... save £'s and put your family/pet at risk... your choice
Edited by: "philphil61" 26th Apr 2014
Do not scrimp on healthcare, Bob martin is an off the shelf medication.

Vets are able to give you prescribed doses for the animals weight with proven quantities of the drug necessary.

It is more expensive, if cheaper online get a prescription from the vets.

Its is the worst news you hear when asked what flea treatment do you use

There can be serious consequences for overdose, wrong species administered to..
A vet.
Its the same with their worming tablets, our vet told us that the reason the bob martin (and another brand, maybe johnsons?) tablets are so cheap is because they're really harsh chemically which is why they say to give with or after food where as with drontal or other treatments its ok to give on an empty stomach.
I have not been searching for this but I have seen a lot of comments (bad) about Bob Martin products over the last few months.

And, these comments have been on general discussion forums so it just goes to show how bad it really must be.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions