2nd hand car problems

Posted 26th Jul
I bought a 2012 car a few days ago from a guy who is just starting out as a car dealer. I asked if it came with a warranty and they said no. Anyway the next day I drove it it went into limp mode. Are they obliged to fix it or do I have any rights ? Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Mendoza27/07/2020 01:26

I bought a car from a small local dealership once.had it for 2 weeks, and …I bought a car from a small local dealership once.had it for 2 weeks, and I was heading home, doing 50 on the motorway.AND IT BLEW UP!it was the scariest thing ever

On a side note, why on earth are you only doing 50mph on a motorway?? Did you stick to the middle lane all the time as well??
Warranty irrelevant. Is the car “of a satisfactory quality”, “fit for purpose” and “as described” considering age, mileage, pre-purchase condition, price? If not, you have the option to choose to attempt to do something about it.
26 Comments
Warranty irrelevant. Is the car “of a satisfactory quality”, “fit for purpose” and “as described” considering age, mileage, pre-purchase condition, price? If not, you have the option to choose to attempt to do something about it.
id go back to him and demand a refund. Have you spoken to him?
Get your money back. A dealer can't absolve themselves of their obligations under consumer protection legislation.
why would you want to buy a car from a dealer without any warranty? most second hand dealers offer at least 3 months warranty from my past experience.

you are entitled to get the car fixed as he sold you something that is "not fit for purpose".
I bought a car from a small local dealership once.
had it for 2 weeks, and I was heading home, doing 50 on the motorway.

AND IT BLEW UP!

it was the scariest thing ever
is he actually a registered car dealer or did he list himself as one on gumtree/autotrader?
most likely hes just selling cars on the side scamming the tax man
Sounds like he's buying them from the auction and selling them on. I would go back and demand a refund as the car not fit for purpose

I bought a car from a small local dealership once.had it for 2 weeks, and …I bought a car from a small local dealership once.had it for 2 weeks, and I was heading home, doing 50 on the motorway.AND IT BLEW UP!it was the scariest thing ever

On a side note, why on earth are you only doing 50mph on a motorway?? Did you stick to the middle lane all the time as well??
If you are in England read this webpage, answer a couple of questions, then follow the instructions provided to the letter.
citizensadvice.org.uk/con…ar/
Hallsie27/07/2020 07:58

On a side note, why on earth are you only doing 50mph on a motorway?? Did …On a side note, why on earth are you only doing 50mph on a motorway?? Did you stick to the middle lane all the time as well??

The speed limit on any road is the MAXIMUM you are allowed to travel at, nothing to do with what speed you feel comfortable travelling at, there are many people who have been injured or died as a result of some cabbage head who was driving at a speed they couldn't control properly.
As others have said what's the point of buying from a car dealer if they don't give you warranty or make the car roadworthy. Cowboy springs to mind.

You might as well just go to the auctions yourself and take a chance there.

There's a guy where I live who sells some right honkers, anyway he ended up in court because he sold a dangerously defective vehicle. He still sells his bangers mind you.

"Evans was found guilty of selling a dangerously defective car.

He was fined £1,746 and ordered to pay £2,444.38 legal costs and a £120 surcharge

Council’s cabinet member responsible for Trading Standards, said: "This is a serious offence which could have put the lives of the vehicle occupants and other road users and pedestrians at risk. Attempting to sell a car in such a poor state demonstrates a complete failure of responsibility by the business."
PaulandPam27/07/2020 09:34

Comment deleted

Firstly not your friend. Secondly given you have a couples username I am going to assume you are probably upwards of 135 years old and probably own an Austin Allegro that is simply not capable of doing 70mph.

We are not talking about abject weather or road conditions, the assumption is standard road conditions otherwise it would have been said in the original post.

With standard safe weather conditions there is absolutely no reason someone should be driving at 50mph on a 70mph limit road.

I am going to make it clear, I am not suggesting you drive at 150mph, nor am I suggesting you drive at 70mph in heavy snow.

I reckon you last took a driving test about 30 years ago.
‘Starting up as a dealer’...
No, he’ll say sold as seen sold privately if you try going further with anything.
Edited by: "choccie32" 27th Jul

Helluva story, Mendoza. Helluva story......

Phew, I need a coffee after that.

So, it actually "Blew up" and you survived? Sheesh! Did they ever find out who planted the device? I know this guy had a penchant for this type of thing:

41502768-lVArK.jpg
Daftfool66627/07/2020 10:55

Firstly not your friend. Secondly given you have a couples username I am …Firstly not your friend. Secondly given you have a couples username I am going to assume you are probably upwards of 135 years old and probably own an Austin Allegro that is simply not capable of doing 70mph.We are not talking about abject weather or road conditions, the assumption is standard road conditions otherwise it would have been said in the original post.With standard safe weather conditions there is absolutely no reason someone should be driving at 50mph on a 70mph limit road.I am going to make it clear, I am not suggesting you drive at 150mph, nor am I suggesting you drive at 70mph in heavy snow.I reckon you last took a driving test about 30 years ago.

I took my driving test over 30 years ago, whats your point?
Phsycronix27/07/2020 11:28

Helluva story, Mendoza. Helluva story......Phew, I need a coffee after …Helluva story, Mendoza. Helluva story......Phew, I need a coffee after that. So, it actually "Blew up" and you survived? Sheesh! Did they ever find out who planted the device? I know this guy had a penchant for this type of thing:[Image]

I guess blew up into flames would have been a more apt description
Edited by: "Mendoza" 27th Jul
Mendoza27/07/2020 12:37

I guess blew up into flames would have been a more apt description

To be serious for a mo, what was the outcome? Did you just have to claim on insurance or did you go back to the dealer? Did you discover what caused the engine to pop?
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 27th Jul
Hallsie27/07/2020 07:58

On a side note, why on earth are you only doing 50mph on a motorway?? Did …On a side note, why on earth are you only doing 50mph on a motorway?? Did you stick to the middle lane all the time as well??

50 is a nice cruising speed, I could be wrong, it may very well have been 55
Mendoza27/07/2020 12:41

50 is a nice cruising speed, I could be wrong, it may very well have been …50 is a nice cruising speed, I could be wrong, it may very well have been 55

It’s not a ‘nice’ cruising speed on a motorway. I imagine you go for a long drive and say to people when you get there that the traffic was fine and it was clear all the way, whereas the 000’s behind you disagree!!!
Hallsie27/07/2020 12:49

It’s not a ‘nice’ cruising speed on a motorway. I imagine you go for a long …It’s not a ‘nice’ cruising speed on a motorway. I imagine you go for a long drive and say to people when you get there that the traffic was fine and it was clear all the way, whereas the 000’s behind you disagree!!!

Surely; on a motorway; that's why there's multiple lanes? If someone in front is too slow for your liking, you simply overtake?
Hallsie27/07/2020 12:49

It’s not a ‘nice’ cruising speed on a motorway. I imagine you go for a long …It’s not a ‘nice’ cruising speed on a motorway. I imagine you go for a long drive and say to people when you get there that the traffic was fine and it was clear all the way, whereas the 000’s behind you disagree!!!

A 50mph-er who uses the inside lane properly is far better than someone doing 70 sat in the middle lane all day.

Speed on motorways is slightly irrelevant, it's people that can't use lanes that are the problem. On almost any journey just watch the queues build in the middle and outside lanes because of people who think that because they're doing 70 all is fine and dandy.
Phsycronix27/07/2020 12:39

To be serious for a mo, what was the outcome? Did you just have to claim …To be serious for a mo, what was the outcome? Did you just have to claim on insurance or did you go back to the dealer? Did you discover what caused the engine to pop?

I’ll tell you from the beginning.

the dealership let me test drive it, and everything was perfect, and then they said “come back in 2 weeks”

I picked it up, and was using it on 40 mph roads (I was doing about 38 mph ) for 2 weeks.

and I went to visit my friends (the quickest route being the motorway, were the max speed is 70, but you can go 50 if you want , or maybe you’re stuck behind a wagon, whose set speed is 52)
anyway I digress, it was about a 30 minute drive, and I got there fine, so now the cars been resting for several hours before I make my way home...

I’m on the motorway doing between 50-55 mph, car is running fine, my junction is in sight (I’m home in 5 minutes) and then BANG! the car starts like jumping, I look in the rear view, all I see is thick smoke and I put on my hazards, but I was worried for the people behind, I didn’t think they’d be able to see, I managed to get to the side of the road as I could, I thought I seen flames creeping out the sides of the bonnet, but I thought I was just seeing things, so I phoned the AA.

no sooner had they answered, the flames just appeared properly, I calmly said “oh great it’s on fire” and the guy on the phone asked where I was, I said “northbound on the M56”, and he said “no, where are you”, and I said “sat in the car” and he said, and I quote “GET THE F OUT” (so unprofessional) hang up and call the police and fire brigade

I got out and probably (no definitely) didn’t stand as far away from the car as I should, the flames started to make there way into the car, that’s when I seen the AA guy on the other side of the motorway going southbound, and then a Good Samaritan stopped and started to extinguish the flames.

so the AA guy pulled up and said “I don’t think there’s anything I can do” (I think he was being sarcastic) but he phoned the tow truck people, to come take away the scraps.

I didn’t make an insurance claim, because it was just a cheap runaround, and figured in the long run it would affect my future premiums, which would be more than the car was worth.

but for years after I did always think, why didn’t I go to the dealership and kick off, maybe my dad did instead

*note*
some of the dialogue might be different, but he definitely said “get the F out” (still so unprofessional)

I also have a drowning story that was scary too
Mendoza27/07/2020 16:55

I’ll tell you from the beginning.the dealership let me test drive it, and e …I’ll tell you from the beginning.the dealership let me test drive it, and everything was perfect, and then they said “come back in 2 weeks”I picked it up, and was using it on 40 mph roads (I was doing about 38 mph ) for 2 weeks.and I went to visit my friends (the quickest route being the motorway, were the max speed is 70, but you can go 50 if you want , or maybe you’re stuck behind a wagon, whose set speed is 52)anyway I digress, it was about a 30 minute drive, and I got there fine, so now the cars been resting for several hours before I make my way home...I’m on the motorway doing between 50-55 mph, car is running fine, my junction is in sight (I’m home in 5 minutes) and then BANG! the car starts like jumping, I look in the rear view, all I see is thick smoke and I put on my hazards, but I was worried for the people behind, I didn’t think they’d be able to see, I managed to get to the side of the road as I could, I thought I seen flames creeping out the sides of the bonnet, but I thought I was just seeing things, so I phoned the AA.no sooner had they answered, the flames just appeared properly, I calmly said “oh great it’s on fire” and the guy on the phone asked where I was, I said “northbound on the M56”, and he said “no, where are you”, and I said “sat in the car” and he said, and I quote “GET THE F OUT” (so unprofessional) hang up and call the police and fire brigade I got out and probably (no definitely) didn’t stand as far away from the car as I should, the flames started to make there way into the car, that’s when I seen the AA guy on the other side of the motorway going southbound, and then a Good Samaritan stopped and started to extinguish the flames.so the AA guy pulled up and said “I don’t think there’s anything I can do” (I think he was being sarcastic) but he phoned the tow truck people, to come take away the scraps. I didn’t make an insurance claim, because it was just a cheap runaround, and figured in the long run it would affect my future premiums, which would be more than the car was worth.but for years after I did always think, why didn’t I go to the dealership and kick off, maybe my dad did instead *note*some of the dialogue might be different, but he definitely said “get the F out” (still so unprofessional)I also have a drowning story that was scary too

Cool. So you never really discovered what actually started the issue? Perhaps it was just a fluke occurrence that could have happened at any moment. I guess we'll never know...

Note for the future though: If in car - see flames - GET OUT.

I can quite imagine the AA person was concerned for your safety - not your sensitive ears! I'd have been shouting down the line too. Haha. You sound a bit 'subdued' if you're happy to sit in a vehicle with flames licking out of it. Thankfully it seems you suffered no ill effect from your brush with danger.

Only two types of people should be in a burning vehicle: Stuntpeople and politicians.

So, you've nearly been fried and drowned. Just need a parachute failure and buried alive story to complete the set really.
Phsycronix27/07/2020 17:09

Cool. So you never really discovered what actually started the issue? …Cool. So you never really discovered what actually started the issue? Perhaps it was just a fluke occurrence that could have happened at any moment. I guess we'll never know...Note for the future though: If in car - see flames - GET OUT.I can quite imagine the AA person was concerned for your safety - not your sensitive ears! I'd have been shouting down the line too. Haha. You sound a bit 'subdued' if you're happy to sit in a vehicle with flames licking out of it. Thankfully it seems you suffered no ill effect from your brush with danger.Only two types of people should be in a burning vehicle: Stuntpeople and politicians. So, you've nearly been fried and drowned. Just need a parachute failure and buried alive story to complete the set really.

yeah I think it was just the shock that made me stay in the car.

I did always want to be a stuntman

I do have two “buried” alive experiences (the life of the bullied)
Post a comment
@
    Text