Groups
    EXPIRED

2nd SATA HDD not showing up in my computer?

Hia,

I've just installed a 2nd HDD in my tower & it did show up in the bios, it tried to boot from it so I swapped that round in the BIOS then restarted & went into XP OK, it then flashed up in the corner - new disk detected but still doesn't show up in my computer.

It does show up in device manager but says
    Partition Style: Not Applicaable

Any ideas what I can try, it's a seagate drive model: st3160211as

thanks,
    worto.

4 Comments

Right click on the drive and initialise it!

Original Poster

lol - I tried that but it didn't let me right click on it in device manager - it's sorted now, I just found a disk management section and it lets me right click & initialise in there - it's formatting now.

Shows how long it's been since I installed a HDD! I used to build PC's for a living back in the DOS\Win 3.1 days! I didn't even know there was a disk management section!

Thanks,
    worto.

LOL - sorry, when you said you were in the Device Manager I thought you meant Disk Management! You were so close Glad it's sorted!

To be honest I think the behaviour from Windows with new drives is pretty stupid, I'd expect it to pop up a little wizard saying that it's found a new drive and ask what you'd like to do with it. I've quite frequently come across people who have installed a new drive correctly but not sure what to do to get it actually working.

John
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. *Heads Up* Free Wrestling on Sunday 10pm YouTube, Facebook and WWE.com. Sum…11
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?27127
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764186
      4. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?77

See more discussions