3 have blocked torrent downloads :(

Found 9th Jan 2013
Booo.....everytime I download torrents off my phone using 3 my connection gets cut and I get a message on the browser saying that I'm tethering.

Not sure if anybody else uses 3 for torrents but is your experiencing the same thing let me know. I'm not due whether there is a way around this
Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
Misc
43 Comments
You could always purchase whatever you are downloading rather than pirating.
so it gets cut for tethering or for downloading torrents?
oh you naughty boy, what sites do you use lol
Yep even if you're on the one plan ... I won't be renewing with them again .
oddballjamie

You could always purchase whatever you are downloading rather than … You could always purchase whatever you are downloading rather than pirating.

Who says he's pirating?
oddballjamie

You could always purchase whatever you are downloading rather than … You could always purchase whatever you are downloading rather than pirating.

[Here are the facts] ----------------------{jump}------------------------------>[Here is your conclusion]

...is what you just did there.
Cant you use encryption to get around it?

In the desktop version you go here, not sure about the droid app.

Options > Preferences > BitTorrent. Set Outgoing under Protocol Encryption to Enable, check "Allow incoming legacy connections".
After a little digging I cant find any Android torrent app that has an encryption feature, the best workaround I can find is to either use a paid service like BTguard (no idea if its any good) @ £5 a month or you would have to proxy all your apps, this blog discusses the subject: android-proxy.blogspot.co.uk - again, not sure if its any good so you'd have to read it.
orbot

/thread
Cool, thanks for the input guys, I'll do some investigation
If the options available to set a port number, try 80.
So you're downloading illegal items and also going against 3's policy of not tethering and now you're complaining?

Wow...
subway

So you're downloading illegal items and also going against 3's policy of … So you're downloading illegal items and also going against 3's policy of not tethering and now you're complaining?Wow...

Fail 1 : They might be downloading Linux ISO's
Fail 2 : They 'appear' to be using an app on their phone to download, where does tethering come into it?

I may be wrong about both points but I rather like innocent until proven guilty. Kinda works for me.
casparwhite

orbot /thread

Useless for large files /post
Shengis

Fail 1 : They might be downloading Linux ISO'sFail 2 : They 'appear' to … Fail 1 : They might be downloading Linux ISO'sFail 2 : They 'appear' to be using an app on their phone to download, where does tethering come into it?I may be wrong about both points but I rather like innocent until proven guilty. Kinda works for me.

You say "Fail 1" and 'Fail 2" but then go on to say "I may be wrong on both points".

Oh the irony...
subway

You say "Fail 1" and 'Fail 2" but then go on to say "I may be wrong on … You say "Fail 1" and 'Fail 2" but then go on to say "I may be wrong on both points".Oh the irony...

Not sure that's actually irony tbh. Will research when I have less time.
What if you are downloading Linux Distributions?
they stopped you downloading Linux distros?! how very dare they!
spaceinvader

Useless for large files /post

considering you dismissed it or didnt even know about it until i mentioned it i have a feeling you have never actually used it

ive never had any problem dling "large" files

either through orbot or through tor

maybe a thank you instaed of getting so defensive just because you didnt know about it would be more appropriate
subway

You say "Fail 1" and 'Fail 2" but then go on to say "I may be wrong on … You say "Fail 1" and 'Fail 2" but then go on to say "I may be wrong on both points".Oh the irony...

thats where youre supposed to prove him wrong, if you dont (which you havent) lets just assume he is correct

the op has mentioned nothing about dling anything illegal, dont use your internet habits to judge other people
I've noticed this too- the irony is that I can tether to my MacBook Pro for as long as I want without any interruption, including downloading torrents to my Mac, but as soon as I try to use utorrent on my phone, three suddenly accuses me of tethering!

Would be interesting to see if 3's terms of service actually prohibit torrenting or not, if they don't then I can see an early exit penalty free for breech of contract....
I was having the same problem with the message popping up saying that I was tethering. I've recently installed TTorrent Pro on my phone, and this seems to have solved the problem. Didn't have to alter any of the encryption settings, just seemed to work straight away.
yobo0

I was having the same problem with the message popping up saying that I … I was having the same problem with the message popping up saying that I was tethering. I've recently installed TTorrent Pro on my phone, and this seems to have solved the problem. Didn't have to alter any of the encryption settings, just seemed to work straight away.

interesting. Is that the latest version of tTorrent Pro? Thats the client I was using but have now since moved over to t-mobile
Apologies, I probably should have checked this properly before posting. Using the latest version of Ttorrent Pro allows me to download torrents, but as soon as I access my Web browser I get the tethering message. This however doesn't affect the torrent downloading.
yobo0

Apologies, I probably should have checked this properly before posting. … Apologies, I probably should have checked this properly before posting. Using the latest version of Ttorrent Pro allows me to download torrents, but as soon as I access my Web browser I get the tethering message. This however doesn't affect the torrent downloading.

Tmobile also seem to stop torrent downloads. My galaxy note is in repair so once its back ill try it. I don't think I was using the latest version of tTorrent pro the last time I tried it.
currently torrents on three are unblocked i guess maybe for 4g upgrade in process
Yea. But after 2 hours of downloading a torrent my bandwidth was cut to 1kb/sec.
ct89

What if you are downloading Linux Distributions?

Is the number one "excuse"
I had exactly the same problem as you guys and have a solution
I can confirm that does not state anywhere in Three's terms and conditions that torrent downloading is not aloud on any of their plans. I'm not using the one plan just the £12.90 plan with unlimited data (no tethering). When I tried using uTorrent, as soon as the application was launched, all internet activity was stopped and I would get the tethering message in the web browser. You can indeed use an older version of tTorrent to bypass this but YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO BYPASS IT. They have no right to block them and after a few phone calls to Three customer service (not bad by the way compared to some) they tried to convince me that accessing shared files is not aloud but I know my stuff so I simply argued back with facts! After a few days the restriction was lifted and I can now download torrents freely using any torrent app. (I still use tTorrent as its more customizable than uTorrent) but yeah, call them up and let them know that you need access to torrents for whatever reason and they have no choice but to remove the restriction. Hope this helps you guys and no matter how hard they try, they are wrong and they know they are. Demand your torrents and if necessary threaten to leave. I guess this could even be used as a way to leave a contract if they refuse as they are breaching the terms
Best of luck..
love torrnets

you dont have to wait for the tv shows to be shown over here fromthe states but get them the same day - minus all the adverts

regarding films get alot of films on torrents before they come out on blu ray or dvd.

im on the 3 unlimited plan and have managed to rack up about 130gb this month - of web usage of tethering to my pc whilst waiting for sky broadband and torrents too
kick_u_in_the_nuts

love torrnetsyou dont have to wait for the tv shows to be shown over here … love torrnetsyou dont have to wait for the tv shows to be shown over here fromthe states but get them the same day - minus all the advertsregarding films get alot of films on torrents before they come out on blu ray or dvd.im on the 3 unlimited plan and have managed to rack up about 130gb this month - of web usage of tethering to my pc whilst waiting for sky broadband and torrents too

The very reason the 2GB limit is on it's way.

As for the OP I have the same problem. I've downloaded countless legal (non copyright) files just so they block my usage. I then phone to complain that they aren't providing me with the service I pay for but Bangalore Bob is having none of it.
ceanth

you need to be on "The One Plan" this allows tethering,
browser required is "Opera Mini" to download the .torrent file as this doesn't use the same protocols as others.
LMAO at the amount of MPAA White Knights in this thread

I'll torrent if I want /Cartman
kick_u_in_the_nuts

love torrnetsyou dont have to wait for the tv shows to be shown over here … love torrnetsyou dont have to wait for the tv shows to be shown over here fromthe states but get them the same day - minus all the advertsregarding films get alot of films on torrents before they come out on blu ray or dvd.im on the 3 unlimited plan and have managed to rack up about 130gb this month - of web usage of tethering to my pc whilst waiting for sky broadband and torrents too

Are these 99s you get piece by piece from various ice cream vendors ?
can you not get a 64gb micro sd card and download straight onto that. especially on android phone
montana78

can you not get a 64gb micro sd card and download straight onto that. … can you not get a 64gb micro sd card and download straight onto that. especially on android phone

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/173/576/Wat8.jpg
Just to confirm NDJ's useful post above. After a fraught time on the phone to Calcutta (or some other third world ****) and being repeatedly lied to by 3's wonderful customer service representatives, I am now waiting to see if this unlawful and unnecessary restriction will be removed from my phone. If not, I will be cancelling my contract (along with the one I have for my iPad) in the next day or so. Can anyone recommend an alternative provider and plan that might be able to give me the service I desire (unlimited torrent downloading whilst travelling around the UK)?
Use the app ttorrent change port number to 8080 worked for me
benathand

Use the app ttorrent change port number to 8080 worked for me

Hi, I just tried changing this setting but it didn't seem to make any difference. Ttorrent used to let me download torrents as per my previous post, but not any more for some reason. I've downloaded orbot on somebody's recommendation, although i've not yet figured out how to configure it. I'll post back if I get this working.
yobo0

Hi, I just tried changing this setting but it didn't seem to make any … Hi, I just tried changing this setting but it didn't seem to make any difference. Ttorrent used to let me download torrents as per my previous post, but not any more for some reason. I've downloaded orbot on somebody's recommendation, although i've not yet figured out how to configure it. I'll post back if I get this working.

Same here. ttorrent used to work great for me but has recently decided to stop downloading any and everything. utorrent works fine so I don't think it's a problem caused by 3 but ttorrent itself.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants