3 mobile

Found 1st Aug 2017
I am looking to move to 3 mobile from EE as they can't match the current 3 mobile sim only plan that I am interested in.

I find EE very good for call signal and data signal around Surrey and London but have no experience with 3 mobile. The signal check map indicates good signal from 3 in Surrey and London but I wonder if anyone has personal experience of 3 in Surrey and London to comment?

What about 3 customer service? Are they any good?
Community Updates
AskMobilesMobile Phone
20 Comments
I'm based in Surrey and have no problem with 3 - however it is a large area and signal I'm sure will vary depending on where you are. Why not just use the coverage checker - three.co.uk/Dis…age

If you want to be even more sure - get a free PAYG sim from three website. Pop it in your phone and check if you get a good coverage at home
Original Poster
astreix10 m ago

I'm based in Surrey and have no problem with 3 - however it is a large …I'm based in Surrey and have no problem with 3 - however it is a large area and signal I'm sure will vary depending on where you are. Why not just use the coverage checker - http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Network/CoverageIf you want to be even more sure - get a free PAYG sim from three website. Pop it in your phone and check if you get a good coverage at home

Do I need credit on the PAYG sim in order to test it for receiving calls? I am more interested in receiving calls than data. Some PAYG sim needs credit to be activated.
I had got a three sim ages ago (they were offering it free with 500mb data then) and at that time I could see the signal strength and receive calls straight away without any top up. Alternatively if you can find friends/family/neighbours who have a 3 sim, you can just check on their phone
Original Poster
astreix18 m ago

I had got a three sim ages ago (they were offering it free with 500mb data …I had got a three sim ages ago (they were offering it free with 500mb data then) and at that time I could see the signal strength and receive calls straight away without any top up. Alternatively if you can find friends/family/neighbours who have a 3 sim, you can just check on their phone

thanks. I will order their free PAYG sim. No harm as it is free any way
I switched from Vodafone to Three, Three has been down three times since joining. I don't recall any down time on Vodafone. Also signal isn't very good out of town and 4G speeds nowhere near as fast as Vodafone.
Original Poster
shauneco1 h, 8 m ago

I switched from Vodafone to Three, Three has been down three times since …I switched from Vodafone to Three, Three has been down three times since joining. I don't recall any down time on Vodafone. Also signal isn't very good out of town and 4G speeds nowhere near as fast as Vodafone.

when you say down, do you mean you get no call signal at all? and how long for each time it was down?
Always found 3 customer service to be great, i have mostly done live chat but they have sorted things straight away
As ding says.. Plus if you do the live chat you will find they throw discounts at you when you complain! Not that I've had much cause to complain but in the two times in six years they have us a discount off our bills for all contacts we had with them (five at the moment).
Try this one, it's free data but it will work with your phone and if you wanted you can add credit as a payg you will want to check out the signal around you and don't rely on the three coverage checker as they admit it's totally wrong. Has our daughter on a 12 month deal was only about £4 with credit they gave at the time and it was good at home, school but go anywhere else and it was terrible even our local big city.

three.co.uk/Fre…der
mutley14 h, 15 m ago

when you say down, do you mean you get no call signal at all? and how …when you say down, do you mean you get no call signal at all? and how long for each time it was down?

Twice totally down, No data no signal.

Then I could make calls but not receive them, That's all in the space of 6 months. However been fine for past 3 months so touch wood things improve.

Usually down for 12 hours or so, Don't know about the time when I could make but not receive calls.

I will be switching network again once contracts are up because signal out of town is non existent.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 1st Aug 2017
See if you can get a pay as you go sim to test out how crap, err I mean how good they are (I didn't get very good coverage on my commute from Croydon to Woking).
mutley112 h, 30 m ago

when you say down, do you mean you get no call signal at all? and how …when you say down, do you mean you get no call signal at all? and how long for each time it was down?

dont ever make your decision based on individual user with shitty experience. remember that companies usually have thousands or millions of customers... also think about lottery...
furthermore if anyone is saying they have issues with Three data speeds or whatever I tend to show them this picture31598373-imhbh.jpg
2nd. the above. To be absolutely sure you need to get a free sim and try it. The signal strength for my postcode indicated I would be fine for all services in my house, in fact I was barely able to get any signal on3. The only answer is a Home Signal Box which they might reluctantly give you if you take out a contract, but then find the service unreliable. I had a long chat with 3 customer service about this recently as I wanted to change to their network.
Original Poster
eslick11 h, 34 m ago

Try this one, it's free data but it will work with your phone and if you …Try this one, it's free data but it will work with your phone and if you wanted you can add credit as a payg you will want to check out the signal around you and don't rely on the three coverage checker as they admit it's totally wrong. Has our daughter on a 12 month deal was only about £4 with credit they gave at the time and it was good at home, school but go anywhere else and it was terrible even our local big city.https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order

i find that the provider's own coverage maps tend to exaggerate how good their signals are. i have seen so many EE coverage areas where EE claim very good signal and absolutely nothing, didly squat for call or internet signal so it can only be used as a guide.

i ordered a PAYG sim and it asks if i want to the sim because of good rates or to check signal. i answered good rates but i wonder if it would have any difference if i had answered check signal?
mutley13 h, 14 m ago

i find that the provider's own coverage maps tend to exaggerate how good …i find that the provider's own coverage maps tend to exaggerate how good their signals are. i have seen so many EE coverage areas where EE claim very good signal and absolutely nothing, didly squat for call or internet signal so it can only be used as a guide.i ordered a PAYG sim and it asks if i want to the sim because of good rates or to check signal. i answered good rates but i wonder if it would have any difference if i had answered check signal?

No it wouldn't
Original Poster
Erubadhron16 m ago

No it wouldn't

wouldn't switch to 3 or wouldn't have answered the reason you are ordering the free sim is to check signal coverage?
It wouldn't make any difference if you said you wanted to check coverage. Why (and how) would it?
Edited by: "bynouk" 2nd Aug 2017
Original Poster
bynouk11 m ago

It wouldn't make any difference if you said you wanted to check coverage. …It wouldn't make any difference if you said you wanted to check coverage. Why (and how) would it?

i was concerned that if they knew that i only wanted the free sim to check coverage, they may not have given me the free sim so i didn't select this answer.

i thought that if i did select that answer, they may send me a sim that is already activated so that i can check the signal. i don't know if their sim come activated or if i would have to put money in. i got o2 and vodafone PAYG sims last year and they were all pre activated so i am hoping that the 3 PAYG sim will be the same so I can check signal.
It wouldn't/couldn't affect your signal.
Banned
mattsokolinski9 h, 21 m ago

dont ever make your decision based on individual user with shitty …dont ever make your decision based on individual user with shitty experience. remember that companies usually have thousands or millions of customers... also think about lottery...furthermore if anyone is saying they have issues with Three data speeds or whatever I tend to show them this picture[Image]

I couldn't agree more with Mattsokolinski. Having said that, I had a very bad experience with them. Had cover everywhere except at my house for nearly a month. I had to walk down the road to make/receive phone calls and use data. Cancell contract and switched because of that but I agree with everyone else, they will offer you anything and everything to keep you as a customer. Was not worth it to me since I had no signal but customer service is really good.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants