3 Month Trip to Africa - Need a very cheap, pretty rugged phone

14 replies
Found 4th Dec 2016
As the title says. I just need something to call and send texts. No contract. I have done a search and Nokia often comes up but I rely on this forum as it often comes up with advice that proves useful.

If anyone has experience with using a cheap mobile when travelling in relatively rural Africa, incidentally it's Rwanda, then please let me know. Any links to good deals would be appreciated.

14 Comments

sorry ive only been as far as Anglesey

Just a suggestion but what about the Nokia 130 Dual SIM Handset? You would be limited to 2G GSM 900 / 1800 bands but it is something to consider IF those countries support that band range.

have you not thought of a basic smartphone? in some places you should be able to get wifi and then you will be able to snapchat your loved ones, live-tweet your bruncheon and insta your bathroom selfies (or, if you're that way inclined, just use it for cheap communication like messages and voice calls over the internet).
in this case, moto E is probably the cheapest used phone that allows you access to those apps. not very rugged in itself, but can probably be bulked up and protected with some cases

Original Poster

Scotty Boy

Just a suggestion but what about the Nokia 130 Dual SIM Handset? You … Just a suggestion but what about the Nokia 130 Dual SIM Handset? You would be limited to 2G GSM 900 / 1800 bands but it is something to consider IF those countries support that band range.

I never thought of bands - thank you. GSM Arena have a network coverage in Rwanda page which is handy. It supports GSM900 (2G) and UMTS 1900 and 2100 (3G). So thanks again for bringing that to my attention

Original Poster

DennisG

have you not thought of a basic smartphone? in some places you should be … have you not thought of a basic smartphone? in some places you should be able to get wifi and then you will be able to snapchat your loved ones, live-tweet your bruncheon and insta your bathroom selfies (or, if you're that way inclined, just use it for cheap communication like messages and voice calls over the internet).in this case, moto E is probably the cheapest used phone that allows you access to those apps. not very rugged in itself, but can probably be bulked up and protected with some cases

I think wifi will be limited but even if it's not the charity, ICS, have said that it needs to be very low key and even a basic smartphone will be a bit "we're flashy westerners" to the local population.

By the way, it's not me who's going but a family member - I wish it was me though!

i'm surprised by that, as i have family in africa and everyone - almost everyone - has had mobiles for 10 or more years. and from what i understand, rwanda has undergone quite the recovery and resurgence post-civil war. obviously i'm not in a position to be better informed than the people on the ground there. personally, if my smartphone was taken away to stop me from appearing to be flashy to the people i was trying to help, they could do one!! i'm all for clean water for all and whatnot but if it separates me from my phone and only link to (my) real life, i'll return to my warm palace in blighty and continue liking water aid's Facebook posts instead

JCB Tradesman £33.14 sim free.

Amazon Warehouse Deal 20% off - Damaged Packaging

Forgot to add if you want rugged those words with very cheap never really go together. As an example paid £450 for Moto TC55 devices and on paper with the specs you certainly would not want one as an everyday mobile but far as rugged goes one of the best in the price range. Or a Raptor R5 at around £430.

Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 4th Dec 2016

Original Poster

DennisG

i'm surprised by that, as i have family in africa and everyone - almost … i'm surprised by that, as i have family in africa and everyone - almost everyone - has had mobiles for 10 or more years. and from what i understand, rwanda has undergone quite the recovery and resurgence post-civil war. obviously i'm not in a position to be better informed than the people on the ground there. personally, if my smartphone was taken away to stop me from appearing to be flashy to the people i was trying to help, they could do one!! i'm all for clean water for all and whatnot but if it separates me from my phone and only link to (my) real life, i'll return to my warm palace in blighty and continue liking water aid's Facebook posts instead

Thanks. She hasn't received the location she'll be assigned to. As some are rural, they have their own culture so I think it's just a universal rule applied by ICS. Rwanda is considered safe other than an increased risk on the DRC borders.
Edited by: "RobertM0215" 4th Dec 2016

Banned

I'm interested in the trip rather than the mobile:)
take a few

Nokia 6310i from ebay.....Battery will very near last the trip length on a single charge

Original Poster

Thanks for the responses - all appreciated.

I'll take a closer look at all the phones mentioned including reviews and take it from there. I'll let you what I go for.

If anyone has other suggestions please let me know.

3210!!!!

Get an old iPhone 4s, you can get some top brand super rugged cases now really cheap. I've also got an old Moto E gen 1 with a rugged grip shell as 2nd phone. Great battery life. Crap camera, but love it
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Anyone else bored of video gaming2747
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247658
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769550
    4. First batch of original Xbox backwards compatible games22

See more discussions