3 of the 4 'hottest' deals today are for the same product and same price...

Posted 6th Jul 2020Edited by:"N898TS"
Why, oh why, are 3 of the 4 'hottest' deals (on desktop HUKD) for the same product, the Echo Dot with clock, from 3 different retailers (Currys, Argos and Amazon) all at the same price?

2 of the 3 deals are also posted by Pep Experts?

Why can't these just be combined into 1 thread, saying it's available from either of the 3 stores!?

@Dan@Jason

3500406.jpg

3500406.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
How ironic that the 4th deal is a Dr PEPper deal
@N898TS firstly can i say i appreciate the discussion as it is something that has bugged and bugged me since coming back to this site due to lockdown as i had no idea what an "expert" was until it was pointed out to me - i even got hate for posting deals as others thought i wanted to be an expert

I know your original question was about combining the deals but for me it's about something a lot bigger and what i see as a massive problem on here which discourages a lot of people to post and that's spam -
for instance the Amazon deal was posted at 00:01 (I know as not did i comment on it but bought the product for a colleague's birthday) then closer to 1 am the Argos deal was posted.
Now you cant say to me that the expert did not see @merb0786 deal and went hunting and then they all pilled in as usual, also on the Argos deal the amazon deal is not even credited as a source the poster put a link direct to Amazon - I know it's a different store but a simple "i found this deal due to ...... posting this deal" would have been nice

Also the issue of voting on these 2 deals bugged me the whole day with the amazon one being down voted whilst the Argos one given heat - for posters that is so demoralising and you really do question what is the point - i have said it for 2 months now - people should have to give a reason if they down vote by way of a clicking a drop down menu otherwise it just looks like users vote for "experts" and because an "expert" posts a deal it should be hot.
When actually if you take a step back and look at what happens - a deal is posted by a regular poster it goes hot, the expert then notes that and repost's and repost's that deal with no credit at all to the person that found it. The same goes for codes on a site, once a code is found on a site the whole website is posted on here and other deals are voted cold or forgotten

I post a lot of Amazon deals not cause i like amazon but i was using it during lockdown to help family and friends and thought it could help others, i know a lot of people have issues with Amazon and vote cold but when something like the following happens it really does .....annoy you so i can sympathise with how @merb0786 must feel

I posted this it went to - 150 hotukdeals.com/dea…805

A few hours later an "expert" posted this hotukdeals.com/dea…464
Both same price per item - when the price dropped i amended the title as i couldn't post due to being stuck in traffic after 10 mins an expert reposted my deal and that was allowed to stand due to the significant price drop both expert deal went hot

Another point is @merb0786 posted this in a discussion thread hotukdeals.com/dis…175
but it was never moved to a deal instead this was posted with no credit given
hotukdeals.com/dea…196

We have a great community here but the repost's, spam and toxicity to new poster's or poster's not being an "expert" is really ruining it
Edited by: "Diamond_Studd" 7th Jul
Hi @N898TS
We don't allow threads for multiple merchants and as you can see these three threads are posted by different members.
It would be most unfair to merge the threads into one on the OP's of the threads.
Also, there's no guarantee that the prices will remain at this price or remain in stock at all three merchants for exactly the same length of time.
Here is a link which you might find useful:
Publication Rules - hotukdeals.com/pub…les
37 Comments
Hi @N898TS
We don't allow threads for multiple merchants and as you can see these three threads are posted by different members.
It would be most unfair to merge the threads into one on the OP's of the threads.
Also, there's no guarantee that the prices will remain at this price or remain in stock at all three merchants for exactly the same length of time.
Here is a link which you might find useful:
Publication Rules - hotukdeals.com/pub…les
andywedge06/07/2020 17:54

Hi @N898TS We don't allow threads for multiple merchants and as you can …Hi @N898TS We don't allow threads for multiple merchants and as you can see these three threads are posted by different members.It would be most unfair to merge the threads into one on the OP's of the threads.Also, there's no guarantee that the prices will remain at this price or remain in stock at all three merchants for exactly the same length of time.Here is a link which you might find useful: Publication Rules - https://www.hotukdeals.com/publication-rules

Thanks for the reply @andywedge ,

Though doesn't this demonstrate that it's possibly spamming the site - and the two posts that followed the initial one can be seen to be taking advantage of the heat, for the exact same deal from a different retailer.

As @MadSka states - good job JL has no stock because if it had, then there's nothing to stop yet another deal being posted for the exact same product and price.

In this case doesn't it look like the PEP's have just found alternative stores in order to get the click-throughs?
How ironic that the 4th deal is a Dr PEPper deal
You raise a valid point @N898TS and appreciate the idea behind merging into one. I will say that back in the day when I joined, you had the ability to enter multiple merchants into one deal title but no longer exists anymore.
Edited by: "merb0786" 6th Jul
I completely agree. I know Andywedge has pointed out the rules, but Rules aren't always correct and i think its very strange having the same product posted multiple times, even if they are from different vendors. If a user scrolls past one of them, they aren't going to be interested in the other posts for them either.

It means that other (potentially more useful/better) deals are overshadowed and could well be overlooked. Its a rule that needs correcting IMO.
N898TS06/07/2020 17:58

Thanks for the reply @andywedge ,Though doesn't this demonstrate that it's …Thanks for the reply @andywedge ,Though doesn't this demonstrate that it's possibly spamming the site - and the two posts that followed the initial one can be seen to be taking advantage of the heat, for the exact same deal from a different retailer. As @MadSka states - good job JL has no stock because if it had, then there's nothing to stop yet another deal being posted for the exact same product and price. In this case doesn't it look like the PEP's have just found alternative stores in order to get the click-throughs?

I never have an issue with Deals being posted.
If something is posted that is RRP we would move that to Discusions, but what has happened here is a number of merchants have reduced it at the ame time and the Deals have been posted. This happens every now and then (take Disney for example when they regularly have Blu-ray offers across numerous merchants) and it's great that they are posted.
We did previously allow multiple merchants in one Deal thread but it created far too many problems e.g wrongly being expired, constantly requiring edits, links needing to be changed, items going OOS at one merchant but not at another and then coming back in stock but then out of stock at a different merchant and any other issues. Hence why we don't allow that now. It would drive me bonkers.
Managing one thread per merchant is much easier and also, bear in mind people prefer different merchants. They may have an Amazon giftcard or Currys etc and prefer to use that merchant.
Theres actually a FOURTH duplicate as well! 41313086-w24tu.jpg
This is getting silly...
andywedge06/07/2020 18:11

I never have an issue with Deals being posted. If something is posted that …I never have an issue with Deals being posted. If something is posted that is RRP we would move that to Discusions, but what has happened here is a number of merchants have reduced it at the ame time and the Deals have been posted. This happens every now and then (take Disney for example when they regularly have Blu-ray offers across numerous merchants) and it's great that they are posted. We did previously allow multiple merchants in one Deal thread but it created far too many problems e.g wrongly being expired, constantly requiring edits, links needing to be changed, items going OOS at one merchant but not at another and then coming back in stock but then out of stock at a different merchant and any other issues. Hence why we don't allow that now. It would drive me bonkers. Managing one thread per merchant is much easier and also, bear in mind people prefer different merchants. They may have an Amazon giftcard or Currys etc and prefer to use that merchant.

That's fair enough @andywedge

Though is it not a bit unfair that the likes of @merb0786 receive nothing in return for posting the first, and actual deal,

Yet both @idontflycathay and @apur32 will likely receive PEP commission per click, for recycling the same deal just with different merchants?
Edited by: "N898TS" 6th Jul
andywedge06/07/2020 18:11

If something is posted that is RRP we would move that to Discusions

I don't normally get involved in these discussions but wanted to ask about why this, for example, isn't moved to Discussions? It's the highest price this product has ever been sold at on Amazon in its 4 years being listed. The "deal" appears to be that the item is in stock?

hotukdeals.com/dea…288
Edited by: "lyesbkz" 6th Jul
Actually reminders are good, so all for it. Perhaps we should have more of these.
This has bugged me all day too. Perhaps the ability to at least hide a specific deal so I won't have to see it anymore?
Agree with mega threads not getting posted because you get heat for effort but the likes of Amazon deals we all know that if one drops them they all drop them. And we all know that as soon as one poster sees them the gang are straight out there looking to see who has copied.

@Jason really should be a new rule for these types of deals.
eslick06/07/2020 21:02

Agree with mega threads not getting posted because you get heat for effort …Agree with mega threads not getting posted because you get heat for effort but the likes of Amazon deals we all know that if one drops them they all drop them. And we all know that as soon as one poster sees them the gang are straight out there looking to see who has copied.@Jason really should be a new rule for these types of deals.

I actually found the first price drop at midnight via Amazon however my deal has not benefitted from as much exposure on the site compared to the price-match deals but that is the way things go sometimes.
Edited by: "merb0786" 6th Jul
Black Monday for Amazon
merb078606/07/2020 21:15

I actually found the first price drop at midnight via Amazon however my …I actually found the first price drop at midnight via Amazon however my deal has not benefitted from as much exposure on the site compared to the price-match deals but that is the way things go sometimes.

Yeah depends who is online at the time, a few years ago deals were going manic after midnight but not so much any more.
Willy_Wonka06/07/2020 21:17

Black Monday for Amazon

You're not allowed to say that now, someone will get offended
Noticed it too
Saw that Merb0786 posted the deal 1 minute past midnight then the 2nd repeat deal a little later
hilarious thread
It's now 4 out of the top 10 deals
SPAMING for amazon for their creepy devices !!
Hey. I've been tagged so wanted to chip in here, but nothing to add to what @andywedge described so well.

I'd agree it isn't ideal to have this many deals for similar items - however the alternative is worse. We want to have all the best offers here, so flagging all the retailers who have this price is important. People prefer various retailers - they may or may not have Prime, the might be popping into a Sainsbury's with an Argos inside or live near a Currys, for instance.

If they were all in one thread, not only do we have the issues with edits, titles not including every shop name and stock/prices expiring at different times - but it would also rely on one OP or a member of the site staff spotting all the extra prices.

To have the situation of today is pretty rare - across all the more usual situations we see, we're convinced the publication rules lead to better results, even if they aren't perfect.

Thanks for the feedback
Edited by: "Dan" 6th Jul
@N898TS firstly can i say i appreciate the discussion as it is something that has bugged and bugged me since coming back to this site due to lockdown as i had no idea what an "expert" was until it was pointed out to me - i even got hate for posting deals as others thought i wanted to be an expert

I know your original question was about combining the deals but for me it's about something a lot bigger and what i see as a massive problem on here which discourages a lot of people to post and that's spam -
for instance the Amazon deal was posted at 00:01 (I know as not did i comment on it but bought the product for a colleague's birthday) then closer to 1 am the Argos deal was posted.
Now you cant say to me that the expert did not see @merb0786 deal and went hunting and then they all pilled in as usual, also on the Argos deal the amazon deal is not even credited as a source the poster put a link direct to Amazon - I know it's a different store but a simple "i found this deal due to ...... posting this deal" would have been nice

Also the issue of voting on these 2 deals bugged me the whole day with the amazon one being down voted whilst the Argos one given heat - for posters that is so demoralising and you really do question what is the point - i have said it for 2 months now - people should have to give a reason if they down vote by way of a clicking a drop down menu otherwise it just looks like users vote for "experts" and because an "expert" posts a deal it should be hot.
When actually if you take a step back and look at what happens - a deal is posted by a regular poster it goes hot, the expert then notes that and repost's and repost's that deal with no credit at all to the person that found it. The same goes for codes on a site, once a code is found on a site the whole website is posted on here and other deals are voted cold or forgotten

I post a lot of Amazon deals not cause i like amazon but i was using it during lockdown to help family and friends and thought it could help others, i know a lot of people have issues with Amazon and vote cold but when something like the following happens it really does .....annoy you so i can sympathise with how @merb0786 must feel

I posted this it went to - 150 hotukdeals.com/dea…805

A few hours later an "expert" posted this hotukdeals.com/dea…464
Both same price per item - when the price dropped i amended the title as i couldn't post due to being stuck in traffic after 10 mins an expert reposted my deal and that was allowed to stand due to the significant price drop both expert deal went hot

Another point is @merb0786 posted this in a discussion thread hotukdeals.com/dis…175
but it was never moved to a deal instead this was posted with no credit given
hotukdeals.com/dea…196

We have a great community here but the repost's, spam and toxicity to new poster's or poster's not being an "expert" is really ruining it
Edited by: "Diamond_Studd" 7th Jul
Ruined a long time ago
Diamond_Studd07/07/2020 01:02

@N898TS firstly can i say i appreciate the discussion as it is something …@N898TS firstly can i say i appreciate the discussion as it is something that has bugged and bugged me since coming back to this site due to lockdown as i had no idea what an "expert" was until it was pointed out to me - i even got hate for posting deals as others thought i wanted to be an expert I know your original question was about combining the deals but for me it's about something a lot bigger and what i see as a massive problem on here which discourages a lot of people to post and that's spam - for instance the Amazon deal was posted at 00:01 (I know as not did i comment on it but bought the product for a colleague's birthday) then closer to 1 am the Argos deal was posted.Now you cant say to me that the expert did not see @merb0786 deal and went hunting and then they all pilled in as usual, also on the Argos deal the amazon deal is not even credited as a source the poster put a link direct to Amazon - I know it's a different store but a simple "i found this deal due to ...... posting this deal" would have been niceAlso the issue of voting on these 2 deals bugged me the whole day with the amazon one being down voted whilst the Argos one given heat - for posters that is so demoralising and you really do question what is the point - i have said it for 2 months now - people should have to give a reason if they down vote by way of a clicking a drop down menu otherwise it just looks like users vote for "experts" and because an "expert" posts a deal it should be hot. When actually if you take a step back and look at what happens - a deal is posted by a regular poster it goes hot, the expert then notes that and repost's and repost's that deal with no credit at all to the person that found it. The same goes for codes on a site, once a code is found on a site the whole website is posted on here and other deals are voted cold or forgottenI post a lot of Amazon deals not cause i like amazon but i was using it during lockdown to help family and friends and thought it could help others, i know a lot of people have issues with Amazon and vote cold but when something like the following happens it really does .....annoy you so i can sympathise with how @merb0786 must feelI posted this it went to - 150 https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/pack-of-6-men-expert-stress-resist-shower-gel-for-men-total-clean-shower-gel-for-men-300-ml-each-9-at-amazon-3496805A few hours later an "expert" posted this https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/loreal-men-expert-shower-gel-clean-power-300ml-149-prime-449-non-prime-at-amazon-3497464Both same price per item - when the price dropped i amended the title as i couldn't post due to being stuck in traffic after 10 mins an expert reposted my deal and that was allowed to stand due to the significant price drop both expert deal went hotAnother point is @merb0786 posted this in a discussion thread https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/days-of-play-2020-sale-possibly-30-off-ps-plus-12-months-sony-playstation-vr-bundle-death-stranding-spider-man-from-255-86-3467175 but it was never moved to a deal instead this was posted with no credit givenhttps://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ps4-days-of-play-2020-days-gone-1599-death-stranding-2499-playstation-store-3469196We have a great community here but the repost's, spam and toxicity to new poster's or poster's not being an "expert" is really ruining it

Couldn't agree more with everything you've put here

I've seen Pepper experts repost the exact same deal from the same store hours after a non-expert posted - zero Flumps given when challenged.
Gamebear8807/07/2020 07:00

Couldn't agree more with everything you've put here I've seen Pepper …Couldn't agree more with everything you've put here I've seen Pepper experts repost the exact same deal from the same store hours after a non-expert posted - zero Flumps given when challenged.

If an item was reposted hours after being originally posted, at the same store and same price, the second deal will be deleted.

Do you have any examples I can check out, please?
I still can't believe a deal that reaches almost 1700° isn't deemed a highlight. I feel that Amazon not paying any commission on sales has a role to play in this.
Hi all

Happy to let this discussion run, but can we try to ensure comments don't become personal about any individual or groups of users. We want this to be a welcoming and friendly place for anyone to come to share deals.

On the point about crediting where one saw a deal, we always like to see this happening. Yet there is both no way to be certain where a poster saw the deal, and therefore no way to enforce or ensure accurate credit is given.

In some examples given here, the deal was in a different store to the earlier deal posted, so there is absolutely no way to be sure it was seen by the next poster. So please do not call people out on this - it's not polite, and you may be barking up the wrong tree.
The issue here doesn’t really bother me that much. It’s only an issue if you’re interested in being the hottest deal of the day.

@apur32 and @idontflycathay , Keep doing what you guys are doing. You’ve saved me enough over the years (before and after becoming Peps), so thank you.
RedNWhite07/07/2020 07:21

I still can't believe a deal that reaches almost 1700° isn't deemed a …I still can't believe a deal that reaches almost 1700° isn't deemed a highlight. I feel that Amazon not paying any commission on sales has a role to play in this.

There are many factors that go into how highlights are generated. However, Amazon has had 919 deals on the highlights page this year, more than any other seller (by quite a huge distance actually)
WorthingBloke06/07/2020 20:30

This has bugged me all day too. Perhaps the ability to at least hide a …This has bugged me all day too. Perhaps the ability to at least hide a specific deal so I won't have to see it anymore?

This is another thing that needs to be implimented too, ive mentioned this in the past.
Ive logged on in the past, and 8 of the 10 hottest deals were all console games. To me, there should be a feature to hide more specific categories (i am aware that you can already hide more general categories, but for example i dont have a PS4 and have no intention of buying one at any price, i wish i could hide all PS4 related items)
118luke07/07/2020 09:19

This is another thing that needs to be implimented too, ive mentioned this …This is another thing that needs to be implimented too, ive mentioned this in the past.Ive logged on in the past, and 8 of the 10 hottest deals were all console games. To me, there should be a feature to hide more specific categories (i am aware that you can already hide more general categories, but for example i dont have a PS4 and have no intention of buying one at any price, i wish i could hide all PS4 related items)

We are actually working on some things to make the site a much more customised/personalised experience - hoping to have something to talk to you all about in next few months
Dan07/07/2020 09:24

We are actually working on some things to make the site a much more …We are actually working on some things to make the site a much more customised/personalised experience - hoping to have something to talk to you all about in next few months

Could someone fix the search? I'm joking, that implies it once worked.
splatsplatsplat07/07/2020 09:33

Could someone fix the search? I'm joking, that implies it once worked.

We'd love to - sadly it is much harder than one (I include myself!) would initially assume
Dan07/07/2020 09:18

There are many factors that go into how highlights are generated. However, …There are many factors that go into how highlights are generated. However, Amazon has had 919 deals on the highlights page this year, more than any other seller (by quite a huge distance actually)

That's good to know, but not sure it explains why two deals were highlighted over the higher heat original on this particular occasion.

Just to add, it's a nice feeling when we see our deals highlighted as it shows recognition and appreciation for our efforts. In this case I can see why Merb would feel frustrated, I'm sure you do too.
The problem here is only one and quite obvious for me. Experts get to much of favouritism. Argos deal went on highlights having less hot votes then the original deal. Currys deal went on highlights having half of the hot votes of the original deal. I do understand mods push experts deals up, no problem with that...but if there are two the same deals (from different merchants), one posted first and by normal user with say 1000 hots and second deal posted by an expert later and the second deal gets all the glory as being highlighted (and because of that getting much more votes) it's a bit unfair to the original poster. What's worst even the third deal for the same item has been highlighted...of course posted by an expert. It's happened to me many times, deal posted and went hot, following day an expert posts exactly the same deal but from a different merchant and in spite of having less heat go on highlights. A bit strange.

Imo its not about the same deal from different merchants. One person can have Amazon or Argos vouchers, somebody else can have work discount in Currys...it just about to be fair and treat us equally (by us I mean our deals). Experts do a great job, houndrets of great deals, thanks for that but we all create a community in here and showing that one is better then other is not great.
ms8407/07/2020 12:32

The problem here is only one and quite obvious for me. Experts get to much …The problem here is only one and quite obvious for me. Experts get to much of favouritism. Argos deal went on highlights having less hot votes then the original deal. Currys deal went on highlights having half of the hot votes of the original deal. I do understand mods push experts deals up, no problem with that...but if there are two the same deals (from different merchants), one posted first and by normal user with say 1000 hots and second deal posted by an expert later and the second deal gets all the glory as being highlighted (and because of that getting much more votes) it's a bit unfair to the original poster. What's worst even the third deal for the same item has been highlighted...of course posted by an expert. It's happened to me many times, deal posted and went hot, following day an expert posts exactly the same deal but from a different merchant and in spite of having less heat go on highlights. A bit strange. Imo its not about the same deal from different merchants. One person can have Amazon or Argos vouchers, somebody else can have work discount in Currys...it just about to be fair and treat us equally (by us I mean our deals). Experts do a great job, houndrets of great deals, thanks for that but we all create a community in here and showing that one is better then other is not great.

Well said @ms84 👏
Post a comment
@
    Text