30 Days notice with Vodafone. Since when have you had to give written consent

Found 16th Feb 2012
Would never of signed with them if I thought I had to give 30 days written notice to a mobile contract I'm no longer in, my 18months was up and now in a rolling contract.

02 simple just asked to go.
Orange just asked to go.

Bit of whine here but anyone had any experience with vodafone. Got some arrogant get where I asked him to point me to this.
Community Updates
MiscVodafone
21 Comments
Sounds like crap, delete the direct debit.
I think its just a scam with more money when i wanted to leave o2 they were liek you said, no problem
3 puts up a fight and wont take no for an answer.
just cancel your ddeb mate.

you have finished ya contract. make up some b.**** that you emailed it to them and isnt your fault they aint got it
The best way to leave a mobile network is get your pac number from them move your number to another network that way you don't need to give notice as contract finishes as soon as it moves across and it takes less than a week.
I did it from vodafone to orange and it only took 3 days.
If your not bothered about keeping the number move it to any free sim you have about then bin it.
Never had to write to them.
I just tell them i want to leave (give me PUK code) and they start it off.
Thats about as far as i get though as they usually phone me up the next day with a vastly improved retention offer lol.
Original Poster
Sturty

The best way to leave a mobile network is get your pac number from them … The best way to leave a mobile network is get your pac number from them move your number to another network that way you don't need to give notice as contract finishes as soon as it moves across and it takes less than a week.I did it from vodafone to orange and it only took 3 days.If your not bothered about keeping the number move it to any free sim you have about then bin it.

Okay was thinking about Tesco mobile but I wanted to get cashback, would I be able to ring them afterwards with the pac code and quote I have just signed up here?
There should be an option for you to enter your PAC code when you sign up online.
When I was with Voda I had to give 30 days notice too, I’m sure it’s written in the contract somewhere. They accepted mine by e-mail. Don’t cancel your DD because that will only lead to more problems when they try and take the money out and it bounces/more charges added to your account. Speak to someone on the Voda forum, they were quite helpful with me when I went on there (albeit this was a few years ago mind).
fluffyundacrakas

When I was with Voda I had to give 30 days notice too, I’m sure it’s wri … When I was with Voda I had to give 30 days notice too, I’m sure it’s written in the contract somewhere. They accepted mine by e-mail. Don’t cancel your DD because that will only lead to more problems when they try and take the money out and it bounces/more charges added to your account. Speak to someone on the Voda forum, they were quite helpful with me when I went on there (albeit this was a few years ago mind).

This.

It's been years since I had a vodafone account (it was the first mobile I had in 1998) but that had to be cancelled in writing too.

If memory serves, I may have had an O2 contract like that once too.
Adam2050

Okay was thinking about Tesco mobile but I wanted to get cashback, would … Okay was thinking about Tesco mobile but I wanted to get cashback, would I be able to ring them afterwards with the pac code and quote I have just signed up here?

I did this recently. You just give Tesco the PAC after they open the account. They send you a phone and new number then when they receive the PAC they transfer the old number to the new phone. I'm not sure though how long you have after opening the account before your new number becomes permanent.

I should add that you do not need to give Vodafone written notice when you use the PAC. The use of the PAC by the new provider acts as termination of the contract. The only time this doesn't apply is when you transfer to another phone (PAYG or contract) with the same company.

Do not cancel the direct debit. You are on contract until you cancel by whatever method. Cancelling the DD will put you in breach and probably effect your credit rating.
Edited by: "Krosus" 16th Feb 2012
This is the reply I got from Vodafone when I asked what I have to do about cancelling my contract which ends in May and possibly moving to PAYG.

Thank you for writing to Vodafone customer services.

I would like to inform you that your commitment end date for your number XXXXXXXXXXX is XX/XX/2012.

I would like to inform you that that you need give us 30 day notice that you wish to transfer your number to a pay as you go number. After we receive a confirmation from your side we cancel your account and migrate to pay as you go number.

If you wish to cancel that contract you have to pay the early termination fee ETF. The ETF on your number is £XX.XX as of now. This amount reduces on daily basis.

I trust this helps.
Pauladin91

Sounds like crap, delete the direct debit.

Havince

just cancel your ddeb mate.you have finished ya contract. make up some … just cancel your ddeb mate.you have finished ya contract. make up some b.**** that you emailed it to them and isnt your fault they aint got it

^^^Poor advice.

Are you complaining that you have to give 30 days notice, or is it because it is 30 days written notice?
Edited by: "thesaint" 16th Feb 2012
Its 30 days notice, always has been, always will be, pretty much standard across the board I am afraid.

But.. they may be willing to accept cancellation over the phone.. it is 30 days written because therefore you can prove you gave notice. Over the phone would be entirely their discretion.

I think that is correct anyway.
Original Poster
Never had the problem with 02 or Orange. It was more the lack of advice given by the persons in charge of the cancelling. Thanks all for the advice I will acquire the PUK code seems to be the best bet.
30 days notice does not need to be written. This can be done over the phone as all calls are recorded, but for your sake, note down the name of the agent you speak to, plus the date and time of the call, and any other notes during the call. Email these to yourself so you always have a copy.
Banned
Daftfool666

Its 30 days notice, always has been, always will be, pretty much standard … Its 30 days notice, always has been, always will be, pretty much standard across the board I am afraid.But.. they may be willing to accept cancellation over the phone.. it is 30 days written because therefore you can prove you gave notice. Over the phone would be entirely their discretion.I think that is correct anyway.

So when the postman fails to deliver, you have proof you've cancelled?

Adam. Just ring them back and tell them to stop being ass's. You need to notify them of you cancellation and thats what youve done. Ask the persons name also.... regardless on whether they agree to do so or not.
Adam2050

Never had the problem with 02 or Orange. It was more the lack of advice … Never had the problem with 02 or Orange. It was more the lack of advice given by the persons in charge of the cancelling. Thanks all for the advice I will acquire the PUK code seems to be the best bet.

Adam it's a PAC (porting authorisation code) you want not a PUK, thats a different thing to do with unlocking the phone.
I cancelled mine via the live chat option on the website, they had to transfer me to another dept but was quite quick. Was only about a forthnight ago.

I am currently experiencing the same problem with Vodafone. My contract ended on 21 october. I called them and told them i am moving to another provider. They agreed and supplief the pac code. 2 days later i got a bill for £242! I not only mystified how they arrived at such a figure it has caused me great stress. But these posts have helped me. I have no intention of paying them. Vodafone have been a very poor service provider and a very expensive mistake. Never again. ......
U do not need to give notice, although i bluffed to leave last year requesting for my pac code, 1 day after my contract expired, they were gonna give it but retentions gave me a great deal, that i just had to stay, will be doing the same this year (in 2 weeks time). I'm on simo plan though not the rolling contract....
Never cancel a direct debit for anything to get out of a contract. (Utility, Phone Sky etc)

It just cancels your means of paying, not your commitment to the service.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions