Groups

30 quid taken from debit card for o2 fraud grrrrrrr

Just been on the phone to the Halifax,logged into online banking and noticed 30 quid gone out on Sept 25th,which defo wasn't me.

I don't have a car so its not been done at a petrol station & i don't use it at supermarkets so it must have happened when i've bought goods online.

I've used the card online this month a few times and from 2 places i've never used before after seeing deals on here.

So just a reminder for people to check their accounts.

The 2 new places are cheapsmells.com & lenawhite.co.uk

Other places i've used it online are :

John Lewis

Mandmdirect

Amazon

20 Comments

What does the online transaction say?

Original Poster

Oh and the lady at the Halifax wasn't even going to cancel the card until i asked her to,she was about to go off the phone and i said aren't you going to cancel it,she said i can do,if you want ???

If i want ??? errrrrrrrrrrr der !! of course i want !!

Original Poster

Adam2050;6439565

What does the online transaction say?

It says

O2(Uk)ltd Prepay

Original Poster

dcx_badass;6439678

Phone voucher to test if the card works.

Yes i know,had it happen once before on a Halifax CC and they did exactly the same thing,Halifax never cancelled the card and they used it again for more o2 top ups:roll:

That's why this time i made a point of asking to cancel.

dcx_badass;6439678

Phone voucher to test if the card works.

I had this then a few days later someone tried to buy £200 worth of stuff from Comet but it was tagged as suspect by my card company.

Banned

this is the most common fraud (o2 x £20/£30)

never been to shopto?

deb8z;6439702

Yes i know,had it happen once before on a Halifax CC and they did exactly … Yes i know,had it happen once before on a Halifax CC and they did exactly the same thing,Halifax never cancelled the card and they used it again for more o2 top ups:roll:That's why this time i made a point of asking to cancel.

Crazy.

I have had exactly the same thing today (transaction dated 29th Sept) - with my LloydsTSB account

£15 to 02(UK)Ltd Prepay

Phoned Lloyds and cancelled the card/transaction. They are pretty good about this sort of thing tbh.
    I have had exactly the same problem on 2 other cards recently as well - Abbey and Mastercard.
    I thing those two were linked to Shopto, but this one, I have no idea. The Abbey prepay transaction was followed up by an attempted payment of £500 to Travelodge, which thankfully Abbey blocked on my behalf.

It makes me really furious to see how easily these guys seem to be able get hold of card details and make fraudulent transactions. Speaking to the Fraud dept at Lloyds, they seem as mystified as me, and could only recommend checking your bank account every few days.

deb8z;6439574

It saysO2(Uk)ltd Prepay

This happened to me last week, as they've stolen over £200 from my account and I'm waiting to findout if they'll refund me. :x

inb4 someone blames shopto.net

akme;6439750

inb4 someone blames shopto.net

Too late lol

Original Poster

I've seen the threads for shopto

I've never used them.

Original Poster

dancrawley;6439727

I have had exactly the same thing today (transaction dated 29th Sept) - … I have had exactly the same thing today (transaction dated 29th Sept) - with my LloydsTSB account£15 to 02(UK)Ltd PrepayPhoned Lloyds and cancelled the card/transaction. They are pretty good about this sort of thing tbh.I have had exactly the same problem on 2 other cards recently as well - Abbey Business and Mastercard.I thing those two were linked to Shopto, but this one, I have no idea. The Abbey prepay transaction was followed up by an attempted payment of £500 to Travelodge, which thankfully Abbey blocked on my behalf.It makes me really furious to see how easily these guys seem to be able get hold of card details and make fraudulent transactions. Speaking to the Fraud dept at Lloyds, they seem as mystified as me, and could only recommend checking your bank account every few days.

Had you used it at any of the places i had in the OP ?

Original Poster

realfriendlyman;6439738

This happened to me last week, as they've stolen over £200 from my … This happened to me last week, as they've stolen over £200 from my account and I'm waiting to findout if they'll refund me. :x

deb8z;6439788

Yes, it was registered at Amazon and John Lewis, but I would tend to trust the security on those two sites (perhaps foolishly). I haven't used the card much lately - a few cash withdrawals from the Post Office, McDs the other day. Nothing online for weeks.

The most frustrating thing to me is not/never knowing where the card details have been taken from. :x

This is weird, I spoke to my bank atwest yesterday and they told me that someone had taken £30 from my account for O2!

Original Poster

I've seen lots of this type of thread but what i don't get is,why does it always seem to be o2 and nobody else?

I've used Cheap smells in the past without problem, so I would be inclined to eliminate them from your suspect list.
    I'm just going to log onto my bank accounts now and see if anything suspicious going on. As £20 / £30 could easily slip through the net as i'm sure it wouldn't be seen as suspicious activity by any bank

Just checked my Lloyds TSB account - no unknown spends - have never used Shopto.net so is that the possible dodgy site security?
    Also checked my credit card which I use for majority of purchases. No unknown spends on there either (lots of spends, but I can't blame anyone else for them LOL)

Banned

my gf had this done to her, from the yorkshire area the money was taken from, they take £30 :@

Had this happen to me in April. They took £80 in increments for o2/Vodafone top-ups.

Lloyds TSB cancelled the card and refunded me thankfully.

I did and do shop at Shopto like others have mentioned, but I buy masses online so it could of been a leak anywhere as far as I know. Also use Amazon and have used JL before.

What's worse is the sickening feeling of having your personal bank account information tapped into, and feeling violated.

Also had a Paypal/eBay hack on my accounts recently so I'm ****ed off with it all tbh.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Finally got a Xbox one s22
      2. Marvel characters22
      3. Battery drain on iOS 111316
      4. Just an thought regarding Paypal1110

See more discussions