32 inch UHD Monitor Recommendations - £400 Budget

Posted 20th Sep
As mentioned in the title I am looking for a 32 inch UHD monitor for around £400 or less with the following Inputs: 1 DP, 1 HDMI 2.0, 1 Audio Out (Optionally an additional HDMI 1.4 or 2.0).

Other features such as Freesync would be nice not essential.

I have had a look on Amazon and it there seems to be lots from the likes of Samsung, BenQ, Viewsonic, LG, Acer... I'm guessing they all use the same VA panel but hard to tell which is the best.

I will be using it for PC (Display Port) and Games Consoles (Xbox One X, Switch, PS4), any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Gormond
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
Save your money and get an old crt type monitor. Better results apparently.

Eurogamer
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 20th Sep
Ringfinger20/09/2019 08:59

Save your money and get an old crt type monitor. Better results …Save your money and get an old crt type monitor. Better results apparently.Eurogamer

I seen that, although high end CRTs like they were using will probably set you back about the same!
Gormond20/09/2019 09:40

I seen that, although high end CRTs like they were using will probably set …I seen that, although high end CRTs like they were using will probably set you back about the same!

Very interesting reading though. Better on the eyes too.
Ringfinger20/09/2019 11:33

Very interesting reading though. Better on the eyes too.

I wouldn't have though the flickering of a CRT would be better for the eyes? I remember them giving me terrible headaches and eye strain that I don't get with modern LCDs.
Gormond20/09/2019 11:41

I wouldn't have though the flickering of a CRT would be better for the …I wouldn't have though the flickering of a CRT would be better for the eyes? I remember them giving me terrible headaches and eye strain that I don't get with modern LCDs.

Problem with lcd screens is that each pixel has to be 'switched' on for a fraction of time so the eyes can register. Then be switched off and the colour changed. This causes 'flickering'. A CRT screen is basically a reverse screen projector, with the image projected onto a glass screen. The image transition is done at the speed of light, and almost flawless. Read the article. It's very informative.
As for your headaches... all monitors, tvs, phones etc cause people to concentrate more and squinting. This on turn causes headaches. However as technology improves this becomes less of a problem, also we are all becoming more adapted to using them.
Ringfinger20/09/2019 15:27

Problem with lcd screens is that each pixel has to be 'switched' on for a …Problem with lcd screens is that each pixel has to be 'switched' on for a fraction of time so the eyes can register. Then be switched off and the colour changed. This causes 'flickering'. A CRT screen is basically a reverse screen projector, with the image projected onto a glass screen. The image transition is done at the speed of light, and almost flawless. Read the article. It's very informative.As for your headaches... all monitors, tvs, phones etc cause people to concentrate more and squinting. This on turn causes headaches. However as technology improves this becomes less of a problem, also we are all becoming more adapted to using them.

I did but that isn't what they are saying.

In CRTs you write to the screen at the speed of light but you then don't write again for 1/60th of a second (or what ever the screens refresh rate is), during that time the screen will go black until you write again. This is easy to test, film your CRT with a phone at 240 FPS or look up a video of someone who has and you will see clear flickering to black (aliasing). Headaches caused by this are the same you get from fluorescent tube lighting which is 50Hz (in the UK) which luckily has been phased out nowadays.

LCDs use "sample and hold" which means it holds on to the previous colour until its told to change, so no flickering. although you do have the disadvantage of motion blur as it doesn't instantly change from one colour to another.
Gormond20/09/2019 18:04

I did but that isn't what they are saying.In CRTs you write to the screen …I did but that isn't what they are saying.In CRTs you write to the screen at the speed of light but you then don't write again for 1/60th of a second (or what ever the screens refresh rate is), during that time the screen will go black until you write again. This is easy to test, film your CRT with a phone at 240 FPS or look up a video of someone who has and you will see clear flickering to black (aliasing). Headaches caused by this are the same you get from fluorescent tube lighting which is 50Hz (in the UK) which luckily has been phased out nowadays.LCDs use "sample and hold" which means it holds on to the previous colour until its told to change, so no flickering. although you do have the disadvantage of motion blur as it doesn't instantly change from one colour to another.

OK. I misunderstood. I underside the bit about motion blur .
Bumping this to see if anyone has any useful information regarding this topic
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants