32" TV Dillema

Posted 13th Jan
So as me and the OH are aging we are finding our 22" full HD Samsung bedroom TV a bit small and hard to read so have been looking for a bigger TV and measuring up I can wall mount a 32" in it's place.

Now the dilemma, I have narrowed it down for various reasons (one being voice intergration) to these 2 TV's johnlewis.com/lg-…362 which is 720p

and
currys.co.uk/gbu…tml which is full HD

Both the same price but the John Lewis has 5yr warranty as opposed to Currys 1 year and the trouble I had over Christmas with Currys CS is putting me off a bit.

Would the 5yr warranty sway it being a 720p vs 1080p and would I really notice the difference considering we will be 10ft away?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

26 Comments
720p is quite outdated these days. However, it depends what you'll use it for. If you are only going to connect it to standard terrestrial TV, then you'll notice no difference. If you are going to connect it to set top boxes or certain media players, then you'll need to consider full HD more seriously.
mg199513/01/2020 07:43

720p is quite outdated these days. However, it depends what you'll use it …720p is quite outdated these days. However, it depends what you'll use it for. If you are only going to connect it to standard terrestrial TV, then you'll notice no difference. If you are going to connect it to set top boxes or certain media players, then you'll need to consider full HD more seriously.

It will be just to a normal aerial and for Netflix and Prime, also to play some downloaded movies off my NAS, it's not going to be highly used.
T2000Bill13/01/2020 07:47

It will be just to a normal aerial and for Netflix and Prime, also to play …It will be just to a normal aerial and for Netflix and Prime, also to play some downloaded movies off my NAS, it's not going to be highly used.

With those media sources, full HD would likely be beneficial for image quality. But it really depends on whether that matters to you.

People get very elitist about TVs for some reason. But they all basically do the same thing - they will all play your media.

If you prefer image quality, go for the Currys one. If you prefer warranty, go for the John Lewis.
mg199513/01/2020 07:49

With those media sources, full HD would likely be beneficial for image …With those media sources, full HD would likely be beneficial for image quality. But it really depends on whether that matters to you.People get very elitist about TVs for some reason. But they all basically do the same thing - they will all play your media.If you prefer image quality, go for the Currys one. If you prefer warranty, go for the John Lewis.

Thanks, I don't think at the distance I'll be watching it at I would really see the difference so would rather I think go for the extra warranty as Currys really pi..ed me off over Christmas, cheers for the help.
See if John Lewis have the same tv as curry’s as they will price match and you will still get the 5 years warranty
Arto13/01/2020 08:02

See if John Lewis have the same tv as curry’s as they will price match and …See if John Lewis have the same tv as curry’s as they will price match and you will still get the 5 years warranty

They don't unfortunately I checked
T2000Bill13/01/2020 07:57

Thanks, I don't think at the distance I'll be watching it at I would …Thanks, I don't think at the distance I'll be watching it at I would really see the difference so would rather I think go for the extra warranty as Currys really pi..ed me off over Christmas, cheers for the help.

I bought an LG 4K 43 inch on November.

I refuse to pay £12pm for Netflix so have it in basic, and NowTV Movies in 720 also.

There isn't really any noticeable difference in picture quality due to the HDR upscaling the picture as far as I'm concerned.

I've never found myself watching Amazon 4K content then streaming a film from now in 720 and seeing a real difference.

On a smaller screen and a larger distance I really don't think you'd see any real difference either.

I'd go for the warranty personally. 4 years on peace of mind is worth something Vs a one year headache.
Possibly worth noting that if you buy from JL and have an issue during the 5 years chances are there wouldn't be a 720p set to replace it with so likely end up with a 1080p ??!!??
Edited by: "360finder" 13th Jan
360finder13/01/2020 08:57

Possibly worth noting that if you buy from JL and have an issue during the …Possibly worth noting that if you buy from JL and have an issue during the 5 years chances are there wouldn't be a 720p set to replace it with so likely end up with a 1080p ??!!??

Ohhh, that's a very good point there, they would just replace it with a current replacement model, nice I like that thinking, well the deed is done, thanks.
I went to buy my daughter a 32” 4ktv for her room last year and found there really isn’t many 4K options and most are releasing new TVs in 720p at 32”, I’m guessing at that small size there isn’t much difference. In the end I got her a 42” 4k for £250 and found the 42” market is so much better and far cheaper as well. There wasn’t a single 32” 4k for as cheap.
Will 42” be to big of you get a one without a besel?
360finder13/01/2020 08:57

Possibly worth noting that if you buy from JL and have an issue during the …Possibly worth noting that if you buy from JL and have an issue during the 5 years chances are there wouldn't be a 720p set to replace it with so likely end up with a 1080p ??!!??

Not true most 2019 32” sets are 720p
toonsquirel13/01/2020 09:09

I went to buy my daughter a 32” 4ktv for her room last year and found t …I went to buy my daughter a 32” 4ktv for her room last year and found there really isn’t many 4K options and most are releasing new TVs in 720p at 32”, I’m guessing at that small size there isn’t much difference. In the end I got her a 42” 4k for £250 and found the 42” market is so much better and far cheaper as well. There wasn’t a single 32” 4k for as cheap. Will 42” be to big of you get a one without a besel?

42" physically wouldn't fit on the wall where I want to mount it, I'm pushing it at 32" as our ceilings are in a loft conversion so slope down, I agree though for the price a 42" is easier to get hold of and better for the price.
toonsquirel13/01/2020 09:10

Not true most 2019 32” sets are 720p

Most likely to be 768p rather than the suggested 720p.
768p against 1080p at typical TV viewing distance has zero visible resolution benefit. Will only be noticeable if using as a monitor.
Interesting. I've never seen a 22 inch "Full HD" set. What model is your Samsung?

Anyway, up to 32" and you are fine at 720p (HD ready) as it's really only noticeable in 1080p after 32". 720P will still look great, depending on your 'source' of course.

Regarding purchase, get the best warranty you can get for your budget. Don't forget "Richer Sounds" too, with their price match policy and great warranty and service. Also, have you considered the "used" market - i.e. Gumtree - as TV's of this size (and bigger) are ten-a-penny as everyone is upgrading to cinema-sized sets! Haha. I regularly see 32" going for £20-30. I picked up a lovely Panasonic which I have in my bedroom for £1. Yes, one pound! It's fantastic too. I bought another a while ago to replace my Dad's dead TV for £15. That was also in fab condition and is going strong to this day.

Regards, Phsy.
AndyRoyd13/01/2020 10:18

Most likely to be 768p rather than the suggested 720p.

They are but labelled as 720p for the general public, 720p only really exists in monitor specs, 720p=768p and vice versa both are classed as HD where 1080p is classed as full HD.
Phsycronix13/01/2020 10:27

Interesting. I've never seen a 22 inch "Full HD" set. What model is your …Interesting. I've never seen a 22 inch "Full HD" set. What model is your Samsung?Anyway, up to 32" and you are fine at 720p (HD ready) as it's really only noticeable in 1080p after 32". 720P will still look great, depending on your 'source' of course.Regarding purchase, get the best warranty you can get for your budget. Don't forget "Richer Sounds" too, with their price match policy and great warranty and service. Also, have you considered the "used" market - i.e. Gumtree - as TV's of this size (and bigger) are ten-a-penny as everyone is upgrading to cinema-sized sets! Haha. I regularly see 32" going for £20-30. I picked up a lovely Panasonic which I have in my bedroom for £1. Yes, one pound! It's fantastic too. I bought another a while ago to replace my Dad's dead TV for £15. That was also in fab condition and is going strong to this day.Regards, Phsy.

Yeah it's a Samsung UE22H5600 from 2014, was quite a good spec as it's a 4 core jobbie with Netflix/Prime and all the other goodies even bought the Samsung camera for it as it did Skype, it's been a rock solid set tbh and got it on EBay from an outlet brand new for around £120 at the time, thought it was too good to be true and was getting scammed but it arrived sealed!

I did look down the 2nd hand route but wanted the latest to integrate with all the smart stuff I have bought, 4 Echo DOT's, 2 Phillips Bulbs, Hive heating, BG smart plug, Govee led strip lights and a Ring Doorbell, all got though HUKD over the last couple of months, I will also be adding a BT JBL soundbar to the TV as my hearing is going as well as my eyes lol.

Even the OH who is a technophobe is really getting into the smart stuff, we have the 55" smart TV hooked up to Alexa so thought why not go the whole hog, plus she's a Netflix junkie, I very rarely watch TV lol.
Tricky. HD Ready is outdated and would anyone want it when you're done with the set or would it just end up at the tip? On the other hand, I've also been on the wrong end of Currys customer service in the last 12 months and will now go out of my way to avoid buying from them.
Edited by: "Painkiller" 13th Jan
T2000Bill13/01/2020 10:44

Yeah it's a Samsung UE22H5600 from 2014, was quite a good spec as it's a 4 …Yeah it's a Samsung UE22H5600 from 2014, was quite a good spec as it's a 4 core jobbie with Netflix/Prime and all the other goodies even bought the Samsung camera for it as it did Skype, it's been a rock solid set tbh and got it on EBay from an outlet brand new for around £120 at the time, thought it was too good to be true and was getting scammed but it arrived sealed!I did look down the 2nd hand route but wanted the latest to integrate with all the smart stuff I have bought, 4 Echo DOT's, 2 Phillips Bulbs, Hive heating, BG smart plug, Govee led strip lights and a Ring Doorbell, all got though HUKD over the last couple of months, I will also be adding a BT JBL soundbar to the TV as my hearing is going as well as my eyes lol.Even the OH who is a technophobe is really getting into the smart stuff, we have the 55" smart TV hooked up to Alexa so thought why not go the whole hog, plus she's a Netflix junkie, I very rarely watch TV lol.

Sounds like it was quite the TV. I'd be surprised though if you would notice much difference if it were side-by-side to a good 720p TV however. They would both look very similar. The "Full HD" tag is a big selling point however so I don't blame them really. If you sell the Samsung on Gumtree, I bet you'd still get £40-50 as it's "Smart" and; of course; FULL HD! Hehe.

You sound very 'clued-up' with your tech so I would get to a bricks 'n' mortar shop - view a range of TV's with the OH - then hit t'internet and see what bargain you can grab from elsewhere with the longest warranty.

Good hunting, T2000Bill.
Painkiller13/01/2020 10:57

Tricky. HD Ready is outdated and would anyone want it when you're done …Tricky. HD Ready is outdated and would anyone want it when you're done with the set or would it just end up at the tip? On the other hand, I've also been on the wrong end of Currys customer service in the last 12 months and will now go out of my way to avoid buying from them.

Yes Currys nearly ruined Christmas for my daughter with their shocking CS, an item was supposedly delivered when it wasn't and contacting them by phone took an hour before I got through and then I was basically made out to be lying so contacted CS via email and on Facebook, it took them nearly a month to admit the mistake and actually send the item through, I can't honestly see them lasting long with that service.

On the flip side Amazon have been excellent and some companies could take a leaf out of their book, never dealt with John Lewis but have heard good things about their TV warranties so that swung it.
Painkiller13/01/2020 10:57

Tricky. HD Ready is outdated and would anyone want it when you're done …Tricky. HD Ready is outdated and would anyone want it when you're done with the set or would it just end up at the tip? On the other hand, I've also been on the wrong end of Currys customer service in the last 12 months and will now go out of my way to avoid buying from them.

I did look at that TV but it was out of stock online and after having good service from my current Samsung it was a contender but don't know if it integrates with voice?

I did a fair bit of reading and it appears that LG's WebOS of which this one is version 4.5 is the best to use. it was always going to be a choice between LG and Samsung although I looked at TCL/Hisense and Xiaomi but they were all a bit vague and harder to find info on.
I advise avoiding 32inch TVs and get a 2k monitor, I would dump the ariel connection totally or use a nowtv tuner box or just a smart stick.

If you look at my threads on a post I made recently with st8mike you'll see the reviews for the TVs you've been looking at.

hotukdeals.com/dis…926

Nobody decent cuts LCD TV panels at 32 inch anymore. The which reviews are poor for these 32inch TVs.
Edited by: "mogsog" 13th Jan
mogsog13/01/2020 13:57

I advise avoiding 32inch TVs and get a 2k monitor, I would dump the ariel …I advise avoiding 32inch TVs and get a 2k monitor, I would dump the ariel connection totally or use a nowtv tuner box or just a smart stick.If you look at my threads on a post I made recently with st8mike you'll see the reviews for the TVs you've been looking at.https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/32-tv-3382926Nobody decent cuts LCD TV panels at 32 inch anymore. The which reviews are poor for these 32inch TVs.

While I would agree a monitor is a better choice for clarity (I own 3 Lenovo IPS screens) adding the smart features that I want for where the TV is located would be difficult to do and would also end up with multiple remotes, the plan is voice activation and sound doesn't matter as I am getting a free JBL soundbar from BT so that's covered.

The aerial is not a problem as we don't really watch live TV but the Freesat would be handy as we still have the Sky dish, I do have a couple of Kodi boxes as well which are decent ones but they rarely get used, it's mainly going to be Netflix/Prime and DLNA that it's used for.

I'm surprised at the Which reviews stating no smart features as it's a pretty packed set with AIThinQ?
T2000Bill13/01/2020 15:03

While I would agree a monitor is a better choice for clarity (I own 3 …While I would agree a monitor is a better choice for clarity (I own 3 Lenovo IPS screens) adding the smart features that I want for where the TV is located would be difficult to do and would also end up with multiple remotes, the plan is voice activation and sound doesn't matter as I am getting a free JBL soundbar from BT so that's covered.The aerial is not a problem as we don't really watch live TV but the Freesat would be handy as we still have the Sky dish, I do have a couple of Kodi boxes as well which are decent ones but they rarely get used, it's mainly going to be Netflix/Prime and DLNA that it's used for.I'm surprised at the Which reviews stating no smart features as it's a pretty packed set with AIThinQ?

Bit of double sided tape or a right angled hdmi adapter? A monitor goes into sleep mode when the stick times out and turns back on when you press the remote. A lot of monitors do CEC too. You would have one remote with a monitor and one with a TV.
We've just had to get a new tv for the spare room. Went with a 32inch 720p jvc model from currys ebay with a damaged box for £100. Cracking little set for the price.

If it was a tv that was going to be used alot we would have bought from JL / Richer Sounds, even if it meant getting a different model.
Edited by: "m1keyp1key" 13th Jan
Freeview HD is broadcast at 1080 (1080i, actually), so for a full HD (1080p) screen, it just has to de-interlace.
For a 768 vertical resolution, it has to do more conversion and throw away some of the detail, so I'd expect the HD channels to be crisper on a full HD screen - for SD channels, not as much difference as there isn't a direct correlation to either screen resolution
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions