3/4 guitar for an 8 year old

Posted 25th Oct
My 8 year old has started guitar at school, and we'd like him to be able to practice a bit more at home. All I know about it is that it's a 3/4 acoustic with steel strings, so I'd like to get as close to that as possible.

I don't want anything too expensive as there is a possibility this is still a novelty at the moment. He will need a bag though. I was thinking second hand decent rather than brand new cheap, but I have absolutely zero knowledge beyond what he's told me.

Any suggestions/advice/recommendations?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
Go to your local classifieds and search 3/4 guitar. There'll be plenty there. Go for one that looks clean and is visually appealing. It'll likely have nylon (plastic) strings which are fine. Buy a new set of them, fit them and jobs a good un. £50 or less all in IMO.
amazon.co.uk/Lin…1-2
Not that much point buying second hand because the above will easily last the 4 years until they are ready for a full sized. And they wouldn't really gain anything by using a £250 Fender which is £150 second hand for example.
Thanks Midurix, that's the sort of thing we were looking at but they were literally hundreds of them to choose from.
Be useful to put in your max spend. Calling @NeoTrix
Edited by: "Whammerhead" 25th Oct
Whammerhead25/10/2019 19:24

Be useful to put in your max spend. Calling @NeoTrix

Unfortunately I have no context what these things cost. The tight a55 contractor in me wants to pay no more than £9.99, but the parent in me wants nothing but the best. There must be something in the middle that can give him a decent experience, but wouldn't leave me with an empty pit in my stomach when it sits gathering dust after Pokemon Sword comes out.
We got one from Argos for my í
8 y.o. and it's brilliant was a Martin Smith and cost around £40 his guitar teacher at school said it's great. Like all new guitars you have to stretch the strings, especially the nylon ones. But do it a few times a week and it will soon hold its tune. I had a go with it as I also play and was impressed.
My son is taking guitar lessons in school for about 2 years now. We got him a Fender ma-1 from ebay for £74 I think. It was half price though so can not see similar deal at the moment, but it is a great guitar for beginners. My sister got for his son an used Little Martin. I think if you go for used one it is worth to get one which is really good as you can sell it for the same price pretty much. I would also invest in a digital tuner. It is about £5 on amazon.
I got my 8 yr old a 3/4 size from Amazon. It is a Mad4Music one and came with picks, spare strings and bag. I wasn’t going to spend a great deal in case the novelty wore off after 2 weeks. I also bought a clip on electronic tuner and upgraded to a padded bag after 4 months. The guitar makes a nice sound and does the job.
My 2 cents as an Eric Clapton wannabe. When i started learning guitar, my wife bought me a cheap one from Argos, within 2 months i put it away to collect dust. When i decided to really learn, i spent a little bit more and bought an Yamaha, it was just under £100 but the action (distance between the string and the frets) was so much better that it made it definitely easier to learn. This is of course of a full size acoustic guitar (i don't know anything about 3/4 size). But basically you get what you pay for. I have since upgraded to a Faith (second hand), and again this was so much better than the Yamaha. If you are not sure, go to a music shop with your son, try a few guitars, they may have an ex demo or even a resale, if you think that he is not going to carry on, though you will always be able to sell a guitar once you stop using it
Edited by: "jeannot18" 26th Oct
jeannot1825/10/2019 22:01

My 2 cents as an Eric Clapton wannabe. When i started learning guitar, my …My 2 cents as an Eric Clapton wannabe. When i started learning guitar, my wife bought me a cheap one from Argos, within 2 months i put away to collect dust. When i decided to really learn, i spent a little bit more and bought an Yamaha, it was just under £100 but the action (distance between the string and the frets) was so much better that it made it definitely easier to learn. This is of course of a full size acoustic guitar (i don't know anything about 3/4 size). But basically you get what you pay for. I have since upgraded to a Faith (second hand), and again this was so much better than the Yamaha. If you are not sure, go to a music shop with your son, try a few guitars, they may have an ex demo or even a resale, if you think that he is not going to carry on, though you will always be able to sell a guitar once you stop using it

This is excellent advice. The reason so many people give up on playing is the fact that they buy a really cheap guitar that makes it MORE difficult to learn.

Go to a second hand shop / Shpock / Gumtree and pick up something a little better on the cheap
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants