34 inch Ultrawide Monitor Suggestions

Found 23rd Aug 2017
I am currently considering a 34 inch ultrawide monitor for my home office set up and am hoping you good people could share some insight.

From what I have been reading an ultrawide display provides plenty of screen real estate in the horizontal plane making it ideal for a development environment. I will be using the screen for software development as well as browsing the web and consuming media. I will be sitting around 60 - 70cm away from the screen. I have seen mixed opinions in regards to screen resolution, some suggest that 1080p resolution is insufficient for reading text and that 3440x1440 is essential, others say that 1080p is just fine. Would anyone with experience be able to share their thoughts and if possible any models that they would recommend? My budget is around 550.

Many Thanks,
Frankie
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
You thought about buying 2x24'' IPS monitors. You'd still have £300 left in change.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 23rd Aug 2017
" I will be sitting around 60 - 70cm away from the screen. I have seen mixed opinions in regards to screen resolution, some suggest that 1080p resolution is insufficient for reading text and that 3440x1440 is essential, others say that 1080p is just fine."

It depends on your viewing distance, I sit about 90cm and wouldn't even consider 3440x1440 in that size, I already have to lean forward for 6pt text on a 96dpi screen.

You're kind of on the border so I suspect you could go either. Which resolution and size combinations have you had in the past (at the same viewing distance) and which of them have you preferred?

And it's well worth considering two or three screens instead as you typically get more space for the money and multi monitor features (for example you can snap to all four sides instead of just two).
Original Poster
RiverDragon854 m ago

You thought about buying 2x24'' IPS monitors. You'd still have £300 left …You thought about buying 2x24'' IPS monitors. You'd still have £300 left in change.

I have considered purchasing two monitors. My hesitation is due to the fact that this will also be my primary monitor for media consumption. Whilst I've not used a dual display before I'd expect the bezels in the middle retract from the viewing experience somewhat?

EndlessWaves32 m ago

" I will be sitting around 60 - 70cm away from the screen. I have seen …" I will be sitting around 60 - 70cm away from the screen. I have seen mixed opinions in regards to screen resolution, some suggest that 1080p resolution is insufficient for reading text and that 3440x1440 is essential, others say that 1080p is just fine."It depends on your viewing distance, I sit about 90cm and wouldn't even consider 3440x1440 in that size, I already have to lean forward for 6pt text on a 96dpi screen.You're kind of on the border so I suspect you could go either. Which resolution and size combinations have you had in the past (at the same viewing distance) and which of them have you preferred?And it's well worth considering two or three screens instead as you typically get more space for the money and multi monitor features (for example you can snap to all four sides instead of just two).

This is my first set up. During my time at university I used my 13 inch Macbook Pro for dev purposes but that was a struggle to say the least and I never want to have to do that again

So are you suggesting that the 3440x1440 resolution is overkill and would make reading difficult? Others have suggested that 1080p would be insufficient at a distance of ~70cm due to pixelation being evident.

As mentioned above I'm worried that the bezels in the middle of the screen may retract from the viewing experience when consuming media, would you say this would be the case?

Are there any 24" monitors that either of you would recommend if I was to take the dual screen route?
Edited by: "Frankie1" 23rd Aug 2017
Something like these click. This guy nails the review click.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 23rd Aug 2017
Frankie115 m ago

As mentioned above I'm worried that the bezels in the middle of the screen …As mentioned above I'm worried that the bezels in the middle of the screen may retract from the viewing experience when consuming media, would you say this would be the case?

Unless you're using this as a Single Large Surface* setup for some reason then you'd have to explicitly drag stuff into the middle. By default programs tend to stick on one screen, for example maximise will only enlarge a program to cover the screen it's on.

*Eyefinity/Surround, DualHead2Go etc

Unless you watch a lot of wide format films then you may find you prefer multiple monitors for video.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants