Groups

3.5 or 2.5 External drive?

Hi sorry to sound stupid, I need a new hard drive. I've recently dropped my 400gb freecom and the connection got pushed inside the hard drive. And it no longer gets recognised by my laptop! I'm well p*ssed as I had years of music collected on it :o( But my question is what is the difference between a 3.5 and a 2.5. My last one was 2.5
    Thanks for any help people

10 Comments

2.5" are obviously smaller but run off bus power (so generally just need the USB cable). 3.5" are bigger, faster (although most drives are somewhat limited by the USB bus so you generally wont notice much difference) and you will get lots more GB for your £ but they generally need a mains adapter.

If you carry it around a lot and value portability 2.5" is the way to go. If its generally kept in one place and you don't mind it being plugged into the mains, go for a 3.5".

Is the old drive definately FUBAR'd? It might be possible to at least retrieve the data off it...

Yes it maybe just the case thats broke. Transfer the drive into another case. Worth a shot at less than £5. ]Here

GAVINLEWISHUKD;6560714

Yes it maybe just the case thats broke. Transfer the drive into another … Yes it maybe just the case thats broke. Transfer the drive into another case. Worth a shot at less than £5. ]Here

Its *probably* a SATA drive given its a 400GBer but the ideas a good 'un - open the old drive to check. If the drive itself is broken you can get a new drive to put in the new enclosure anyway :thumbsup:

jah128;6560743

Its *probably* a SATA drive given its a 400GBer but the ideas a good 'un … Its *probably* a SATA drive given its a 400GBer but the ideas a good 'un - open the old drive to check. If the drive itself is broken you can get a new drive to put in the new enclosure anyway :thumbsup:

Ah well done for noticing. I did search for SATA just didn't check results.:thumbsup:

Note to self, check google search as its often wrong!:-D

GAVINLEWISHUKD;6560714

Yes it maybe just the case thats broke. Transfer the drive into another … Yes it maybe just the case thats broke. Transfer the drive into another case. Worth a shot at less than £5. ]Here

butting in here- but what's a good price for a 3.5" enclosure?..that's what i need..
    apologies OP

Original Poster

Thank you very much for the help! I'm absolutely sure there is nothing wrong with the HD itself.
    It's just the connection that is fubar'd. I would love to get it fixed, like I say it's got years and years of my music on it. And I'm a dj too so I have lots that I can't replace :x
    I've tried taking it apart but anyone who knows about these little ******s knows that they're nearly impossible unless you have the know how! You have to peel off the main void if removed sticker to get to a nut. But that's not the problem. Then you need to take off the rubber feet to get to these tiny little screws that look to have been grinded smooth! So no screwdriver head can get to them! Soooo Annoying. I'll prob have to take it to a pc shop.
    Thanks for the help though guys. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

jah128;6560677

2.5" are obviously smaller but run off bus power (so generally just need … 2.5" are obviously smaller but run off bus power (so generally just need the USB cable). 3.5" are bigger, faster (although most drives are somewhat limited by the USB bus so you generally wont notice much difference) and you will get lots more GB for your £ but they generally need a mains adapter.If you carry it around a lot and value portability 2.5" is the way to go. If its generally kept in one place and you don't mind it being plugged into the mains, go for a 3.5".Is the old drive definately FUBAR'd? It might be possible to at least retrieve the data off it...

Do you know How I could do this? It's near impossible to get inside the unit! I know the hard drive itself will be fine! Thanks

Often there are screw hidden underneath feet or stickers. Failing that it may simply be a plastic chassis that clips together - find some fine flat-headed screwdrivers and try carefully prising the case apart after looking for screws. (If its had a big knock the drive could still be broken of course, they are very delicate, but its definitely worth trying to open it up if you've nothing to lose...)

Edit - sorry, barely read your post above! If all else fails you could consider drilling out the screws (get a HSS drill bit roughly the same size as the screw head and drill - although I'd only do this if you are certain the screws just hold the case together (and not hold the drive to the case)

Original Poster

jah128;6567407

Often there are screw hidden underneath feet or stickers. Failing that … Often there are screw hidden underneath feet or stickers. Failing that it may simply be a plastic chassis that clips together - find some fine flat-headed screwdrivers and try carefully prising the case apart after looking for screws. (If its had a big knock the drive could still be broken of course, they are very delicate, but its definitely worth trying to open it up if you've nothing to lose...)Edit - sorry, barely read your post above! If all else fails you could consider drilling out the screws (get a HSS drill bit roughly the same size as the screw head and drill - although I'd only do this if you are certain the screws just hold the case together (and not hold the drive to the case)

Thank you very much mate, appreciate all the help :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial914
      2. Tesco Recalls 1,000's of products!​47
      3. word association Game72744173
      4. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio1424

See more discussions