£350 credit with Scottish Power - how to get it back?

5 replies
Found 29th Apr 2009
Hi,
I'm currently renting a flat and have the bills setup under my name. The gas and electricity is supplied by Scottish Power, and I setup a direct debit with them of £56/month.

I'll be moving out at the end of a May (about a months time), and moving in with my parents for a bit so won't need the Scottish Power account anymore. Scottish Power have about £350 of mine, which is the amount they took using direct debit, but I never used.

How would I go about getting it back from them? Also, would it be worth switching from my direct debit to just paying for what I use for this last month? I thought that might make it easier to settle things at the end and cause less hassle when I actually move out.

Last time I rang them they really weren't clear in answering, and from the sound of it he said that I could cancel my direct debit, but I still might be charged it as well as the paying for just what I use. It made no sense to me at the time so I just left it as Direct Debit.

Thanks in advance for all help

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
5 Comments

when you send them your final meter reading they will send you any outstanding amounts, surley

Info taken from : Customer Service page Scottish Power

When should I tell you that I’m moving home?

You should tell us you are moving home at least 7 days before you move. You can use our online Moving Home Service to give us your final meter readings and your forwarding address in just a few minutes (you can access the Moving Home Service by visiting Moving House in the Customer Services section of the website). Alternatively you can call us on 0845 270 7008

]http//ww…Us/

They will then calculate any money owed and refund your account

Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I tried ringing and asked again. This time they were more clear. The landlord needs to contact them and get the account on his name when I move out, or cancel it if no-ones moving in. In the meantime they'll send me a cheque for the amount that they owe me now, and can settle any remaining money when I move out.

Thanks for the help, rep left.

MrBrightside1987;5068276

Thanks for the help. I tried ringing and asked again. This time they … Thanks for the help. I tried ringing and asked again. This time they were more clear. The landlord needs to contact them and get the account on his name when I move out, or cancel it if no-ones moving in. In the meantime they'll send me a cheque for the amount that they owe me now, and can settle any remaining money when I move out.Thanks for the help, rep left.

Make sure you take photos/ a note of the final reading, also a letter from your landlord confirming the day you actually leave, my last landlord put a £200 bill in my name when I wasn't even at the property.

MrBrightside1987

Hi,I'm currently renting a flat and have the bills setup under my … Hi,I'm currently renting a flat and have the bills setup under my name. The gas and electricity is supplied by Scottish Power, and I setup a direct debit with them of £56/month.I'll be moving out at the end of a May (about a months time), and moving in with my parents for a bit so won't need the Scottish Power account anymore. Scottish Power have about £350 of mine, which is the amount they took using direct debit, but I never used.How would I go about getting it back from them? Also, would it be worth switching from my direct debit to just paying for what I use for this last month? I thought that might make it easier to settle things at the end and cause less hassle when I actually move out.Last time I rang them they really weren't clear in answering, and from the sound of it he said that I could cancel my direct debit, but I still might be charged it as well as the paying for just what I use. It made no sense to me at the time so I just left it as Direct Debit.Thanks in advance for all help

Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Consumer Rights - Wrong Description of Fridge611
    2. Xbox one games with gold November!33
    3. Buying Christmas tree after Christmas44
    4. Advice on selling an iPhone?79

See more discussions