Groups

360 owners - HDMI/audio advice

Quick question - If I use a bog standard hdmi cable to connect the 360 to a monitor, can I use the audio leads on my official VGA cable for audio?

I'm looking at getting a new monitor with HDMI input, but would want to use seperate speakers. I don't mind paying the £20+ for an official HDMI cable (and optical out) but would obviously rather do it on the cheap

Cheers

8 Comments

assuming that the monitor as an HDMI port then the HDMI lead from the 360 to the monitor is more than capable of transferring AV. If you want surround sound then make sure the monitor as the AV output connections and connect the audio cables from the monitor to the amp/woofer with the satellite speakers to use for surround surround sound

You might not be able to get both cables plugged in at the same time.

Original Poster

StevenA2000_uk;6221097

assuming that the monitor as an HDMI port then the HDMI lead from the 360 … assuming that the monitor as an HDMI port then the HDMI lead from the 360 to the monitor is more than capable of transferring AV. If you want surround sound then make sure the monitor as the AV output connections and connect the audio cables from the monitor to the amp/woofer with the satellite speakers to use for surround surround sound

EDIT - just read what you wrote again - Do many monitors come with audio out?

deathtrap3000;6221125

You might not be able to get both cables plugged in at the same time.

I've read about this issue with the new component cables shipped with hdmi xboxs. The old component cables (and I presume the VGA cable?) are fine (according to other users).

Original Poster

Can anyone else help?

DudeyGeeza;6196922

yes, hdmi to dvi lead would be better but you would have to use a … yes, hdmi to dvi lead would be better but you would have to use a standard AV cable in the AV hole to get the sound onto your stereo (or amp). Both HDMI lead and Standard AV leads do not fit together, but just pop the plastic AV end appart and wrap tape round it so its thinner. ( Or use the Audio dongle you get with the elites, these are the correct size and fit with a HDMI lead already in.)If you go the VGA route, then get the GENUINE MS VGA lead in its blister pack, as not only are all the cheap ones complete pap and will give you shadows, but the MS lead in its pack comes with the adaptor to connect two vga leads together if you need it (from the MS lead to a lead coming from your monitor, as some monitors have a hard wired lead and not a VGA port)

plug your hdmi in for the video, then take off the large casing on the offical av connector for the phono sound or use the optical connection
    they will both slot in then, mine has been like this for years

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj312/leemole/plug5_engadget_howto.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj312/leemole/xbox-001_qjpreviewth.jpg

like so

Original Poster

Thanks for the answers folks... all repped
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!563837
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047197
      3. Fakespot.com Amazon fake review detector.33
      4. Jaffa quake as McVitie's cuts pack sizes - BBC News44

See more discussions