3D Cinema Glasses Must Now Be Purchased?

Found 26th Jul 2011
Is it true that in cinema's the 3D glasses have to bought rather than given free.

I'm guessing this might depend on the cinema but I might go to the Vue cinema in blackburn to watch harry potter 3D so would they make me buy 3D glasses?
Community Updates
MiscCinemaGlasses
36 Comments
Banned
You have always had to pay for them 80p i think

or if you keep yours from your first visit you can re-use them at no extra cost just the price of the ticket
Edited by: "dj_urban" 26th Jul 2011
Original Poster
dj_urban

You have always had to pay for them 80p i think or if you keep yours from … You have always had to pay for them 80p i think or if you keep yours from your first visit you can re-use them at no extra cost just the price of the ticket

They used to be free in blackburn. Gave em out like shopping bags but now I think they are asking for money.
Original Poster
Are the ticket prices online same as in the cinema's?
dj_urban

You have always had to pay for them 80p i think or if you keep yours from … You have always had to pay for them 80p i think or if you keep yours from your first visit you can re-use them at no extra cost just the price of the ticket

£2 down South and no discount if you reuse them for another film...
we got them handed out at the skykids but i think theyre 80p usually..
odeons in midlands charge £1 but you can re-use them.
I actually ended up seeing Harry potter twice last week, once at odeon in 3d and then at the imax 3d.
Imax was the best - and they do not charge you for the specs, but you cant take them home.

If you have an imax, I'd go there. The film is great btw, the best of the bunch in my opinion
Odeon around my way charges, but you can bring your own. You used to get the glasses for free. Interesting that the film price didn't drop when they started charging. Makes you wonder what the extra couple of quid for a 3D film is all about. They can't claim it is the increased production costs, otherwise low budget films would be cheaper than blockbusters.
We saw Harry Potter at Vue and they just gave us the glasses on the way in - not sure if the price of them was just included in the ticket price?
Banned
blowbrown

Makes you wonder what the extra couple of quid for a 3D film is all … Makes you wonder what the extra couple of quid for a 3D film is all about.

It's an 'idiot tax'.

Studies have shown that stupid people are more susceptible to gimmicks like 3D and will even pay for it.
apparently Vue include the price for the glasses in with the ticket price - so you pay for them but cannot re-use them

dailymail.co.uk/new…tml
Banned
They still doing a one size fits all?
master_chief

They still doing a one size fits all?

not at imax- they have at least 3 different sizes, but odeon do, not sure about vue
Banned
caz1cool

not at imax- they have at least 3 different sizes, but odeon do, not sure … not at imax- they have at least 3 different sizes, but odeon do, not sure about vue

Not watched a 3D movie in long time but last time at Vue they had the heavyweight ones that come in one size only... because people all have the same size heads, like toddlers and adults
Original Poster
The ticket price for the 3D version of harry potter is £5.75 will that be the same wen I go in the blackburn cinema?
Showcase in peterborough charges 1 pound for glasses (used to be free) and 2 pounds extra for a 3d film.

Really dont see the point on 3D at my cinema they charge an extra 1:80 and you can't reuse glasses because they are in a bin shaped promotion container on the way in, a family member was telling me that at another local odeon you can reuse glasses
Banned
The cinemas which you don't get to keep the glasses are using Dolby 3D technology and the glasses are expensive. The ones you get to keep are using RealD technology and they're cheap glasses that can be "given" away.

According to a friend who doesn't mind 3D, the RealD experience is the superior one.
We pay for real3d. I've only ever seen that 'type' and have rarely been impressed
Banned
sancho1983

We pay for real3d. I've only ever seen that 'type' and have rarely been … We pay for real3d. I've only ever seen that 'type' and have rarely been impressed

Are you saying you don't get to keep the reald glasses?
I have a brother who works in my local cinema so i've always gotten them for free (tickets as well).

Have to say I know it's all just a gimmick but as someone who has issues with colour vision so has never been able to see red green 3D I did jump when I first experienced this new 3D as it was such a novelty for me.
master_chief

Are you saying you don't get to keep the reald glasses?

Sorry, we pay £1 for the reald glasses and can keep them.

I've pretty much given up with 3D though, Harry Potter's 3D was completely non essential, as was Toy Story.

They appear to have upgraded the projectors at ours, the 2d films shown seem to be much better quality now
Banned
I never liked 3D from the start. I've dreaded it's increase in popularity. I'm hoping, with recent figures, we're seeing a reversal in the trend. Fingers crossed.
master_chief

I never liked 3D from the start. I've dreaded it's increase in … I never liked 3D from the start. I've dreaded it's increase in popularity. I'm hoping, with recent figures, we're seeing a reversal in the trend. Fingers crossed.

Seems that way, problem is a lot of companies have invested a relatively large amount of money into developing a system people can use at home.

I don't get the fuss, most people would be better off having a decent amp and 5/7.1 sound set up, adds so much more to watching a film than 3D ever will
Banned
sancho1983

Seems that way, problem is a lot of companies have invested a relatively … Seems that way, problem is a lot of companies have invested a relatively large amount of money into developing a system people can use at home. I don't get the fuss, most people would be better off having a decent amp and 5/7.1 sound set up, adds so much more to watching a film than 3D ever will

I think we'll see a balance in home use. It will never take over as the standard, it'll just be a feature on all TVs like teletext.
Vue stick a charge on the overall ticket price... so even if you bring your own, you still pay inflated ticket price.

Odean charge 80p on top of ticket price or you can bring your own.

Don;t know about any other cinema chains...
Original Poster
Just came back from Vue cinema in Blackburn and watched Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2 and they gave the glasses free.

Movie was good. Not a lot of 3D but there was its moments.
went to watch harry potter the other day - £9.50 for a ticket inc glasses - £9.50!!!!
i went to see a film in 3d in wakefield they charged 2.50 for glasses .... went to see one in bradford a week earlier and they were free

yeh they have priced the tickets so high its no longer a cheap option to take the kids,,almost £40 for 2 adullts 2 kids not counting any 'extras' they want..a joke imo..i know its not the same but would rather take the kids to the park for a picnic/jungle gym or asda to buy a dvd and goodies to enjoy..my kids dont care the latest movies so i will take advantage of that as long as possible!

zakdeals1

went to watch harry potter the other day - £9.50 for a ticket inc glasses … went to watch harry potter the other day - £9.50 for a ticket inc glasses - £9.50!!!!

We went to see Harry Potter 3D last week at an Empire cinema. To watch it 3D was an extra £1.50 per person, and the glasses which were an additional £1 per pair, were available in adult and child sizes. Problem was my daughter and her friend are both spectacle wearers and so had to ask for sellotape to fix the glasses to their own specs to stop them sliding off!!
Original Poster
Cost me £5.75 for ticket for 3D version of Harry Potter.
zakdeals1

went to watch harry potter the other day - £9.50 for a ticket inc glasses … went to watch harry potter the other day - £9.50 for a ticket inc glasses - £9.50!!!!

It's only now i read your comment - i thought i would be brave and add up just how much it cost...
Mr and Mrs Jelli + jelli junior (child) + freind - @ peak family ticket = £23.00
Jelli junior (adult) + friend - 2@ peak adult = £15.50
6 x 3D = £9.00
6 x glasses = £6.00
Card handling fee! = £4.20
Munchies for the 'juniors' @ £5 each = £20.00
Pizza Hut afterwards between 6 diners = £40.00

OMG think i'm going to cry... friday night treat trip to the cinema for 6 people....£117.70!!!
Our tickets were as follows.

Adult ticket £7.85
3D surcharge £2
3D glasses £1

£10.85 per person is a bit steep imo, don't think I'll bother with 3d again
never got the glasses free. cheapest paid £2.50

8 quid for a poxy box of popcorn, how can they justify that
Original Poster
Only one way to save money from cinema.... pirate them....:)

lol
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions