3D Patio Design - Better Ideas?

Posted 20th Feb
I am building a new patio, approximately 7 x 3 meters.

The problem I am facing is the garden sloping towards the house. The vent air bricks are on average just 10cm above the soil. For building a patio slopping away from the house I would have to go above the air vent bricks, leaving an ugly gap in between.

I am prepared to put the time and effort to make it right.

Is there any better way of doing this?
3410182-OToxb.jpg
3410182-KtlEp.jpg
3410182-F92wC.jpgThank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
I am no builder! But would you get away with filling that gap with an aerated metal strip along house? I'd be unsure about the contact of anything above the air bricks. Id be digging up the garden to give you sloping downwards away from house with steps at far side if required for rest of garden
Is that really you in the pic
smashed21/02/2020 09:53

Is that really you in the pic

I did think that - bit early for hands in pockets, jobs not done yet!
Think digging down and getting rid of some earth to keep ur patio below the air bricks, maybe move some ground to the back of the garden with a small retaining wall and step up?

With the patio shown on the 3d it'll block air flow and you might get rainwater runoff into it, might give you problems later on.
If you block the air vents, this will cause issues for your sub floor. They are there for a reason. Water will also go into the vents from the patio. At the moment the water drains into the soil but a patio will mean water will need to drain off it.
Best solution, ask a couple of patio installers to come out for quotes. They will all give you ideas on how they would solve this issue as well as other suggestions on what to do. Get quotes from the best people that you can find
You can of course then choose to still go it alone if you wish
whitebook21/02/2020 10:21

Think digging down and getting rid of some earth to keep ur patio below …Think digging down and getting rid of some earth to keep ur patio below the air bricks, maybe move some ground to the back of the garden with a small retaining wall and step up? With the patio shown on the 3d it'll block air flow and you might get rainwater runoff into it, might give you problems later on.

I agree.

Hire a mini digger (and driver possibly, as they'll bne massively quicker and more efficient) for a morning/day/weekend and get terraforming and lower it near the house end and make the garden properly slope away from the house.

No other faffing them and will be much better long term. You could probably also get a reasonable amount of cash for the soil too if it's decent, as there'll be a lot of it.
Edited by: "UKBFG" 22nd Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants