3D Printing discussion

Found 3rd JanEdited by:"birdyboyuk"
Just a discussion on 3D printing as I recently got myself a 3D printer, and loving it!
Any recommendations on filament, software and webpages is greatly appreciated!

I have a Creality Cr-10s and have made quite a few things from the sample spool that came with it...

The software I am using is Cura, however, I have also setup my Raspberry Pi with Octoprint, so I can use a web interface, drag and drop files onto it and to also view the camera I have mounted.

Some of my makes are below:

2870221.jpgToothpaste roller

2870221.jpgSome genie figure that was preloaded with the SD card

2870221.jpgT-Rex skull

I have made a few other things too, but no pics.

Upgrades for my printer

2870221.jpg2870221.jpgCable tidies

2870221.jpg
2870221.jpgBed leveling knobs

2870221.jpg2870221.jpgCamera mount

2870221-uv4nr.jpg
2870221-ioBic.jpg
I am still on the lookout for filament deals, so obviously, any I find I will post on here on the first post.

I did a test print tower too so see the quality at different heat temperatures also...

The main site I am using for design downloads is Thingiverse, so if you have any others, let's see them!
Community Updates
MiscElectronics
Top comments
More will be updated as time goes on

Links to sites for designs

all3dp.com/
thingiverse.com/
tinkercad.com/ - Online designer for your own creations! (HUKD logo keyring anyone?)

Links to files to print
Bed leveler
T-Rex skull
Cable tidies
Camera mount
Toothpaste squeezer
Spool Frame mount

Links for filament
Primavalue Green PLA - £15.90 from Amazon
KKmoon Filament - £13.87 from Amazon...other colours too Also link to ABS filament in there too)
Edited by: "birdyboyuk" 5th Jan
Hey guys!!

Misprice on a DIY 3D Printer Prusa I3 Pro W on wish.com - Just £2 delivered!!
Get in there quick!!

Click the pic!

33517325-zBV7p.jpg

I did try posting on here as a deal, but alas, its HUKD
@Shengis@1197matt@m600@GlentoranMark
Edited by: "birdyboyuk" 26th Mar
If I ever get a 3D printer (really want to but don't have the disposable income at the moment) I would really want to get a model where all the parts can be reprinted by that printer, for 2 reasons, firstly should something break, but secondly I love the idea of recursion.

And Thirdly, I love the idea of recursion.
33573532-GGZXg.jpg

5 of my $2 printers turned up today!
322 Comments
More will be updated as time goes on

Links to sites for designs

all3dp.com/
thingiverse.com/
tinkercad.com/ - Online designer for your own creations! (HUKD logo keyring anyone?)

Links to files to print
Bed leveler
T-Rex skull
Cable tidies
Camera mount
Toothpaste squeezer
Spool Frame mount

Links for filament
Primavalue Green PLA - £15.90 from Amazon
KKmoon Filament - £13.87 from Amazon...other colours too Also link to ABS filament in there too)
Edited by: "birdyboyuk" 5th Jan
If I ever get a 3D printer (really want to but don't have the disposable income at the moment) I would really want to get a model where all the parts can be reprinted by that printer, for 2 reasons, firstly should something break, but secondly I love the idea of recursion.

And Thirdly, I love the idea of recursion.
Looks awesome, i want a 3d printer, how much was yours?
CoeK38 m ago

Looks awesome, i want a 3d printer, how much was yours?

Mine was just under £480, although that was from Amazon and I didn't want to wait a few weeks for delivery as they can be had cheaper from the like of Gearbest etc...
birdyboyuk2 m ago

Mine was just under £480, although that was from Amazon and I didn't want …Mine was just under £480, although that was from Amazon and I didn't want to wait a few weeks for delivery as they can be had cheaper from the like of Gearbest etc...

I'd rather stick with amazon too.

Thanks
You can get printers a lot cheaper, but with much smaller print areas.

Mine print area is 300mm x 300mm x 400mm, so pretty big!
Aside from novelty and art creation, what would be the most useful or practical purpose to own a 3D printer?
Felicitous11 m ago

Aside from novelty and art creation, what would be the most useful or …Aside from novelty and art creation, what would be the most useful or practical purpose to own a 3D printer?

For making replacement parts..i.e, hinges, stoppers, washers, battery covers etc...the good thing is too, if you have the knack for designing, you can design whatever you want!

You can also enhance things, for example, the upgrades I have done on my machine make it much more user friendly.

I've been checking out this site - Clicky! Just to give you an idea of cool things you can print...
Edited by: "birdyboyuk" 3rd Jan
I have a Wanhao i3 duplicator.
printed stuff for my Drone, mods for the printer and puzzle boxes.

amazon.co.uk/Dys…ead

TinkerCad is a good site for designing your own prints

AstroPrint is a good site for converting 3d Designs into G-code slices for the printer
Made this for a mate, hardest part was getting a decent 3D scan of a MacBook Pro.

32980243-kOG6H.jpg
Edited by: "bo0td" 3rd Jan
birdyboyuk5 h, 59 m ago

For making replacement parts..i.e, hinges, stoppers, washers, battery …For making replacement parts..i.e, hinges, stoppers, washers, battery covers etc...the good thing is too, if you have the knack for designing, you can design whatever you want!You can also enhance things, for example, the upgrades I have done on my machine make it much more user friendly.I've been checking out this site - Clicky! Just to give you an idea of cool things you can print...

You mean if you lose the battery cover for your remote, if you can get the 'pattern' for it (is that the right term?) you can just make your own?
deeky3 m ago

You mean if you lose the battery cover for your remote, if you can get the …You mean if you lose the battery cover for your remote, if you can get the 'pattern' for it (is that the right term?) you can just make your own?

Yep!
birdyboyuk5 m ago

Yep!

Which leads me to my next question - are their any Fleshlight patterns knocking about?

Mind you, be cheaper to just buy one

These are fascinating things though. I'm sure I would never use one to anywhere near its potential, but if this thread takes off it will be interesting to read.
deeky5 m ago

Which leads me to my next question - are their any Fleshlight patterns … Which leads me to my next question - are their any Fleshlight patterns knocking about? Mind you, be cheaper to just buy one

Only one? You tight-fisted wan...ton person.
Felicitous7 h, 29 m ago

...but secondly I love the idea of recursion.And Thirdly, I love the idea …...but secondly I love the idea of recursion.And Thirdly, I love the idea of recursion.

^ Repetition or reiteration. Recursion is something like...

32983086-gEFGo.jpg32983086-4n5O7.jpg
birdyboyuk7 h, 42 m ago

More will be updated as time goes onLinks to sites for …More will be updated as time goes onLinks to sites for designshttps://all3dp.com/https://www.thingiverse.com/Links to files to printBed levelerT-Rex skullCable tidiesCamera mountToothpaste squeezerLinks for filamentPrimavalue Green PLA - £15.90 from AmazonKKmoon Filament - £13.87 from Amazon...other colours too Also link to ABS filament in there too)

Any use?

[ mohou.com/mod…tml ]
fanpages6 m ago

Only one? You tight-fisted wan...ton person.

I've only got one thingy
@birdyboyuk

Thought:

Maybe you could find patterns/models for LEGO bricks & offer to make pieces that may have been lost over time so that builds can be complete again.
deeky4 m ago

I've only got one thingy

Really? As some nights you are throwing it about in "Misc" like a dog that has two of them.

No, wait.

That's me.

32983140-zu28z.jpg
fanpages58 s ago

Really? As some nights you are throwing it about in "Misc" like a dog …Really? As some nights you are throwing it about in "Misc" like a dog that has two of them.No, wait.That's me.[Image]

deeky49 m ago

Which leads me to my next question - are their any Fleshlight … Which leads me to my next question - are their any Fleshlight patterns knocking about? Mind you, be cheaper to just buy one These are fascinating things though. I'm sure I would never use one to anywhere near its potential, but if this thread takes off it will be interesting to read.

Umm... Pass! Lol

They are fascinating indeed! Always watching prints part way through making the layers... It's interesting!
fanpages38 m ago

Any use?[ http://www.mohou.com/models/model-122200.html ]

In English?? lol
fanpages37 m ago

@birdyboyuk Thought:Maybe you could find patterns/models for LEGO bricks & …@birdyboyuk Thought:Maybe you could find patterns/models for LEGO bricks & offer to make pieces that may have been lost over time so that builds can be complete again.

I'm pretty sure they can be done.

I'm actually thinking of making a Lego toilet roll holder
deeky53 m ago

I've only got one thingy

But you're gonna need a bigger printer
These are all fantastic birdy you should be well happy with yourself, been wanting one for a while now that I see more and more better things being made.

How much would you say like the t rex skull cost to make? And how long did it take you?
BlackJax1 m ago

These are all fantastic birdy you should be well happy with yourself, been …These are all fantastic birdy you should be well happy with yourself, been wanting one for a while now that I see more and more better things being made.How much would you say like the t rex skull cost to make? And how long did it take you?

I'm very pleased with the results!
The T-Rex was half the size of what it should have been, that took about 3 hours in total.
As for cost, something I'd have to work out... I'll get back to you on that!
birdyboyuk3 m ago

I'm very pleased with the results!The T-Rex was half the size of what it …I'm very pleased with the results!The T-Rex was half the size of what it should have been, that took about 3 hours in total.As for cost, something I'd have to work out... I'll get back to you on that!

Thanks pal you should be pleased.

If you're using templates from sites on internet is it easy enough to work?
BlackJax9 m ago

But you're gonna need a bigger printer

True, true
BlackJax10 m ago

Thanks pal you should be pleased. If you're using templates from …Thanks pal you should be pleased. If you're using templates from sites on internet is it easy enough to work?

Yep, just download the file into a program (cura in my case) amend any settings, save to SD and print!

Obviously, the bigger the model and more thickness, the longer it would take to print.
birdyboyuk42 m ago

I'm pretty sure they can be done.I'm actually thinking of making a Lego …I'm pretty sure they can be done.I'm actually thinking of making a Lego toilet roll holder

The paper may be a bit scratchy.
birdyboyuk12 m ago

Yep, just download the file into a program (cura in my case) amend any …Yep, just download the file into a program (cura in my case) amend any settings, save to SD and print!Obviously, the bigger the model and more thickness, the longer it would take to print.

I like it.
fanpages5 m ago

The paper may be a bit scratchy.

Haha... A bit blocky!

This is the design...

32983849-1JWg8.jpg
I've just printed this using the filament from this deal.

I've yet to check it out properly as I left it printing overnight... So far, it looks pretty good! It's still sat at home (image from my mounted camera)

Those wanting to know what it is, it's a tool holder that sits on the top of the power supply... See below for example

So, have been printing with some Wood filament, and very pleased with the results!

33094175-aTjEK.jpg
33094175-qMR1P.jpg
33094175-Z7rdv.jpg
33094175-3VUo9.jpg
Also invested in a 3D printing bed sheet....that's working wonders too!
33100189-CkLYS.jpg
My latest print...took just under 8 hours to do!
Another recent print...Drogon from GOT

33128819-YNs3g.jpg
I'm now in the process of printing myself a 3D scanner to use with my phone.
When complete, it uses the phone to take pictures of an object, which is then rendered in software to turn this into a 3D image file for printing...this is 1 part which will take 18.5 hrs in total to complete!

This is the start of it, which was around 8pm last night...
33132418-dRrVY.jpg
And this is the progress 12 hours later...
33132418-oRLPm.jpg
Will keep you posted on this one!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants