3d printing services?

Found 8th Apr
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Shapeways.com lots of people who do 3D printing
What do you need? There's a few of us that have printers on this thread that may help you. Make a post on there and more will see this (I don't check Ask every day)
Original Poster
GlentoranMark2 h, 43 m ago

What do you need? There's a few of us that have printers on this thread …What do you need? There's a few of us that have printers on this thread that may help you. Make a post on there and more will see this (I don't check Ask every day)

Thanks for the reply.

I need a weatherproof outdoor enclosure for a camera. I have already found an enclosure on ebay which comes close to what I need, but it's not quite deep enough, so it would need to be scanned and then modified. It would be roughly shoe-boxed sized. While it would be nice to have it designed from scratch, an existing/proven seal is important I think.

Will have a look at the thread when I get a chance.
traylee9 m ago

Thanks for the reply.I need a weatherproof outdoor enclosure for a camera. …Thanks for the reply.I need a weatherproof outdoor enclosure for a camera. I have already found an enclosure on ebay which comes close to what I need, but it's not quite deep enough, so it would need to be scanned and then modified. It would be roughly shoe-boxed sized. While it would be nice to have it designed from scratch, an existing/proven seal is important I think.Will have a look at the thread when I get a chance.

traylee9 m ago

Thanks for the reply.I need a weatherproof outdoor enclosure for a camera. …Thanks for the reply.I need a weatherproof outdoor enclosure for a camera. I have already found an enclosure on ebay which comes close to what I need, but it's not quite deep enough, so it would need to be scanned and then modified. It would be roughly shoe-boxed sized. While it would be nice to have it designed from scratch, an existing/proven seal is important I think.Will have a look at the thread when I get a chance.

My printer can print 200mmx200mmx220mm. I've designed a few things myself although I'm far from an expert. There's a guy on that thread who does it professionally, he designed me a screw type water fitting but I'm sure one of us will help you, I'll certainly try my best. Whoever ends up doing it will charge you no more than P&P, the materials won't cost much either. I'm currently printing a Spice Rack for my missus. Need to print 2 of these as my printer isn't big enough to print one big version. It's a 4 hour print, these things aren't quick!

What you're after doesn't sound hard and should work in PLA (the material most of us would be using.)

As I say, put it up on that thread, maybe with a photo or 2 and dimensions and someone will create something for you while someone else (me maybe?) will print it for you.
Original Poster
GlentoranMark6 h, 36 m ago

My printer can print 200mmx200mmx220mm. I've designed a few things myself …My printer can print 200mmx200mmx220mm. I've designed a few things myself although I'm far from an expert. There's a guy on that thread who does it professionally, he designed me a screw type water fitting but I'm sure one of us will help you, I'll certainly try my best. Whoever ends up doing it will charge you no more than P&P, the materials won't cost much either. I'm currently printing a Spice Rack for my missus. Need to print 2 of these as my printer isn't big enough to print one big version. It's a 4 hour print, these things aren't quick!What you're after doesn't sound hard and should work in PLA (the material most of us would be using.)As I say, put it up on that thread, maybe with a photo or 2 and dimensions and someone will create something for you while someone else (me maybe?) will print it for you.

The offer is very much appreciated, thanks. However, a waterproof seal is crucial (camera+lens is over £1.5K), and I think it would make sense to scan an existing enclosure, so I could use the seal + lid. That would require a professional service I suppose.

The other thing (which I forgot to mention previously) is that the material needs to have good UV resistance/stability since it will be exposed to the Sun, and needs last for at least a few years. Any idea if PLA would still be suitable?

Thanks again for your help. I know next to nothing about 3D printing, so if I could count on you for advice at least, it would invaluable to me.
PLA is pretty strong but it warps at temps above 60° and is brittle so long as the enclosure isn't knocked it may be just fine for your needs.

ABS is stronger and requires a higher temperature to make, it's widely available and used so would also suit you.

Nylon can also be used. I'm unfamiliar with it though but some have used cheap strimmer wire to create models.

There's another soft material used (can't remember its name) but it's more suited for phone cases.

I'm sure other there are others but that's all I can think of. Unfortunately I don't know the UV properties of any of the materials but I'm sure it could be found out.

Of all the materials, ABS might be the best choice but all will be waterproof if designed correct.

I'm far from an expert on 3D printers. I got one for my Birthday a few weeks ago, before that I was like you. It was a steep learning curve but I've got it working pretty successfully and producing quality items.
Original Poster
Thanks again. I'll probably pop in to the thread you linked to previously to ask more questions when I get a chance. Been a bit hectic of late!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants