3DS hacking

Found 2nd Feb 2016
So what I want to do is create backups of my physical games so I can play them all off SD card

Does anyone know an easier/quicker/better way to achieve this than what I've found?

So far I've discovered the first thing I need to do is downgrade my 10.3 firmware to 9.2

Then I can install 'gateway launcher.dat' via which I can 'dump' the roms of my games

Then I will need to install custom firmware in order to play the games from SD
Community Updates
AskNintendo 3DS
23 Comments
I also bought a new nintendo 3ds, I am also interested in doing this any advise from the pros,
like where to start?
Youtube is your friend.
Sky3ds plus, works on all firmwares and can run backups from a micro sad (and is update able)
Its not as straightforward as say PSP backups but have a look at gbatemp for loads of guides etc.

If you are on 10.3 there are a number of legit cias that can be installed and played from SD card like Mario kart, smash etc.
I'm on version 7 & got lost when looking at this last week as there were so many different custom firmwares......

Post up if you find anything mate.
Let me try to answer as many questions as possible.
- Yes you need to downgrade/upgrade to 9.2 because it has the most exploits and they work well. Any downgrading/upgrading via SysUpdater does have a chance of bricking, so keep that in mind.
- anything past 10.4 you CANNOT downgrade currently, so tough luck.
- Sky3DS+ doesnt require anything just plug and play BUT can be blocked with an update from Nintendo as it relies on 3DS game exploit, also its very expensive.
- Gateway is a great choice but requires a bit tinkering before it can work great.
- There are 2 formats of games .3ds and .cia - .3ds is only works on flash cards like GateWay/Sky3DS+ and .cia can only with CFW but you can convert .3ds to .cia but its a looong process.
- CFW is the way to go, CakesFW, rxTools or reiNAND.

GBATemp is the best place online for tutorials and help or if your on reddit try r/3dshacks
Edited by: "zeromx" 2nd Feb 2016
zeromx

Let me try to answer as many questions as possible.- Yes you need to … Let me try to answer as many questions as possible.- Yes you need to downgrade/upgrade to 9.2 because it has the most exploits and they work well. Any downgrading/upgrading via SysUpdater does have a chance of bricking, so keep that in mind.- anything past 10.4 you CANNOT downgrade currently, so tough luck.- Sky3DS+ doesnt require anything just plug and play BUT can be blocked with an update from Nintendo as it relies on 3DS game exploit, also its very expensive.- Gateway is a great choice but requires a bit tinkering before it can work great.- There are 2 formats of games .3ds and .cia - .3ds is only works on flash cards like GateWay/Sky3DS+ and .cia can only with CFW but you can convert .3ds to .cia but its a looong process.- CFW is the way to go, CakesFW, rxTools or reiNAND. GBATemp is the best place online for tutorials and help or if your on reddit try r/3dshacks

​is gbatemp like xda developer site?
Thanks guy's
Just trying to find the 9.2 firmware is hard
I'm giving up for now X)

On a separate note -
I've just unboxed my N3DS and it's really great
It's a real improvement over the original
Better touch screen, picture quality seems nicer, I like the little thumb nub it works well, and the 3D eye tracking is great
Thumbs up
I have Gateway running on mine. I had 4.4 running on mine 3DS XL so I use the Gateway DS exploit.

I am not sure about the other processes but with Gateway you can use it on anything upto 9.2. If your 3DS has 4.5 and below then you can use the DS exploit where by you load a DS Profile and it loads Gateway. Anything above 4.5 and below 9.2 you will need to the do web browser exploit to load Gateway.

I decided on going down the Gateway route over CFW as it seemed easier and more compatible with roms. You simply chuck the roms onto a SD card and load up Gateway and off you go.
ceanth

I have Gateway running on mine. I had 4.4 running on mine 3DS XL so I use … I have Gateway running on mine. I had 4.4 running on mine 3DS XL so I use the Gateway DS exploit.I am not sure about the other processes but with Gateway you can use it on anything upto 9.2. If your 3DS has 4.5 and below then you can use the DS exploit where by you load a DS Profile and it loads Gateway. Anything above 4.5 and below 9.2 you will need to the do web browser exploit to load Gateway.I decided on going down the Gateway route over CFW as it seemed easier and more compatible with roms. You simply chuck the roms onto a SD card and load up Gateway and off you go.

Any recommended setup links for Gateway ?
ChrisUK

Do a search for Mr Mario on youtube. I followed his video tutorial step by step and it worked fine for me.

Mr Mario has videos for 4.5 and lower setup and also 4.5 and higher.

The video was pretty long but contained all the steps needed.

ChrisUK

Actually, i found the link:

Your text here
I really struggled with CFW on my 2DS but got there in the end.
ceanth

Actually, i found the link:Your text here

Cheers for that. Is that 4.5 & below the Gateway version of 3DS firmware version ? I'm on v7.
Edited by: "ChrisUK" 3rd Feb 2016
ceanth

Actually, i found the link:Your text here

Ignore that, looks like thats buying a flash card & doing it that way - I'm purely looking to try & do this via SD card & CFW if possible.

Thanks
ChrisUK

Cheers for that. Is that 4.5 & below the Gateway version of 3DS firmware … Cheers for that. Is that 4.5 & below the Gateway version of 3DS firmware version ? I'm on v7.

If you look through his videos he has another one which is for firmware over 4.5.

Gateway also allows you to downgrade your 3DS to 4.5. I haven't tried this myself but hes probably got a video on how to do that too.

ChrisUK

Ignore that, looks like thats buying a flash card & doing it that way - … Ignore that, looks like thats buying a flash card & doing it that way - I'm purely looking to try & do this via SD card & CFW if possible.Thanks

ah! Yeah I don't know much about that. I just ended up buying Gateway as it seemed easier.
ceanth

ah! Yeah I don't know much about that. I just ended up buying Gateway as … ah! Yeah I don't know much about that. I just ended up buying Gateway as it seemed easier.

Appreciate the reply anyway mate. I had/have a flash cart for the normal DS, the 3DS has been sitting in a drawer for around 3 years, so thought I may have a play around with it if I find the necessary info.
TechNinja

​is gbatemp like xda developer site?

Yes

Gateway with MenuHAX is really simple for cold booting, see youtube.com/wat…ULw
Hawkings Boots

Its not as straightforward as say PSP backups but have a look at gbatemp … Its not as straightforward as say PSP backups but have a look at gbatemp for loads of guides etc. If you are on 10.3 there are a number of legit cias that can be installed and played from SD card like Mario kart, smash etc.

Hi. Do these legit cia files require a cfw to run? Cheers
jco83

Hi. Do these legit cia files require a cfw to run? Cheers

No they are exactly the same as official games. Just install using Nash (i think it's called that) from homebrew channel. Sometimes takes a couple of goes but when it works they go on fine
reddit.com/r/3…nce
Hawkings Boots

No they are exactly the same as official games. Just install using Nash … No they are exactly the same as official games. Just install using Nash (i think it's called that) from homebrew channel. Sometimes takes a couple of goes but when it works they go on finehttps://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/40q5wr/tutorial_how_to_install_legit_cias_on_regular_103/?sort=confidence

Thanks alot
I'm not sure it's possible to install homebrew channel on unmodded system above 9.2
I'll look into it
Thanks again
jco83

Thanks alotI'm not sure it's possible to install homebrew channel on … Thanks alotI'm not sure it's possible to install homebrew channel on unmodded system above 9.2I'll look into itThanks again

Definitely can on 10.3

Not sure about above that
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants