Groups

3G Iphone 02 Contract Help

My friend is giving me his 3G Iphone as his work is upgrading him to the new 3GS.
    At the moment I'm on a £25p/m contract (400mins & 1000 texts & 1MB downloading) with 02 which runs out on 31st October. I've been looking at the iphone contracts and they seem very expensive but with me obtaining an iphone now, I was hoping just to change the contract I'm on at the moment to a sim only. I've seen the £20 contract, sim only (600 mins & 1200text & unlimited bolt on). I was wondering if I can put this new sim into the iphone and it will work. I know I wont have free wifi but not fussed about that. Just need to know if its possible as I'm reading conflicting stories saying I need to buy a special iphone simcard as any old sim wont work. Is this true? Any help would be appreciated.

10 Comments

I'm using a Simplicity Sim with a web bolt on with no problems, it doesn't have to be an iPhone specific sim/contract

I've done the exact same thing. Purchased the O2 £20pm sim. It will work in the iPhone, 100% confirmed. I bought an iPhone outside of a contract, then just bought the £20pm sim, it works out cheaper. You will have unlimited wi-fi, as wi-fi is free. As long as you are near a wi-fi hotspot (i.e. your own home, someone else's house or somewhere else that offers a service) it will be free. Wireless internet through 3G, Edge or GPRS is however costly, but can be used anywhere in the country. Because you have a free bolt on though, just make sure you get the unlimited web browsing bolt on, and all internet will be free! I've done just that myself. Free internet, anytime, anywhere.

Not sure why people are saying it doesn't work. It could be because you need to change a few settings in the iPhone settings area. It's very simple though, if you get an error, just Google it and it should guide you. If you have trouble, get in touch though and i'll give you a hand.

First post by the way!

Oh and I should mention, I did this through Quidco (£100 cashback if you buy the sim through them, however it may have expired now, check Quidco's O2 page.

Yeah, as long as the iPhone is locked to o2 you will be fine.

Would get the unlimited data bolt on also. No need for the wi-fi one really.

Original Poster

lyzzys321;6352517

I'm using a Simplicity Sim with a web bolt on with no problems, it … I'm using a Simplicity Sim with a web bolt on with no problems, it doesn't have to be an iPhone specific sim/contract

Thanks for that! Some rep:thumbsup:

Hesky;6352522

I've done the exact same thing. Purchased the O2 £20pm sim. It will work … I've done the exact same thing. Purchased the O2 £20pm sim. It will work in the iPhone, 100% confirmed. I bought an iPhone outside of a contract, then just bought the £20pm sim, it works out cheaper. You will have unlimited wi-fi, as wi-fi is free. As long as you are near a wi-fi hotspot (i.e. your own home, someone else's house or somewhere else that offers a service) it will be free. Wireless internet through 3G, Edge or GPRS is however costly, but can be used anywhere in the country. Because you have a free bolt on though, just make sure you get the unlimited web browsing bolt on, and all internet will be free! I've done just that myself. Free internet, anytime, anywhere.Not sure why people are saying it doesn't work. It could be because you need to change a few settings in the iPhone settings area. It's very simple though, if you get an error, just Google it and it should guide you. If you have trouble, get in touch though and i'll give you a hand.First post by the way!Oh and I should mention, I did this through Quidco (£100 cashback if you buy the sim through them, however it may have expired now, check Quidco's O2 page.

Good first post. Very helpful. Defo gonna go for the £20pm sim then. Not sure if I can go through quicdo though as I'm paying direct debit from my company account. Not on a business plan but paying for it through my limited company so might just need to go through 02 diect. Not bothered about that though as I'm gonna save a good wack anyway!
    Some rep:thumbsup:

Original Poster

matt3454;6352533

Yeah, as long as the iPhone is locked to o2 you will be fine.Would get … Yeah, as long as the iPhone is locked to o2 you will be fine.Would get the unlimited data bolt on also. No need for the wi-fi one really.

Thanks. Think i'll be going for this:thumbsup: rep

Original Poster

Just out of interest. My wife would like the iphone also. Are there any websites or companies selling cheaper iphones that i could buy and then do the same for her with the £20p/m sim. Seen them on ebay but either too expensive or seems very dodgy.
    Cheers

i purchased an iphone on e-bay, made sure it was local when i searched so that i could go along and see it, it was 2 months old an 8gb 3g and i paid £260, i think its the safest way to purchase on e-bay for something costing a lot, as i have been scammed on there before:thumbsup:

You can get £100 Quidco cashback on this SIM so it works out at about £12 per month and you get 800 mins and 1600 texts and an extra bolt-on (like unlimited internet). Info ]here

Original Poster

waycash;6353005

i purchased an iphone on e-bay, made sure it was local when i searched so … i purchased an iphone on e-bay, made sure it was local when i searched so that i could go along and see it, it was 2 months old an 8gb 3g and i paid £260, i think its the safest way to purchase on e-bay for something costing a lot, as i have been scammed on there before:thumbsup:

Good price. I've worked it out that it wouldnt be worth it to buy a phone for£360 or more as then I'd just be better taking out the £35p/m (£97 for phone) 18month iphone contract for her.
    If I could get one for £260 then I'd be very pleased.
    Cheers:thumbsup:

Original Poster

kingy58;6354177

You can get £100 Quidco cashback on this SIM so it works out at about £12 … You can get £100 Quidco cashback on this SIM so it works out at about £12 per month and you get 800 mins and 1600 texts and an extra bolt-on (like unlimited internet). Info ]here

Will look into it. Thanks:thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What will £250 get me second hand mobile66
      2. New a camera to keep track of my Demintina Mother78
      3. Info on Browns Family Jewellers34
      4. Cheapest way to obtain Microsoft Office?77

See more discussions