3G reception in Newquay?

Found 15th Aug 2011
We're having a weeks' holiday in Newquay at the end of the month. On our first day there I'll be missing the match between Liverpool and Bolton Wanderers.

It's on Sky Sports but our holiday park (Hendra) doesn't have Sky. We'll only be arriving shortly before kick off as well so instead of messing about trying to find a local pub I thought I would take my laptop and try and watch it on Sky Go instead.

Only problem is I'm going to need a reliable 3G signal and apparently getting one of those in that part of the country can be a bit tricky so I believe?

So I'd just like to hear from anybody who knows the area which networks, if any, offer the best 3G reception?

I have sims for all the major networks and an unlocked phone so can put a few pound credit on whichever network is recommended.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
11 Comments

i believe i have the answer you are looking for

EDIT: oops, no im sorry it seems i have lost it

Why don't you have a look for pubs close to where your staying and phone them up and see if they have skysports?

Not really messing around then is it.

Original Poster

jonny619447

Why don't you have a look for pubs close to where your staying and phone … Why don't you have a look for pubs close to where your staying and phone them up and see if they have skysports?Not really messing around then is it.

Because I've been told that the nearest pub with Sky Sports is a mile and a half away and by the time our train gets us there we'll be checking in minutes before kick off.

If we were getting there any sooner then I'd go and find a pub and leave the laptop at home but we're not.

Have you checked if the holiday park has any wireless hotspots

Im sure they will be playing the following week and you could watch that instead?

RickT

Im sure they will be playing the following week and you could watch that … Im sure they will be playing the following week and you could watch that instead?

Not Bolton they wont, so doesn't solve OP's problem

(I'm assuming OP is a liverpool fan)

Edited by: "jonny619447" 15th Aug 2011

Original Poster

fawcett

Have you checked if the holiday park has any wireless hotspots

Cheers just rang them and apparently they've got free wifi in the bar which is brilliant, if it works, so I'll go there. Sounds daft but for some reason I kind of had it in my head that if the site didn't have Sky then they surely wouldn't have wifi either!

Hope it works OK because I missed the match this time last year due to not being able to get a connection at Butlins. After having no problems at Haven the year before. The portable wifi hotspot on my San Fran should come as a handy back up this time though.

Banned

Take a radio just in case

Original Poster

jonny619447

Not Bolton they wont, so doesn't solve OP's problem :p(I'm assuming OP is … Not Bolton they wont, so doesn't solve OP's problem :p(I'm assuming OP is a liverpool fan)

Yeah I'm a Liverpool season ticket holder. Have had to sell my seat for the game. Would have preferred to go on holiday before the season started but with being restricted to the school holidays, the last week before they go back is so much cheaper than the others.

The last 3 years we've booked the same bank holiday week, before the fixtures came out in the hope that we'd be playing away. The first year I got lucky but the last two we've been playing at home. On the up side at least its not a game against one of the big boys and the money I get will come in handy for spends.

Original Poster

greatest666

Take a radio just in case

Yeah good thinking. I've got a little pocket one with AM on that I bought for listening to the World Cup in work on. I'll take that with me and put 5Live / Talk Sport on if things go t!ts up!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions