4 way socket extension

Found 23rd JunEdited by:"madmax666"
was looking for a 4 way switched wall mountable socket with usb (fire proof and surge)
I know some of it is just selling points but as its for a 14 year olds bedroom wanted to make it safe so plumped on this (not this seller but this unit) amazon.co.uk/BES…54R

anyway while looking for a cheaper price on ebay i am now concerned by the sheer amount of this produce sold as refurbished (could these things have a problem or is it normal for thousands of sellers selling refurbs

I mean going by the add this thing is everything proof but it does not look like it
am i just worring to much
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Is surge protection needed these day? I read that devices have basic surge protection built in plus you will only ever get a problem if there is a lightning strike near by. I have a surge protector on pc and Im starting to question why. It's never stopped the power supply blowing. I think living on a housing estate there really is little point but if I lived in an open area maybe I would. I think total house surge protection fitted by an electrician is the answer. Maybe sparks can give an answer. The surge protection you linked to looks fine to me though
Edited by: "wayners" 23rd Jun
wayners10 m ago

Is surge protection needed these day? I read that devices have basic surge …Is surge protection needed these day? I read that devices have basic surge protection built in plus you will only ever get a problem if there is a lightning strike near by. I have a surge protector on pc and Im starting to question why. It's never stopped the power supply blowing. I think living on a housing estate there really is little point but if I lived in an open area maybe I would. I think total house surge protection fitted by an electrician is the answer. Maybe sparks can give an answer. The surge protection you linked to looks fine to me though

Yeah the MOVs in extension leads die all the time so I wouldn't expect cheap PSUs to prevent surges. Best to be safe than sorry.
My main worry was the sheer amount of these on ebay as reconditioned does this show a flaw especially on one as expensive that is supposed to be well everything proof
After reading for several hours on the possible benifits of surge protected strip plugs I came to a resounding conclusion of they are a waste of money. Reason being that yes they are offering surge protection but it's a bit like saying we have a cure for cancer, yes that maybe true but there are lots of cancers we don't have cures for. So yes it does offer surge protection but for not all types of electrical surges of which there maybe many different ones. Also as said previously if your consumer unit and appliance doesn't deal with the surge then realistically a strip plug won't either.
hubcms51 m ago

After reading for several hours on the possible benifits of surge …After reading for several hours on the possible benifits of surge protected strip plugs I came to a resounding conclusion of they are a waste of money. Reason being that yes they are offering surge protection but it's a bit like saying we have a cure for cancer, yes that maybe true but there are lots of cancers we don't have cures for. So yes it does offer surge protection but for not all types of electrical surges of which there maybe many different ones. Also as said previously if your consumer unit and appliance doesn't deal with the surge then realistically a strip plug won't either.

electronics.howstuffworks.com/gad…htm
techpowerup.com/art…0/3

You only get surges and spikes, some are internal and some external but it's all a mater of how higher and long the voltage increases. Most simple modern surge protection uses MOVs to dump excess voltage to ground thus protecting electronics from excessive voltage. Enough surges eventually kills the MOV and you end up with an unprotected extension cable.

No surge protector means that your reasonable PC PSU handles the issue and you end up killing the MOV in the PSU. £10 surge protector vs £50-£150 PSU. Surge protectors are great little devices if you haven't got the money for a UPS power suppy.

HDMI boards suffer the same fate as it's easy to have two different ground voltages between a grounded and ungrounded device, you normally can see this by electric sparks when touching a hdmi connector of a lead against the faceplate of the 2nd device. This ends up blowing the HDMI port if you're unlucky.

In general for £10 it's better to have some protection than nothing at all.
That "How Stuff Works" citation is obviously a scam. Obvious. All recommendations are subjectve - no numbers. The first indication of a scam.

View spec numbers for that Bestek. Everyone can. Did anyone? How many joules does it claim to 'absorb'? From spec numbers - 300 and never more than 600 joules. A surge that tiny has always been converted by electronics into rock stable, low DC voltages. Surge is consumed to safely power semiconductors.

A surge too tiny to damage appliances will also destory that near zero joule protector. Then naive consumers will use wild speculation to assume, "My protector sacrificed itself to save my appliance." Total bull that can only eixst with junk science reasoning. That means ignoring numbers.

No protector inside appliances. Its standard design means a hundreds joule surge does no damage.

What happens when a potentially destructive surge occurs - ie hundreds of thousands of joules. What do near zero joules in that Bestek do? Hopefully a one amp thermal fuse will trip - disconnect protector parts as fast as possible. And leave that surge connected to attached appliances.

Unfortunately that fuse sometimes does not disconnect fast enough. This is a too common result: imgur.com/hwC…HMW

APC is a more honest company. They admitted some 15 million protectors must be removed immediately due to so many house fires. Others cannot bother. It would hurt profits.

Have your attention yet? Protection means hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipates outside. If a surge is all but invited inside (by the homeowner), then it will go hunting for earth ground destructively via appliances. Worse, that power strip protector may even compromise what is better protection inside electronics.

Why no numbers? Others (ie How Stuff Works) is marketing to consumers who want to stay naive. Who do not learn why surges do damage, who do not learn the dangers of near zero joule power strips, and who do not learn what others (ie BT) have done for over 100 years to have complete protection - for less money.

The informed consumers properly earths one 'whole house' protector. Then everything (dishwasher, RCDs, furnace, dimmer switches, clocks, refrigerator, toaster, TVs, recharging electronics, smoke detectors) everything is protected.

More numbers. Lightning is typically 20,000 amps. A direct lightning strike must not cause a protector failure or appliance damage. So a properly earthed 'whole house' protector is at least 50,000 amps. These are provided by other companies that actually have integrity. Including Keison, AEL Group, Siemens, ABB, and so many others. It is essential to even protect near zero joules in many times more expensive power strip protectors. But this is the most critical sentence in the entire post. A protector is only as effective as its low impedance (ie less than 3 meter) connection to earth ground. (Obviously wall receptacle safety ground is not earth ground.)
Knew this would end in a surge protection yes or no or good v bad

But the question i asked is @ £33 would the amount of people selling these on ebay as reconditioned ring alarm bells as to how long they will last
westom3 h, 1 m ago

That "How Stuff Works" citation is obviously a scam. Obvious. All …That "How Stuff Works" citation is obviously a scam. Obvious. All recommendations are subjectve - no numbers. The first indication of a scam.View spec numbers for that Bestek. Everyone can. Did anyone? How many joules does it claim to 'absorb'? From spec numbers - 300 and never more than 600 joules. A surge that tiny has always been converted by electronics into rock stable, low DC voltages. Surge is consumed to safely power semiconductors.A surge too tiny to damage appliances will also destory that near zero joule protector. Then naive consumers will use wild speculation to assume, "My protector sacrificed itself to save my appliance." Total bull that can only eixst with junk science reasoning. That means ignoring numbers. No protector inside appliances. Its standard design means a hundreds joule surge does no damage.What happens when a potentially destructive surge occurs - ie hundreds of thousands of joules. What do near zero joules in that Bestek do? Hopefully a one amp thermal fuse will trip - disconnect protector parts as fast as possible. And leave that surge connected to attached appliances.Unfortunately that fuse sometimes does not disconnect fast enough. This is a too common result: http://imgur.com/hwCWHMWAPC is a more honest company. They admitted some 15 million protectors must be removed immediately due to so many house fires. Others cannot bother. It would hurt profits.Have your attention yet? Protection means hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipates outside. If a surge is all but invited inside (by the homeowner), then it will go hunting for earth ground destructively via appliances. Worse, that power strip protector may even compromise what is better protection inside electronics.Why no numbers? Others (ie How Stuff Works) is marketing to consumers who want to stay naive. Who do not learn why surges do damage, who do not learn the dangers of near zero joule power strips, and who do not learn what others (ie BT) have done for over 100 years to have complete protection - for less money.The informed consumers properly earths one 'whole house' protector. Then everything (dishwasher, RCDs, furnace, dimmer switches, clocks, refrigerator, toaster, TVs, recharging electronics, smoke detectors) everything is protected.More numbers. Lightning is typically 20,000 amps. A direct lightning strike must not cause a protector failure or appliance damage. So a properly earthed 'whole house' protector is at least 50,000 amps. These are provided by other companies that actually have integrity. Including Keison, AEL Group, Siemens, ABB, and so many others. It is essential to even protect near zero joules in many times more expensive power strip protectors. But this is the most critical sentence in the entire post. A protector is only as effective as its low impedance (ie less than 3 meter) connection to earth ground. (Obviously wall receptacle safety ground is not earth ground.)

interesting post so would you recommend the one i linked or if not please link to a good one
just want a good switched safe as possible one for a kids bedroom ie 14 years old
things to be fitted to it are likely ps4, lamp, phone charger and possibly small fan
just bought this one that was on a lightning deal
amazon.co.uk/TIS…c=1
this will be for my own room

But still interested in the one linked below for my sons room
amazon.co.uk/BES…=22

anyone recommend a good one
Edited by: "madmax666" 24th Jun
madmax6667 h, 55 m ago

But the question i asked is @ £33 would the amount of people selling these …But the question i asked is @ £33 would the amount of people selling these on ebay as reconditioned ring alarm bells as to how long they will last

£33 says nothing about its life expectancy. Where tens or hundreds of thousands of joules dissipate says everything.

Plug-in protector should only be used in conjunction with a 'whole house' protector. Otherwise catastrophic protector failure on a first surge is expected. MOVs manufacturers (the protector parts) are quite blunt about this. MOVs must never suffer a catastrophic failure.

Protection is always about where hundreds of thousands of joules are harmlessly absorbed. A valid recommendation will discuss that. An effective protector must not fail catastrophically even after multiple surges. A plug-in protector must avoid discussing that problem. Due to its near zero joules.

Effective protection, costing about £1 per appliance, means no failure for many decades even after many direct lightning strikes. In part, because that potentially destructive current never gets inside a structure.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants