40-43” TV advice.

Found 16th Mar
I’m after a 40-43” tv for the living room. Not after bigger as limited space prohibits a larger screen unfortunately.

I’ve read reviews about various brands and models and I’m keen on the Samsung ue40mu6400 or 6470. Ive also eyed the Panasonic 700. I’ve not considered Toshiba as their £400-£500 range seems uncompetitive. I’ve not given Sony any real consideration as they don’t seem to pop up in the reviews so much, and I get the feeling Samsung have got this price point and size nailed with the models I mentioned.

The TV will replace an old 5 series 1080p that I bought for about 500 in 2008/9. So I know already it’s going to be a step up. I’ll be using it for SD and HD viewing mainly, with a little gaming on the Xbox one S, and movies via Netflix and amazon video.

I wonder if anyone has any experience of the two Samsungs and could comment on upscaling, motion blur or judder, input lag, and generally if there are any other sets in the price range that I should be considering, including perhaps Sony and the Philips ambi light range. Initial ambition is to get the Samsung 4670 as it is the higher PQI which I imagine improves lag and motion blur. I’m hopeful that the price on that set might drop toward the 400 mark come Easter or as the new range comes out.

Cheers folks.
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
Original Poster
Out of curiosity, how do I change my name in my profile instead of the one it automatically put in there on my behalf?
The 6470 is just the Currys exclusive version of the 6400, I'd expect image quality to be identical. PQI is just a marketing number.
i was mighty impressed by the image quality on the 6400. Ended up with the 6120 as i was lucky to get in on the co-op/ebay price glitch in Jan- but if i could do over i'd get the 6400. JL will price match this, if it's of interest.
cramptonandmoore.co.uk/sam…wcB
Edited by: "shepademus" 16th Mar
Original Poster
EndlessWaves4 h, 25 m ago

The 6470 is just the Currys exclusive version of the 6400, I'd expect …The 6470 is just the Currys exclusive version of the 6400, I'd expect image quality to be identical. PQI is just a marketing number.

Yeah I thought that might be the case, but looking at specs on Samsung website, the 4670 has higher PQI; 1600 over 1500, and it also has ‘supreme’ UHD dimming as opposed to just UHD dimming, which apparently improves contrast. I was also unsure how Currys might justify the extra £70 for the 4670, when they stock both models.

Anyway, like I said, any other user experience and things that pushed people towards alternatives, I’d be really pleased to hear about. I’m getting the feeling that I should plump for the 6470 when the price hits a sweet spot, which I’m thinking will be about £450.
Original Poster
Aha. I see about the PQI thing now. It’s just Samsung’s own brand of picture quality rating. I thought it might be a pan brand term. I suspect that the higher PQI is related to this supreme UHD dimming. Now to work out if that is marketing nonsense or whether there truly are more active dimming zones (yes I know it’s not local dimming).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants