40% Re-stocking Fee?

Found 30th Jun
Recently bought some concrete lintels, quite large and heavy from a builders merchants. Turns out they were much larger than what was needed.

I have contacted the company and they have agreed to pick up the lintels from me but with a 40% restocking fee taken off. They also want me to be on site when the driver turns up to give him a hand as they have said they can’t send out two men for the job?!

Are re-stocking fee's legal? There is no mention of it on the website or on the invoice I received from the merchant. I thought the 40% was a bit excessive but with them picking the item up I figured ok it’s a heavy item so I could live it. Now they are asking me to be on site when the driver turns up to give him a hand!
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
You're having a laugh?

You went to a trade supplier, told them what you wanted and drove away with them.

When it turns out that *you* chose the wrong thing you want *them* to collect it with two people and give you a full refund?
14 Comments
Was it a business to business transaction? Also I’d screenshot all the terms and conditions quickly before any can be altered.
If they were an off the shelf item (not made to order) and bought through the website then you are entitled to a full refund other than the cost of getting it back to them.
choccie3214 m ago

Was it a business to business transaction? Also I’d screenshot all the t …Was it a business to business transaction? Also I’d screenshot all the terms and conditions quickly before any can be altered.

Nope, I just turned up as customer for a one off transaction
EndlessWaves4 m ago

If they were an off the shelf item (not made to order) and bought through …If they were an off the shelf item (not made to order) and bought through the website then you are entitled to a full refund other than the cost of getting it back to them.

Not made to order. but purchased directly from the retailer. I did pay on card. Am i better off maybe trying to do a chargeback?
Edited by: "king132" 30th Jun
EndlessWaves2 m ago

If they were an off the shelf item (not made to order) and bought through …If they were an off the shelf item (not made to order) and bought through the website then you are entitled to a full refund other than the cost of getting it back to them.

If the sale was classed as a ‘trade’ sale and VAT added separately then he is not entitled to a full refund
Then they are not allowed to charge restocking fees, and if they do not state that in instances of change of mind, buyer pays return delivery costs then they will also need to do that, as well as the original delivery costs.
Edited by: "choccie32" 30th Jun
I see a few companies do re stocking charges. Not 40% tho
king13235 m ago

Nope, I just turned up as customer for a one off transactionNot made to …Nope, I just turned up as customer for a one off transactionNot made to order. but purchased directly from the retailer. I did pay on card. Am i better off maybe trying to do a chargeback?

What do you mean by purchased directly?

If you bought in person then they only have to stick to their published refund policy, which may be no refund or a partial refund. You only have a right to refund if buying online, over the phone or some other way that didn't allow you to see the item beforehand.
See if they will waive the fee if you bring them back yourself
cant you just use a disc cutter and chop them to size?
you should really have had your measurements in order before you bought them though tbh

ive a feeling this was you in the Builders Merchants...

34194909-L8Cwo.jpg
Edited by: "cainer1" 30th Jun
Sorry just seen it wasn’t an online/distance transaction. As you bought in person then yes I believe they can do this as they don’t have to take the product back for change of mind/your error. If it was faulty then it would be not allowed
EndlessWaves1 h, 0 m ago

What do you mean by purchased directly?If you bought in person then they …What do you mean by purchased directly?If you bought in person then they only have to stick to their published refund policy, which may be no refund or a partial refund. You only have a right to refund if buying online, over the phone or some other way that didn't allow you to see the item beforehand.

As in. i phoned up and asked if they stocked the item. They said yes and gave me the cost.

They were local to me so i turned up at the place. Paid by credit card and took the item.

cainer142 m ago

cant you just use a disc cutter and chop them to size?you should really …cant you just use a disc cutter and chop them to size?you should really have had your measurements in order before you bought them though tbhive a feeling this was you in the Builders Merchants... [Image]

Haha. Not quite - The guy i had doing my ground works said i should get them in his list of materials. Then the bricky turned up, who did the brick work to DPC and said no they are too big.

I ended up buying some smaller ones.

2 x R22 100mm x 215mm x 1800mm in the back of my Audi A3 from the merchants....
king1326 m ago

The guy i had doing my ground works said i should get them in his list of …The guy i had doing my ground works said i should get them in his list of materials.

then thats who you should speak to about a refund, or dock him some money for false advise
You're having a laugh?

You went to a trade supplier, told them what you wanted and drove away with them.

When it turns out that *you* chose the wrong thing you want *them* to collect it with two people and give you a full refund?
king1323 h, 57 m ago

Nope, I just turned up as customer for a one off transactionNot made to …Nope, I just turned up as customer for a one off transactionNot made to order. but purchased directly from the retailer. I did pay on card. Am i better off maybe trying to do a chargeback?

you haven't got grounds for a chargeback. The company has supplied what you asked for and they aren't faulty.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions