£400 laptop. Processing Speed is Most Important

Found 15th Jul
Hi. I have up to £400 to spend on a laptop. I am looking for speed of reaction and processing. don’t need huge memory as I have an external drive and use online storage.

Don’t mind new or refurbished as long as it has warranty. Will use for general website maintenance and normal use. No gaming. Any suggestions? Thanks as always.
Community Updates
AskLaptop
7 Comments
Ram clock and ram capacity will also be important to you then if your are processing. Are you single core or multi core processing?
think of a library and you as the cpu at the index drawers with row upon row of data on the shelves. Your overall speed is the rate at which the data (books on the shelves) comes to you.

Now think of you as the CPU but sitting at a PC and the data as being on the internet. Instant, so long as you can find it.

A modest CPU is often capable of handling the data but it needs an SSD to make the delay of getting book data into your head

Are you gaming? Streaming? Number crunching? Drawing?
General website admin and normal use are usually far more dependant on the speed of the rest of the system than the processor. Are you sure you need maximum processing power at the cost of general system speed?

Also, memory and storage aren't interchangeable. Your external hard drive doesn't affect your memory requirements, only your storage requirements.
cmdr_elito54 m ago

Ram clock and ram capacity will also be important to you then if your are …Ram clock and ram capacity will also be important to you then if your are processing. Are you single core or multi core processing?

Apologies not sure what that means. I will use it for normal work but my current one is so slow, I will sacrifice space for speed. I tend to use multiple chrome pages and a photo editor at the same time
Edited by: "plumfin" 15th Jul
ccnp37 m ago

think of a library and you as the cpu at the index drawers with row upon …think of a library and you as the cpu at the index drawers with row upon row of data on the shelves. Your overall speed is the rate at which the data (books on the shelves) comes to you.Now think of you as the CPU but sitting at a PC and the data as being on the internet. Instant, so long as you can find it.A modest CPU is often capable of handling the data but it needs an SSD to make the delay of getting book data into your headAre you gaming? Streaming? Number crunching? Drawing?

I use chrome to administrate my website so a good few pics but all hosted on OneDrive. I also use a pattern making programme and photo editor and email. Some spreadsheet but bot the main focus. Thx
EndlessWaves4 m ago

General website admin and normal use are usually far more dependant on the …General website admin and normal use are usually far more dependant on the speed of the rest of the system than the processor. Are you sure you need maximum processing power at the cost of general system speed?Also, memory and storage aren't interchangeable. Your external hard drive doesn't affect your memory requirements, only your storage requirements.

Ah ok. So would I be better with 8gb than Ssd? I’m getting laptop blindness to be honest. Thx.
Based on your response I’d recommend:

At least i5 processor
8gb or 16gb of DDR4 ram
240gb SSD
And some decent on board graphics compatible with your photo editor

Rationale:
You want something fast, an i5 is enough for most desktop tasks (your price range is too low for i7), ram is important as multiple windows and editing photos will use ram. An SSD is a massive jump forward compared to older HDD machines, this goes someway to enabling computers to keep up with the speed of the processors. The spec I mentioned will likely last you 4-5 years, if you go lower you will likely be replacing the machine in 1-3 years.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants