Groups

480 4gb for £170 a good deal? plus recommended psu wattage?

So I found a rx 480 4gb on warehouse for £170 and they seem like pretty decent cards, was this a good buy? I believe so but was thinking about a 970?
    Also what psu would you recommend? I saw a post saying minimum of 450w and another 550w. 550w surely?

5 Comments

deadleg22

Also what psu would you recommend? I saw a post saying minimum of 450w … Also what psu would you recommend? I saw a post saying minimum of 450w and another 550w. 550w surely?

PSU recommendations are pretty meaningless without the rest of the system. They're just estimates that add the card's power consumption onto whatever the estimator thinks is the most power hungry system an RX 480 will be commonly placed into.

An RX 470 draws about 160W peak, maybe a more for cards with extra power connectors. It would be reasonable to use a stock RX 480 on a 250W PSU if the rest of the system was fairly minimal or you could require more than that is you've got an overclocked CPU or lots of other hardware in there.

i think its a good deal mate, i got a 970 for £180 from warehouse deal on thursday, messaged them and told them there was an sli cap missing and the gave me 25% refund on original price so actually paid £135, worth a go especially if there is something that wasn't in the description. dont know about yhe psu situation i would assume 500 watt would be fine, im sure i read tdp on the 480 is about 145-150 watt, but not 100 percent on that.

just googled it and it seems tdp is around 170 watts, but can increase depending on usage, motherboard etc. hope this helps

Original Poster

mcon

i think its a good deal mate, i got a 970 for £180 from warehouse deal on … i think its a good deal mate, i got a 970 for £180 from warehouse deal on thursday, messaged them and told them there was an sli cap missing and the gave me 25% refund on original price so actually paid £135, worth a go especially if there is something that wasn't in the description. dont know about yhe psu situation i would assume 500 watt would be fine, im sure i read tdp on the 480 is about 145-150 watt, but not 100 percent on that.

oh wow nice deal! Cheers for the info.

Found a 480 8gb on Amazon FR if your interested amazon.fr/Sap…480

Works out at checkout as
    Articles: EUR 235.38
    Delivery : EUR 6.10
    total: EUR 241.48
    Voucher: 47,08 EUR box
    (Total amount: EUR 194.40)
    Total payment: GBP 173.41

Edited By: emodan on Nov 21, 2016 14:51
    Post a comment
    @