4G data consumption!!!

Found 15th May 2015
Hi,

I have recently bought a new contract for my wife who was with EE on unlimited minutes, text and 500 mb data (3G from Orange). She's got Xperia Z 4G phone. She never managed to use all of her data in any month in past two years.

Based on her usage, I took a new contract with EE. Everything is same but now she's got 2GB of 4G data.

She is doing everything same as she had been doing in past but when I checked her data usage, they were 1.2 GB used within 7 days only. She has confirmed that she only checked the web pages of news sites on Firefox and watched one 20 minutes video on YouTube.

I have read and been told by EE that if she is doing exactly same as she did in past then the data consumption should be the same. But, clearly that's not the case here.

Could anyone please suggest /guide or advice on this?

Much appreciated

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
You should be able to log into the EE account and it'll show you the daily data usage?
The youtube video might be the cause because they consume quite a lot of data if the resolution high, but it's best to check the data usage in the settings menu in her phone to see what used a big amount of data.
I have the Sony Z2 and the settings should be the same. If you go to settings, data usage and scroll down the page a little you will see App usage and that will show what is using the most data. If you click on to the app it should give you an option to Restrict app background data but for things like facebook this may stop alerts etc so check with the wife to avoid being beaten. lol.
I have had this, using same phone but different contracts. My last was with orange and only 250mb data this one is with EE and now 500mb data yet I've gone over twice already with this new contract doing nothing different x
Doesn't youtube auto detect what your phone is capable of playing and upscale depending? I.e if it can run in 1080p it does therefore use more data?
You tube will use around 500mb every 15 minutes on a good connection
Another vote for the Youtube
Check app settings.
My girlfriend upgraded to a nexus 5. She Had no problem staying under 1gb previously. But exceeded it twice.
She found apps such as Facebook and the guardian app auto sync by default. In 5 days the guardian app had used 260mb of data. Facebook auto plays videos now so again it can be a killer.

In the phone settings you'll be able to go into data and see the apps using most and then investigate from there.
Original Poster
Hi all, thank you so much for your help and advice. I have checked my wife's phone. She doesn't use Facebook so ruled out.

She watched the YouTube video and usage were 381 mb for 20 minutes. She reads newspaper on her phone and use Firefox for that. Firefox has used 553 mb.

She has not increased her usages so my guess is either the richness of contents or EE are the issues.

I have restricted the background data for Firefox and removed hd option when on data from YouTube.

I am going to monitor it now to see what is the real cause.
What I normally end up doing, not just for myself but for others is when I know I will be using media (video) switch it down to 3g only. Stops yourself from wasting loads of data buffering video you will never end up watching :D.
EagleUK

What I normally end up doing, not just for myself but for others is when … What I normally end up doing, not just for myself but for others is when I know I will be using media (video) switch it down to 3g only. Stops yourself from wasting loads of data buffering video you will never end up watching :D.

Not sure if you already do this but Tasker can do that for you
doncoop

Check app settings. My girlfriend upgraded to a nexus 5. She Had no … Check app settings. My girlfriend upgraded to a nexus 5. She Had no problem staying under 1gb previously. But exceeded it twice. She found apps such as Facebook and the guardian app auto sync by default. In 5 days the guardian app had used 260mb of data. Facebook auto plays videos now so again it can be a killer. In the phone settings you'll be able to go into data and see the apps using most and then investigate from there.

I assume you know that you can stop Facebook automatically playing videos?
ipswich78

I assume you know that you can stop Facebook automatically playing videos?

Aye, just know that's the default so might be an issue here. Cheers though
Original Poster
Thank you all. I have changed her settings to 3g now. I will keep monitoring and update you on it.
Original Poster
Hi all, I have been monitoring her phone and usages plus researching about the issue. Here what I have found which is not really helpful but still helps us to know the reason and may help others when they come across similar problems:

1. The usage of Internet stayed same. No change in patterns and content.
2. Converting to 3G helps reducing the data usage but then why pay for 4G?

Findings:
1. New smartphones are coming with better technology allowing users to have fast and heavily loaded Internet.
2. Companies design their web pages and contents based on the Internet speed and capabilities on phone plus network provider. We have lighter version of a web page and also the richest one. Same for video streaming.
3. In past, users were getting the lighter versions automatically but now when the Internet speeds and phones capabilities have improved, the services have become rich in nature causing heavily loaded contents to come on the screen. HD videos, rich web pages and high resolution images. 4. On Wi-Fi we don't have a tool to understand how much data we used on phone (when so many users in the house).

Conclusion:

1. Either keep the phone on 3G or buy lots of data
2. An app which allows the Internet speed to be the same but reduce the data consumption by reducing the content's richness
3. Else, we do the option 2 ourselves manually.
I use opera mini for my web browsing , on maximum settings it reduces my mb used by 92% , strips out all the junk and replaces large images with smaller resolution ones. Also you might want to check your updates, your phones probably updating the apps on the phone some of them are quite large.

play.google.com/sto…com
That's exactly what happened with me. On my old iPhone 4 I was using about 1GB a month and upgraded to iPhone 5s and my data was being used in the first 7 days! Every month for 24 months I had to pay an extra £20 for 10GB of data just to see me through. EE are such a rip off!!
i switched from 3G on EE to 4G on EE last month and I noticed data used is more. I googled whether using 4G ate more data than 3G and was told no but it definately does on the same phone. Not doubled but I noticed a definate increase even though my browsing pattern is the same and I don't think I stay on the net any longer.

however 4G is so much faster, i will stick with it and get more data next renewal.
Original Poster
mutley1

i switched from 3G on EE to 4G on EE last month and I noticed data used … i switched from 3G on EE to 4G on EE last month and I noticed data used is more. I googled whether using 4G ate more data than 3G and was told no but it definately does on the same phone. Not doubled but I noticed a definate increase even though my browsing pattern is the same and I don't think I stay on the net any longer.however 4G is so much faster, i will stick with it and get more data next renewal.

​Yes, the data consumption is higher on 4G as I explained in the above comment. I have done a long research and with multiple phones on various networks (EE, Vodafone, O2) and results are same. It's not the network issue. It's the new technologies and speed which escalate the consumption due to rich content and graphics. Best option is to get more data unless you are happy to stick to 3G which you surely aren't.
EE has data speeds faster than my home broadband (38mbits/s) at times so sites will generally detect and render more high definition webpages and images as well as video playback so it can make a huge difference than getting low quality playback on a 3G signal. Some apps may also update themselves when they auto detect a faster connection so could make sure that's set to WiFi only and not just files over 50mb by WiFi and use a browser that'll let you choose lower resolution webpages and block adverts and videos from auto playing. Some online multiplayer games can use up data too that you wouldn't really expect like turn based games and Facebook is known for using high data as it downloads loads of videos and images automatically so if worried about that you could use the browser version! Anytime I check my Facebook usage it's over 1GB a month and all I do is have the daily browse but all the videos must be downloading in the background so when you eventually scroll passed them they can auto play and catch your attention without the need to buffer!
My data manager. It's an android app that will list all your apps and show you the data used for each individual apps day or month. Will also alert you on how much data you have used on a daily basses and if you continue then you will exceed your limit. The free version is all you need and what you discover what's going on you can remove if you want.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions