4G Router advice

Posted 3rd May
So after moving properties and having to pay a heft cancellation fee to Hyperoptic (landlord issues) I've decided against to try a 4G sim and router combo. Just over a year ago I bought an unlimited data Smarty SIM and the TP-Link Archer MR200 router. Not sure why chose it over a Huawei. For the duration up until yesterday I would get 10mb down but if I switch to 3G its about 20mb but upload speeds drops.

So apparently some spots in the house give better speeds. It turns out another room was giving just about 40mb but not that consistent but definitely seeing more than 20mb. So after checking the whole house I found the best spot and the router is hanging high up on the wall lol. So now I'm looking at options, I don't really want another contact and I'm not a heavy downloader as I was before but thinking of getting Netflix or maybe IPTV (are we allowed to discuss about that here?)

1. Can I buy an external antenna, will that give me better speeds?
2. If so does it have to be stuck outside as I don't want to drill at a property that isn't mine.
3. If a buy a Huawei B535, will that give me better speeds than my current setup?
4. Does anyone else offer unlimited 4G at about £20 per month? Currently paying £18.75.

Any help is appreciated.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

12 Comments
Vodafone's Voxi is £10/m no contract no credit check unlimited (unmetered) data marketed as 6GB (8GB on promo) and will remain unmetered until Voxi learns to count.
1. yes an antenna will give you better signal but the price of such outweighs the benefits when you can just get Fibre.. unless your antenna is around 5-10 meters from your router you are going to get a lot of loss of signal on cheap cable, so its going to cost you again for high gauge cabling if looking at a 15m+ run which most households would be..

2. You can mount it in the loft but the issue is the same as the router being in the house, how thick are the walls etc, it kind of defeats the point.

3. Yes should give you a much better connection too, so might eliminate 1 & 2

4. Best 4G network really is EE. Smarty Unlimited for £20 no contracts, but its Three so could be amazing connection or terrible depending where you live.
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 4th May
It seems like you have an issues with the band, for eg. I have good signals if its connected to 800mhz frequency (voda) but max downloads is upto 10mb.. if it connects to 2100mhz frequency with less bars, i get upto 120mb download speed.

There is a software mainly used for huawei routers mifi where you can force it to use specific band.

It depends on which mast its connected.
Edited by: "secretmsg" 4th May
Might be easier to obtain better placement for combination of cellular reception and convenience of router location via battered 4G smartphone tethered by up to 5metres of USB cable to a standard router; the often cited MO at hotukdeals.com/com…674
secretmsg04/05/2020 03:31

It seems like you have an issues with the band, for eg. I have good …It seems like you have an issues with the band, for eg. I have good signals if its connected to 800mhz frequency (voda) but max downloads is upto 10mb.. if it connects to 2100mhz frequency with less bars, i get upto 120mb download speed. There is a software mainly used for huawei routers mifi where you can force it to use specific band.It depends on which mast its connected.

I was reading about bands but can't seem to select it on this router.
AndyRoyd04/05/2020 03:43

Might be easier to obtain better placement for combination of cellular …Might be easier to obtain better placement for combination of cellular reception and convenience of router location via battered 4G smartphone tethered by up to 5metres of USB cable to a standard router; the often cited MO at https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/37786674

So a that usb cable will be connected to the router? I think I have a batter phone lying around somewhere, should be 4g enabled. Might even have my Hyperoptic router somewhere as well. I Asus routers are excellent.
AndyRoyd04/05/2020 00:43

Vodafone's Voxi is £10/m no contract no credit check unlimited (unmetered) …Vodafone's Voxi is £10/m no contract no credit check unlimited (unmetered) data marketed as 6GB (8GB on promo) and will remain unmetered until Voxi learns to count.

Andy you seem to be a great source of knowledge regarding 4G routers so hopefully you can provide some clarity on the below. You have referenced an older HUKD post however I am very keen to understand the huawie 4g that is referenced from eBay however due to how old the post is, the listing is no longer present.

The posts in reference is below;

Bought this basic Huawei 4G 100Mbps unlocked portable hotspot to go with it £10.99 (though I had a £5 ebay voucher for some reason on my account to take it down more). Just arrived today, though will not be testing until Tuesday next week to ensure my 30 day sim covers me for my holiday.

ebay.co.uk/itm…495
Chipps04/05/2020 10:39

Andy you seem to be a great source of knowledge regarding 4G routers so …Andy you seem to be a great source of knowledge regarding 4G routers so hopefully you can provide some clarity on the below. You have referenced an older HUKD post however I am very keen to understand the huawie 4g that is referenced from eBay however due to how old the post is, the listing is no longer present.The posts in reference is below;Bought this basic Huawei 4G 100Mbps unlocked portable hotspot to go with it £10.99 (though I had a £5 ebay voucher for some reason on my account to take it down more). Just arrived today, though will not be testing until Tuesday next week to ensure my 30 day sim covers me for my holiday. ebay.co.uk/itm/273869359495

I wasn't the buyer of the referenced 4G router at hotukdeals.com/com…984, but it was possibly a Huawei E589 (or suffixed derivative) that typically shift at around £15 on the bay.
The actual buyer was @cecilmcroberts who may be able to clarify.
AndyRoyd06/05/2020 20:21

I wasn't the buyer of the referenced 4G router at …I wasn't the buyer of the referenced 4G router at https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/37788984, but it was possibly a Huawei E589 (or suffixed derivative) that typically shift at around £15 on the bay.The actual buyer was @cecilmcroberts who may be able to clarify.

Yups it was an E589. To be honest no real benchmark for the speed as only using it on holidays Turkey,Cyprus,Canary Islands with either Smarty or Voxi, both networks are terrible speeds at home to test anyhow (in the sticks in N.Ireland, O2 is about the only I get a good signal with and even then it's not exactly fast)

40662545-9NQKs.jpg
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 6th May
cecilmcroberts06/05/2020 23:53

Yups it was an E589. To be honest no real benchmark for the speed as only …Yups it was an E589. To be honest no real benchmark for the speed as only using it on holidays Turkey,Cyprus,Canary Islands with either Smarty or Voxi, both networks are terrible speeds at home to test anyhow (in the sticks in N.Ireland, O2 is about the only I get a good signal with and even then it's not exactly fast)[Image]

Thanks cecilmcroberts - really appreciate this detail!

I also purchased voxi for use in turkey (if the holiday goes ahead) however interesting I believe they have updated their T&C’s regarding roaming in Turkey - I will explore nearer the time what that actually means and the online chat didn’t make it clear if the data usage would be free or not
MrSprkle04/05/2020 01:11

1. yes an antenna will give you better signal but the price of such …1. yes an antenna will give you better signal but the price of such outweighs the benefits when you can just get Fibre.. unless your antenna is around 5-10 meters from your router you are going to get a lot of loss of signal on cheap cable, so its going to cost you again for high gauge cabling if looking at a 15m+ run which most households would be..2. You can mount it in the loft but the issue is the same as the router being in the house, how thick are the walls etc, it kind of defeats the point. 3. Yes should give you a much better connection too, so might eliminate 1 & 24. Best 4G network really is EE. Smarty Unlimited for £20 no contracts, but its Three so could be amazing connection or terrible depending where you live.

Got the antenna and it's not making any difference, if anything it's worse. Does the whole wire need to be stretched out or can it be curled?

Also got the B535 and that seems worse also so that's very upsetting. This is also with bunny ears antennas and xpol1 antenna.
Chipps07/05/2020 10:00

Thanks cecilmcroberts - really appreciate this detail!I also purchased …Thanks cecilmcroberts - really appreciate this detail!I also purchased voxi for use in turkey (if the holiday goes ahead) however interesting I believe they have updated their T&C’s regarding roaming in Turkey - I will explore nearer the time what that actually means and the online chat didn’t make it clear if the data usage would be free or not

Should have been in Turkey myself right now Changed to October so fingers crossed. Gave up following the whole Vodafone Turkey part when I knew my holiday was being cancelled. When I left following it, Vodafone had postponed the change in taking away Turkey from all the plans (only available on Unlim Red plans), then it changed to be only for those "stuck" in Turkey currently. Voxi during all this still listed Turkey as free strangely. I'll pick it up again once I know I'm going in October!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions