4G WiFi

Posted 5th Mar
I know there has been many threads discussing the best value for money regarding 4G sims in a router combo - my query is for those who have gone down this route, and is the download/upload speeds good enough for gaming which is what it will mainly be used for. I know the best kind of connections are via cable/fibre but my area has yet to have either installed...
Community Updates
Ask
4 Comments
Speed is only part of criteria. Latency is another.
I’ve used EE temporarily for gaming (personal hotspot on mobile) & it was good enough. Regarding latency, it depends on what games you play; whether they have dedicated servers or not.
If you play FPS games, it’ll probably get a bit frustrating as you’ll have a disadvantage but again, it depends on the game.
If I was you, I would try various mobile 4g networks on payg & see which works best as they all have different speeds dependant on area. It might cost a bit more, but worth the results which will be less frustrating when gaming in the long term, til you can get sufficient speeds hard wired.
Also I should note it’s best to avoid 3rd party networks who piggy back off the main companies, as their speeds are far inferior to the main ones.
Edited by: "Zero.Chill" 6th Mar
Zero.Chill06/03/2020 00:45

I’ve used EE temporarily for gaming (personal hotspot on mobile) & it was g …I’ve used EE temporarily for gaming (personal hotspot on mobile) & it was good enough. Regarding latency, it depends on what games you play; whether they have dedicated servers or not. If you play FPS games, it’ll probably get a bit frustrating as you’ll have a disadvantage but again, it depends on the game. If I was you, I would try various mobile 4g networks on payg & see which works best as they all have different speeds dependant on area. It might cost a bit more, but worth the results which will be less frustrating when gaming in the long term, til you can get sufficient speeds hard wired.Also I should note it’s best to avoid 3rd party networks who piggy back off the main companies, as their speeds are far inferior to the main ones.

Awesome stuff - thanks for this detail and really appreciated. Especially the part around 3rd party providers as this is what I had been initially looking at as they are significantly cheaper
Gameplay needs very little in the way of speed. It's all about consistency which isn't an area where a service shared between more people like mobile broadband is very strong.

I went down this route as the alternative was 2Mbps ADSL, but I wouldn't recommend it if you have a sufficiently fast landline available even if it's 'just' FTTC.

It'll do the job if there's no alternative, but it shouldn't be your first choice.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants