4G Wifi dongles

Posted 28th Mar
Hey, my dad has just moved house before the lockdown and he is self isolating due to his health conditions but we never managed to get WiFi set up before the lockdown

Can anyone suggest a decent 4g dongle that he can use temporarily for a few months, preferably a pay as you go package rather than a 12/24 month contract.

I’ve found unlimited data sim on Smarty for £20pm but I cant find anything that says yo are or aren’t allowed to stick this in a dongle and use it for your home WiFi.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Cisco06060628/03/2020 10:02

You can use any mobile data for tetheringUse an old phone for tethering.Or …You can use any mobile data for tetheringUse an old phone for tethering.Or https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=snettpm7350u&categoryName=wireless-cards-adaptors&superCatName=computing&title=tp-link-m7350-wireless-dual-band-adapterOr get this and take a risk of getting unlock code on ebayhttps://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=smongen600mifiee&categoryName=mobile-broadband&superCatName=phones&title=generic-600mbps-4g-portable-mifi-hotspot-ee

What you have posted he wouldn’t receive as CeX have closed and not doing deliveries as all the products online come directly from the stores
A dongle generally refers to a device you plug into a computer (or phone etc.) and is run by that computer.

As you mention wi-fi it sounds more like you're after a standalone device which would generally be called a router (or a travel router for the more compact, battery powered models).

Ofcom ruled a few years ago that tethering and device restrictions weren't allowed, so you can use any sim card in any device.
Arto28/03/2020 10:11

What you have posted he wouldn’t receive as CeX have closed and not doing d …What you have posted he wouldn’t receive as CeX have closed and not doing deliveries as all the products online come directly from the stores

This pop up when you enter the site which I assume they still selling ?

"Online buy & sell remains open as normal. CeX UK stores are temporarily closed. Our teams are working as quickly as possible to get orders out, please understand that there may be slight delays."
He can get a Voxi £10 pm, no contract click. Other HUKD members have said the data is actually unlimited click. Then use his smartphone as a wifi hotspot.
Edited by: "I_Wish" 28th Mar
Any old battered Android handset unlocked to Vodafone. Throw the £10/m no contract no credit check Voxi SIM in it, turn on the hotspot for unmetered data and unlimited calls and unlimited texts and unlimited pic messages, so your old man not only has unlim tetherable web data but also doesn't have to pay for any other telephone service so might actually save some money as well.
Can even install app to autostart the hotspot at phone boot if required.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions