4GB vs 8GB RAM in my Laptop

Found 28th Apr
I have a HP laptop which is pretty decent spec -
i5 - 7200U @ 2.5GHZ with 4GB RAM.

I want to add another 4GB but not sure if it would need it or be able to use it? Some PC's have a limit of 4GB depending on their specs.

The 4GB I currently have is PC4-2400T RAM
Any ideas? Thanks.,
Community Updates
Ask
29 Comments
I believe you can go to at least 16gb if not 32gb on that(total). I’d buy an 8gb stick.

Put the make and model details into the crucial website uk.crucial.com/gbr…ory they will tell you how much you can expand it and can normally even sell you the ram too!
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 28th Apr
Original Poster
cmdr_elito2 m ago

I believe you can go to at least 16gb if not 32gb on that(total). I’d buy a …I believe you can go to at least 16gb if not 32gb on that(total). I’d buy an 8gb stick.

I think I'll just buy a 4GB stick so the system has 2 x 4GB sticks.

Probably stupid question, but I guess I can buy a 8GB stick and sell the 4GB I have now?
superfreddy8 m ago

I think I'll just buy a 4GB stick so the system has 2 x 4GB …I think I'll just buy a 4GB stick so the system has 2 x 4GB sticks.Probably stupid question, but I guess I can buy a 8GB stick and sell the 4GB I have now?

Of course you can or even buy 2 x 8gb sticks and sell the 4gb one. I have a HP i5 work laptop with 16gb and it flies! :-)

While your in there if you don’t have an ssd I’d suggest you stick one in.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 28th Apr
Original Poster
cmdr_elito3 m ago

Of course you can or even buy 2 x 8gb sticks and sell the 4gb one. I have …Of course you can or even buy 2 x 8gb sticks and sell the 4gb one. I have a HP i5 work laptop with 16gb and it flies! :-)While your in there if you don’t have an ssd I’d suggest you stick one in.

It has an SSD but I couldn't see it when I opened the laptop lol

There was also a small space which looked like it would house something.

Would buying pre-owned RAM be a problem?
superfreddy18 m ago

It has an SSD but I couldn't see it when I opened the laptop lolThere was …It has an SSD but I couldn't see it when I opened the laptop lolThere was also a small space which looked like it would house something.Would buying pre-owned RAM be a problem?

You probably have an M2 SSD which looks like a bit like a ram chip.

You could buy second hand ram but there are risks such as it’s not been handled properly and then might not work. It’s up to you if you want to risk it.
Original Poster
cmdr_elito9 m ago

You probably have an M2 SSD which looks like a bit like a ram chip.You …You probably have an M2 SSD which looks like a bit like a ram chip.You could buy second hand ram but there are risks such as it’s not been handled properly and then might not work. It’s up to you if you want to risk it.

If it's recognised when you put it in the laptop, that's all that matters? Or can the be other issues?
superfreddy3 m ago

If it's recognised when you put it in the laptop, that's all that matters? …If it's recognised when you put it in the laptop, that's all that matters? Or can the be other issues?

Ram chips can be damaged by static, if handled incorrectly these get damaged and may still be recognised by the bios but may cause random crashes (BSOD).
Original Poster
cmdr_elito6 m ago

Ram chips can be damaged by static, if handled incorrectly these get …Ram chips can be damaged by static, if handled incorrectly these get damaged and may still be recognised by the bios but may cause random crashes (BSOD).

Really? Is there anything I can do to test it when it's installed?
superfreddy5 m ago

Really? Is there anything I can do to test it when it's installed?

Only run it for a while, if you get crashing then it’s a dud stick.
Original Poster
cmdr_elito4 m ago

Only run it for a while, if you get crashing then it’s a dud stick.

How often would it crash? Would I notice it with using it just for web browsing for an hour?
superfreddy50 m ago

How often would it crash? Would I notice it with using it just for web …How often would it crash? Would I notice it with using it just for web browsing for an hour?

I’d try and push it a little bit run some videos, web browsing with multiple tabs open etc
Original Poster
cmdr_elito8 m ago

I’d try and push it a little bit run some videos, web browsing with m …I’d try and push it a little bit run some videos, web browsing with multiple tabs open etc

Cheers. I might see if there's an app you can get to test it.
Do you definitely have one 4GB stick at the moment? Most manufacturers would stick in 2 x 2GB sticks.
Original Poster
MIDURIX24 m ago

Do you definitely have one 4GB stick at the moment? Most manufacturers …Do you definitely have one 4GB stick at the moment? Most manufacturers would stick in 2 x 2GB sticks.

Yeh I opened it. There's two slots, one has a 4GB stick.
superfreddy9 h, 3 m ago

Yeh I opened it. There's two slots, one has a 4GB stick.

Well in reply to your original questions I would buy a 4GB stick matching the specs of the one you have and you laptop will be able to use it and it will improve performance. If you upgraded to 2x8GB you wouldn't notice much of an improvement.
Original Poster
This is the inside of my laptop.

Can that space in the top left be utilised at all?

[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/pbxo9.jpg[/IMG]
That space is likely for a hard drive, you'd have to see whether there were any connectors in the silver bit at the bottom if you wanted to use it.

The SSD is the component to the right of the memory.

It's been years since computered were limited to 4GB so it would definite work. It would only benefit you if you were running programs that could use more than 4GB though. What sort of maximum usage do you see at the moment?
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 29th Apr
If you do add more memory. Normal practice would be to add sticks in the same size. To allow for dual channel memory performance tweaks. It may work on size mismatches but not worth the hassle.
Also don’t add slower than what you have, memory will run at the slowest common denominator.
As for used, odds on you’ll be fine. Buy from somewhere like Cex, yes their handling of components isn’t great. You at least get a 2 year warranty.
As for old stock if you went 16GB 2X8. Keep the 4GB, if you have a warranty claim they may get arsey if it isn’t present.
Original Poster
Thanks. I bought the exact same stick if RAM I have now.

Any disadvantages of having two sticks of 4gb rather than one stick of 8gb?
superfreddy42 m ago

Thanks. I bought the exact same stick if RAM I have now.Any disadvantages …Thanks. I bought the exact same stick if RAM I have now.Any disadvantages of having two sticks of 4gb rather than one stick of 8gb?

The only reason normally is future upgrade costs - an extra 8GB will cost less than buying 16GB and replacing both sticks.

But in this situation you'd be paying that cost now instead of later, so 2x4GB is definitely the best option.
8gb is sweet spot for me, I could probs reach max on 8gb but at that point it's silly and I'll just close somethjngs, 16gb is overkill
upgraded my old ish dell laptop (i5 2nd gen) from 4gb to 8gb at a total cost of £20 for both sticks from CEX.

Its not going make a huge difference to speed as such but it is going to allow for more web pages & tabs and processes to run simultaneously - makes the laptop a generally more productive machine.
Original Poster
riccom8 h, 0 m ago

upgraded my old ish dell laptop (i5 2nd gen) from 4gb to 8gb at a total …upgraded my old ish dell laptop (i5 2nd gen) from 4gb to 8gb at a total cost of £20 for both sticks from CEX.Its not going make a huge difference to speed as such but it is going to allow for more web pages & tabs and processes to run simultaneously - makes the laptop a generally more productive machine.

Why did you buy both sticks when you only need an additional 1?
superfreddy3 h, 56 m ago

Why did you buy both sticks when you only need an additional 1?

It may well have come with two sticks. Using only one stick halves the memory bandwidth, so it only tends to be the default on cheaper laptops.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves5 h, 46 m ago

It may well have come with two sticks. Using only one stick halves the …It may well have come with two sticks. Using only one stick halves the memory bandwidth, so it only tends to be the default on cheaper laptops.

The ram I have from fleabay came out of a Lenovo laptop and has a Lenovo sticker on it. Does it matter it's going in a HP laptop? I'm guessing it doesn't lol

Just that the spare ram slot on my laptop has a sticker stating the hp part number...
Well, it's not unheard of to have manufacturer specific RAM but it's unusual for laptops these days. As long as it was sold as standard DDR3 and the seller is likely to know what they're talking about then it'll work fine.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves1 h, 26 m ago

Well, it's not unheard of to have manufacturer specific RAM but it's …Well, it's not unheard of to have manufacturer specific RAM but it's unusual for laptops these days. As long as it was sold as standard DDR3 and the seller is likely to know what they're talking about then it'll work fine.

This is my laptop with my current RAM in:

[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/10nvl3r.jpg[/IMG]

This is what I bought to go with it:

[IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/2mct1sh.jpg[/IMG]

Appear to be both the same so should work right?
Original Poster
Well it's installed and no issues with a memory diagnostic check!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants