4k editing computer form v function v pre-built

Found 5th Sep 2017
[scroll to bottom of op for the TL:DR version]

Hi all.

I have spent the past month researching new PC. budget of anywhere between £1000-1500.

I was going to buy a House Omen 880 with a Ryzen 7 1800x - 16gb ram - Amd Rx580 4gb - 250ssd - 2tb mechanical.

however, having seen the inside of one it's a bit of a mess and the parts don't exactly look good.

I've since been on PcPartPickers and have spec'd a similar build but with a nice case, better. looking internals and what appear to my eyes better quality parts (however someone told me that a lot of manufacturer's stick plastic bits on parts to pimp them up)

Now I know the functionality is the main thing but is it really better to just do it myself? the Omen will cost me £250 less than the parts build.

I don't know as I'm new to all this. Any help will be welcome but refrain from insults because I'm an indecisive idiot and crap like this plays on my mind.

*TL:DR - shall I pay less for an ugly pre build or pay more for a good looking self build of similar specs?
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
31898021-JVuY6.jpg

I'd go for a bigger case than the omen 880 as it's very tight. Have a look at the EATX cases like the cooler master HAF range.
Edited by: "kester76" 5th Sep 2017
Ignoring the Aesthetics. Build your own to get better options on customisation.

Quick list similar to my own build. uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…kNN for £1240
Keep in mind Windows could be had from elsewhere. The 1700 typically overclocks close to the 1800X for over £100 less.
The power supply could be downgraded easily as could the motherboard. Also the 1700 has the included RGB cooler that can match up with the MB lighting.
Original Poster
Oneday771 h, 29 m ago

Ignoring the Aesthetics. Build your own to get better options on …Ignoring the Aesthetics. Build your own to get better options on customisation.Quick list similar to my own build. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/k67kNN for £1240Keep in mind Windows could be had from elsewhere. The 1700 typically overclocks close to the 1800X for over £100 less.The power supply could be downgraded easily as could the motherboard. Also the 1700 has the included RGB cooler that can match up with the MB lighting.

That's almost exactly what I had selected on pcpp. One thing that has me stumped is the plethora of 580/1080 8gb GPUs. I mean are they all so different? Will any do me?

How are you finding the 1700? Have you OC'd it? Have you done any 4k editing?

Oh, and if you don't mind me asking. With that list on Pcpp, how do you buy it all? Do you need to go to each individual shop or is there like a master buy button?

(Sorry for all the questions but it's all a bit overwhelming)
Edited by: "MrDB" 5th Sep 2017
I bought most on Amazon to be honest. Only intended in getting the X370 Prime, 1700 and DDR4 ram.
Ended up buying new case, PSU and recycled some drives and OS. RX580 is on back order.

Not so good on Ryzen front. After checking everything else I have a faulty MB.
Though turned out my 1700 was too. Though that might have been the MBs fault. Should get new MB tomorrow.

Don't let that put you off though I still intending on completing my build. Also explains why I used Amazon, so easy to process DOA returns
Original Poster
Oneday771 h, 13 m ago

I bought most on Amazon to be honest. Only intended in getting the X370 …I bought most on Amazon to be honest. Only intended in getting the X370 Prime, 1700 and DDR4 ram.Ended up buying new case, PSU and recycled some drives and OS. RX580 is on back order.Not so good on Ryzen front. After checking everything else I have a faulty MB.Though turned out my 1700 was too. Though that might have been the MBs fault. Should get new MB tomorrow.Don't let that put you off though I still intending on completing my build. Also explains why I used Amazon, so easy to process DOA returns

Yeah that's a good point. I've never had a problem with Amazon customer service. Thanks for the info and hope your build goes well.
You know you don't need as much spec as you think you do to edit 4k.
Most programs now do the editing in a lower resolution but it still exports at the same 4k.
Original Poster
stefromuk4 h, 24 m ago

You know you don't need as much spec as you think you do to edit 4k.Most …You know you don't need as much spec as you think you do to edit 4k.Most programs now do the editing in a lower resolution but it still exports at the same 4k.

Really? I just assumed 4k was very resource heavy. I've seen plenty of videos on YouTube and a lot of people seem to suggest decent rigs.

I'mways happy to save some money. I'll look into some lower spec components too. Thanks
Edited by: "MrDB" 5th Sep 2017
A pre-built shouldn't really ever be cheaper than a self build other that at the budget end. You don't need such a good graphics card, it's seriously wasted, you're unlikely to notice a difference between a 1060 vs 1080 other than export time and only some software even supports the GPU for encoding, some only do it for real time effects on heavy stuff and as mentioned most will do that at a lower res.
Original Poster
dcx_badass22 m ago

A pre-built shouldn't really ever be cheaper than a self build other that …A pre-built shouldn't really ever be cheaper than a self build other that at the budget end. You don't need such a good graphics card, it's seriously wasted, you're unlikely to notice a difference between a 1060 vs 1080 other than export time and only some software even supports the GPU for encoding, some only do it for real time effects on heavy stuff and as mentioned most will do that at a lower res.

This is sounding good. So I can save a bit of money then on the GPU. Hopefully it won't result in long encode times but then again, there's no real rush.
I'm going of what my sons told me in the past.
He's done a 3 year degree in film & media production and the 2 main programs he uses were avid and Final cut and both of them worked in that way as he even did a bit of editing on my naff 10 year old laptop.
Maybe it's a setting for it I'd have to ask
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions