4k gaming monitor for PS5 - is it worth it? any recommendations?

Posted 15th Dec 2021 (Posted 20 h, 20 m ago)
My son has a PS5, but is considering changing to a PC at some point in the future for gaming.

Currently, he seems to play fortnight and not many other games online.

Currently, he uses a 9 year old 55 inch Sony TV

He is asking for a gaming monitor.

What size would you recommend?

Are there any models you would recommend?

Is it worth while paying for a 4K instead of QHD??

What are the advantages of getting a monitor instead of a tv ???

All advice gratefully received.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
8 Comments
  1. Avatar
    Size wise of the screen depends on how far from the screen he sits and you'd probably be better getting one with a higher refresh rate rather than 4k, unless you can get both for a decent price.

I'm not fully clued up on it myself but i've been keeping a close eye on some of the threads on here as i'm after a monitor at some point for my ps5.
  2. Avatar
    Wow. This is the ultimate question! Very difficult to answer, and a lot of different people will give a lot of different answers or opinions. Generally it used to be if you played casually on a console then buy a TV or if you're more competitive-minded then go for a gaming monitor. Next-gen consoles are changing that opinion now. The short answer is monitor over TV. And go deep into those pockets for high-end panels.

I'm not sure what advice to give, maybe replace the TV with a similar size but higher specs? Only playing Fortnight casually or socially doesn't sound like I'd advise dropping more money on a monitor than you paid for the consoles.
  3. Avatar
    LG C1 its a tv but best match for a console imho
  4. Avatar
    There are gaming monitors you could look at, and credit to sck451 @ PCS Forums:

1080p options
    AOC 24G2U (£159.97)
    amazon.co.uk/dp/…LVH

BenQ XL2546K (£419) (this is for the super-able competitive gamers only)
    amazon.co.uk/dp/…CB7

1440p options
    Gigabyte M27Q (£289.99)
    Buy GIGABYTE M27Q Quad HD 27" IPS Gaming Monitor - Black | Free Delivery | Currys

Dell S2721DGF (£299)
    Buy DELL S2721DGFA Quad HD 27” LCD Gaming Monitor - Silver | Free Delivery | Currys

MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD (£399)
    Buy MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD Quad HD 27" IPS Gaming Monitor - Black | Free Delivery | Currys

Samsung G7 (£499)
    Buy SAMSUNG Odyssey G75 LC27G75TQSUXEN Quad HD 27" Curved QLED Gaming Monitor - Black | Free Delivery | Currys

4k options
    Gigabyte M28U (£659.99)
    Buy GIGABYTE M28U 4K Ultra HD 28" IPS Gaming Monitor - Black | Free Delivery | Currys

There are no 32" 4K monitors recommended that are in stock in the UK; only option seems to be FI32U (£873.87)
    AORUS 31.5 Inch FI32U 4K 144Hz Freesync Gaming Monitor - TECHNEXTDAY

Ultrawide options
    Gigabyte G34WQC (£439)
    Buy GIGABYTE G34WQC Wide Quad HD 34" Curved VA Gaming Monitor - Black | Free Delivery | Currys

AOC CU34G2X/BK (439)
    amazon.co.uk/dp/…h=1

Samsung G9 (currently £999)

Or buy a new TV
  5. Avatar
    Simple answer unless you going to spend £1800-2000 on a gaming pc you won’t get a good 4k gaming experience and better off with the console. If he wants a 4k monitor for ps5 why not just get him one, you will still be able to use for pc even if not at 4k..
  6. Avatar
    sykoactiv8d15/12/2021 13:09

There are gaming monitors you could look at, and credit to sck451 @ PCS …There are gaming monitors you could look at, and credit to sck451 @ PCS Forums:1080p optionsAOC 24G2U (£159.97)https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Y3RYLVHBenQ XL2546K (£419) (this is for the super-able competitive gamers only)https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08HJ2VCB71440p optionsGigabyte M27Q (£289.99)Buy GIGABYTE M27Q Quad HD 27" IPS Gaming Monitor - Black | Free Delivery | CurrysDell S2721DGF (£299)Buy DELL S2721DGFA Quad HD 27” LCD Gaming Monitor - Silver | Free Delivery | CurrysMSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD (£399)Buy MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD Quad HD 27" IPS Gaming Monitor - Black | Free Delivery | CurrysSamsung G7 (£499)Buy SAMSUNG Odyssey G75 LC27G75TQSUXEN Quad HD 27" Curved QLED Gaming Monitor - Black | Free Delivery | Currys4k optionsGigabyte M28U (£659.99)Buy GIGABYTE M28U 4K Ultra HD 28" IPS Gaming Monitor - Black | Free Delivery | CurrysThere are no 32" 4K monitors recommended that are in stock in the UK; only option seems to be FI32U (£873.87)AORUS 31.5 Inch FI32U 4K 144Hz Freesync Gaming Monitor - TECHNEXTDAYUltrawide optionsGigabyte G34WQC (£439)Buy GIGABYTE G34WQC Wide Quad HD 34" Curved VA Gaming Monitor - Black | Free Delivery | CurrysAOC CU34G2X/BK (439)https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082VHT11B?th=1Samsung G9 (currently £999)Or buy a new TV

£898 LG CX55” oled 120fps through hdmi 2.1 win win…
  7. Avatar
    There is little to no point upgrading to a 4k monitor for a PS5 as the draw distance can't be increased from within Fortnite, therefore any advantage a 4k screen would have in that game is negated. Also Fortnite on the PS5 is locked to 60fps @ 4k, therefore the game may not be as responsive as he is used to playing (It'll be running the smoother 120fps at lower resolution).
    A 4k screen for the other things that a PS5 can do is a different discussion.

What are the advantages of getting a monitor instead of a tv - Monitors usually have lower input lag, higher refresh rates and faster response time than TVs, this can give you a competitive advantage on a gaming PC as you can tweak the settings and improve the draw distance. On the PS5 it has a fixed draw distance (there is a slider to change it within Fortnite, but you can't increase it to take advantage of the higher resolution of a 4k monitor)

I made the switch to 4k when my main TV popped it's clogs. My Xbox One X gameplay doesn't look any different between the screens (the only difference I can see is in the CoD lobby - the characters always appears appear - on my Xbox One the characters sometimes didn't load in fully or had the low res mapping)
  8. Avatar
    As a competitive gamer. He will want a higher refresh rate rather than 4k. People turn down grapogvs settings to get more frames on Fortnite to see the action before the enemy does. A 144 Hz 1080p or 1440p monitor would be better.but I am not sure if pa5 does the latter (144hz do 120hz too usually but not sure ps5 does 1440p)
    TVs have more input lag than a monitor. So get a high speed monitor instead
Post a comment
Top Merchants