Groups

4k HDMI cable advice.

Can anyone advise me of the best HDMI cable for a 4K tv - I'm told it should be a gold one ( 27 GBPS ).

Thanks in advance.

19 Comments

Pay no attention.
    If it's digital, it just has to be 4K

Original Poster

nacho99

Pay no attention.If it's digital, it just has to be 4K

So I should just continue to use a normal HDMI cable then ?

Banned

It should cost a minimum of £80 to be decent, currys have a good range, ask a sales person they are very knowledgable.

JR Hartley

So I should just continue to use a normal HDMI cable then ?

All 4K signals are digital.
    Digital does not care if it's gold, copper or any other metal.
    Try it and you will see.

Musician

It should cost a minimum of £80 to be decent, currys have a good range, … It should cost a minimum of £80 to be decent, currys have a good range, ask a sales person they are very knowledgable.

lol, best joke I've heard so far...

I'll try it on a cheaper 1.4a and then upgrade to an ebay hdmi 2.0 cable when they come out. You only tend to need better cables for longer distances.

Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice

Just to point out. Any 1.4a cable supports 2.0, the standard didn't change the cable.

Pound shops now sell them, as has been noted above they all work the same. Hard to believe i know, but it's true. Who told you that you needed a gold one? If it was a sales assistant, that shop needs to be named and shamed!

Here's a bit off Watchdog about it - youtube.com/wat…V4g

No doubt the HDMI Socket on the TV is nickel plated, so a gold plated cable would be a mismatch of metals.

kester76

I'll try it on a cheaper 1.4a and then upgrade to an ebay hdmi 2.0 cable … I'll try it on a cheaper 1.4a and then upgrade to an ebay hdmi 2.0 cable when they come out. You only tend to need better cables for longer distances.

There's no such thing as a HDMI 2.0 cable, they're all the same. HDMI is HDMI, the version is dependant on the source it's plugged into such as the TV or monitor.

GoatzRus

There's no such thing as a HDMI 2.0 cable, they're all the same. HDMI is … There's no such thing as a HDMI 2.0 cable, they're all the same. HDMI is HDMI, the version is dependant on the source it's plugged into such as the TV or monitor.

Not true. 1.4 introduced the Ethernet channel which doesn't exist in the 1.3 cable revisions. 1.4 and 2.0 use the same cables.

Edited by: "rev6" 27th Dec 2014

GoatzRus

There's no such thing as a HDMI 2.0 cable, they're all the same. HDMI is … There's no such thing as a HDMI 2.0 cable, they're all the same. HDMI is HDMI, the version is dependant on the source it's plugged into such as the TV or monitor.

yep pretty much, see http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/hdmi-2-0-vs-1-4
    In reality you can't assume this so much. As an example Cat 6 CCA cable is rated for Gigabit but pretty much does a very poor job of it so it's hit or miss. Cat 5e pure copper does alot better job.
    Tie in cable length and signal loss then you might have a problem with a shoddy hdmi 1.4 cable, hence try 1.4 and then upgrade to a better rated cable if required.

kester76

yep pretty much, see … yep pretty much, see http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/hdmi-2-0-vs-1-4In reality you can't assume this so much. As an example Cat 6 CCA cable is rated for Gigabit but pretty much does a very poor job of it so it's hit or miss. Cat 5e pure copper does alot better job. Tie in cable length and signal loss then you might have a problem with a shoddy hdmi 1.4 cable, hence try 1.4 and then upgrade to a better rated cable if required.

You are mistaking HDMI revision with cable revisions.

I used to work in a leading electronics store, and I can tell you there is no different in HDMI cables that they sold for £50 to the ones you can get in a pound store except the length, I used to want to go in a corner and scream every time someone paid over the odds for these expensive HDMI cables but I couldn't tell them to go to a pound store or I'd face disciplinary action!

rev6

You are mistaking HDMI revision with cable revisions.

Lol, sorry I mean the cable tested rating. Most cables exceed their specification by a reasonable margin but some barely hit the target. I can remember the older cheap so called hdmi 1.3 rated cables that couldn't handle deep color
    Edited by: "kester76" 27th Dec 2014

Go and look on amazon

Original Poster

dealpickle

Pound shops now sell them, as has been noted above they all work the … Pound shops now sell them, as has been noted above they all work the same. Hard to believe i know, but it's true. Who told you that you needed a gold one? If it was a sales assistant, that shop needs to be named and shamed!Here's a bit off Watchdog about it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaNAFeOfV4g

I like it. Thanks.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767173
      2. Toys R Us may soon be Toys No More - USA possibly filing for Bankruptcy2527
      3. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1946
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423514458

See more discussions