4K lead

Found 14th Mar
Hi have a 4k tv but at present it’s not playing 4k files. What HDMI cable do I need to buy so that I can watch 4K movies on it ?

Cheers as always
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
27 Comments
Original Poster
redbutcher36 m ago

I've always used tv cables and they work …I've always used tv cables and they work great.https://www.tvcables.co.uk/hdmi-hdmi-cable-1m.html

Cheers it’ll play 4k?? Any on eBay you know of ??
HDMI 2.0 cable can handle 4K at 50-60 frames per second v1.4 can only handle 24 frames/ second. Google is your friend....
Original Poster
Bigfootpete28 m ago

HDMI 2.0 cable can handle 4K at 50-60 frames per second v1.4 can only …HDMI 2.0 cable can handle 4K at 50-60 frames per second v1.4 can only handle 24 frames/ second. Google is your friend....

How’s do I know how many frames mine is ?
Bigfootpete51 m ago

HDMI 2.0 cable can handle 4K at 50-60 frames per second v1.4 can only …HDMI 2.0 cable can handle 4K at 50-60 frames per second v1.4 can only handle 24 frames/ second. Google is your friend....

But the version numbers are applied to devices. Cable ratings are different and involve categories like standard speed and high speed.

@steveo73: Most existing HDMI cables should handle it. What device are you trying to play from? It's more likely that the playback device can't handle the files than the cable being the problem.
As mentioned you need to use HDMI 2.0 cable. However, you need to check that your TV supports HDMI 2.0.

HDMI 1.4 only supports 4K at 24Hz.
Rabmac136 m ago

As mentioned you need to use HDMI 2.0 cable

As mentioned there's no such thing. HDMI 2.0 is a device standard, not a cable standard. Cables certified by the HDMI standards body are even explicitly banned from advertising a version number:
hdmi.org/lea…spx
EndlessWaves6 m ago

As mentioned there's no such thing. HDMI 2.0 is a device standard, not a …As mentioned there's no such thing. HDMI 2.0 is a device standard, not a cable standard. Cables certified by the HDMI standards body are even explicitly banned from advertising a version number:https://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/trademark_logo_pub.aspx

I had assumed that the standard speed HDMI cable was for HDMI 1.4 and the high speed HDMI cable was needed for HDMI 2.0.
Original Poster
Cheers so what do I need to buy anything on eBay ??
steveo732 h, 10 m ago

How’s do I know how many frames mine is ?

What are you running your 4k content from?
Original Poster
Mag box
Original Poster
kos1c8 m ago

What are you running your 4k content from?

Mag box
steveo7322 m ago

Mag box

I've never used one. But you've checked settings and switched it to send out a 4k signal?
I had an android box that didn't automatically switch up to the right resolution output.

Most cables should give a 4k signal at either 30fps or 60fps, so you should be getting 4k picture either way.

The content you're running definitely 4k?
Original Poster
Apparently Yh tbh I bought HDMI from Poundland so prob crap
steveo7333 m ago

Mag box

Not all mag boxes support 4k. Probably best if you list the model number and specs to confirm if it's 4k capable. I would start with the link below and see if you can find out the model number.
infomir.eu/eng…tb/

Also check that the stream or media you're using is 4K.
Original Poster
Ok it says it is can hear volume just no pic
steveo7314th Mar

Apparently Yh tbh I bought HDMI from Poundland so prob crap

I use poundland HDMI cables from a 4k Roku box, 4k Freeview box and PS4 Pro...no issues with 4k content whatsoever.

I'd hazard a guess it's more likely an issue with the source device you are outputting 4k from.
Rabmac116 h, 34 m ago

I had assumed that the standard speed HDMI cable was for HDMI 1.4 and the …I had assumed that the standard speed HDMI cable was for HDMI 1.4 and the high speed HDMI cable was needed for HDMI 2.0.

No, standard speed was for 720p HD but never got used much. The high speed specs apply to both Full HD and 4K but some of the earlier cables apparently had some technical issues with 4K so they created a new certification (premium high speed) to test explicitly for 4K, although not that many cables have been put though it.

What length of cable if it? Higher resolutions will only work on shorter cables, 5m or less is usually a safe bet
Original Poster
EndlessWaves3 h, 16 m ago

No, standard speed was for 720p HD but never got used much. The high speed …No, standard speed was for 720p HD but never got used much. The high speed specs apply to both Full HD and 4K but some of the earlier cables apparently had some technical issues with 4K so they created a new certification (premium high speed) to test explicitly for 4K, although not that many cables have been put though it.What length of cable if it? Higher resolutions will only work on shorter cables, 5m or less is usually a safe bet

Looking for 2m max are there any on eBay ??
Original Poster
Uridium14 h, 24 m ago

I use poundland HDMI cables from a 4k Roku box, 4k Freeview box and PS4 …I use poundland HDMI cables from a 4k Roku box, 4k Freeview box and PS4 Pro...no issues with 4k content whatsoever.I'd hazard a guess it's more likely an issue with the source device you are outputting 4k from.

Yh poss box don’t do 4k it’s mag 254
steveo731 h, 23 m ago

Yh poss box don’t do 4k it’s mag 254

That box is 1080p tops. Hence why I posted the link.
That page makes no mention of 3840x2160 output support, and also doesn't mention the HEVC or VP9 video formats that most 4K video uses.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 15th Mar
You need a MAG 351 or higher to get 4K support.
Original Poster
kester762 h, 40 m ago

Thanks
Original Poster
kester763 h, 45 m ago

Cheers
EndlessWaves15th Mar

No, standard speed was for 720p HD but never got used much. The high speed …No, standard speed was for 720p HD but never got used much. The high speed specs apply to both Full HD and 4K but some of the earlier cables apparently had some technical issues with 4K so they created a new certification (premium high speed) to test explicitly for 4K, although not that many cables have been put though it.What length of cable if it? Higher resolutions will only work on shorter cables, 5m or less is usually a safe bet

Thanks for that, always good to learn something new.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants