4k or 1080p?

Found 22nd Feb
I need a new tv for the bedroom.
Maximum size that can fit is 40 inch
Viewing distance is about 10 feet

I'm not sure it's worth getting a 4k tv at this size/distance.
On the other hand, 1080p televisions aren't that much cheaper than the cheapest Samsung 4k.

Don't want to spend more than about £350 as it's just for the bedroom.
I currently get 4k content via Netflix

So should I go 4k or 1080p?
Anyone have a view on this?
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Depending on your budget i would get a 4k. Whilst you may not use its full potential at present it will be there for when and if you do.

I love my 4k tv, but was annoyed to learn it would soon be "superceded" by the newer 8k televesions starting to roll out.
You will not be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 4k at that distance. What you might miss out on with a 1080p set is features such as hdr which makes a big difference.

For me it would depend on your budget. Cheaper and I’d go 1080p more expensive 4k.

I love my 4k oled but it was a big expense.
Budget is about £350. Certainly no more than
£400.
Cannot be larger than 40 inches
4k and you will see notice the difference
Go for 1080p, like many said you can good a distanst and screen size to see if you will see difference and you wont plus there is no point buying and waiting till it can play 4k because most cheap 4k tvs are not proper 60hz 4k anyway, and till we actually get 4k tv channels will be the tme your looking for a new tv anyway (5 years)
To be specific about resolution: you will not notice the resolution benefit of 4k over 1080p on a 40" TV unless you are kneecapping yourself on the TVs stand by using it as a near-field monitor; certainly no benefit from your stated viewing distance of 10ft. There may be other benefits associated with a 4k TV but resolution will not be one of them. Probably best to compare features and picture quality rather than resolution for your stated application.
The easiest way to find out, is to take a tape measure to a TV shop.
If you're going with someone else and there aren't any 40" TV's on display, get them to stand in front of a larger screen and block off the "extra".
Then measure out your 10' distance.

Ideally you want to take your own media with you on a flash drive. As they usually just show HD CGI content to give the impression of sharpness and saturation.
Terracore22nd Feb

Depending on your budget i would get a 4k. Whilst you may not use its full …Depending on your budget i would get a 4k. Whilst you may not use its full potential at present it will be there for when and if you do.I love my 4k tv, but was annoyed to learn it would soon be "superceded" by the newer 8k televesions starting to roll out.

8K? If we've waited this long for 4K content I certainly won't be rushing out to get a 8K
Terracore22nd Feb

Depending on your budget i would get a 4k. Whilst you may not use its full …Depending on your budget i would get a 4k. Whilst you may not use its full potential at present it will be there for when and if you do.I love my 4k tv, but was annoyed to learn it would soon be "superceded" by the newer 8k televesions starting to roll out.

8k won’t be for atleast ten years.. yes it’s coming along and some tv manufacturer showcases it. but 4K isn’t even mainstream yet so there’s no chance 8k will take off for a decade
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants