4k signal from pc

Found 21st May
Hi guys

my ue75mu8000 will be delivered today.
I need a cheap board for movies mostly. No games or VR.

is anyone using their pcs to play 4k hdr movies on their tv?

which video cards do you use?
also, are you using your hdmi or your display port as an output from your video cards? (My tv will only have hdmi inputs I believe)

thanks for your time
Community Updates
AskElectronicsPC4K TV
23 Comments
I bought a MSI NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB just before Christmas and was a little concerned it would not be up to the job but it has been really good. I tend to DL 30Gb blueray and stream to my LG OLED, there have been just one or two it didn't like. You can usually play everything with the VLC although occasionally I had to use PowerDVD(I think). I am using HDMI although I understand that DP to HDMI is the same. My issue is Atmos to my Denon, I sometimes get DTS but never Atmos.
johnro30 m ago

i'm thinking of going with this one:Radeon™ RX460 WINDFORCE OC 2G

I have the 4GB version of that card if you'd like me to test anything in terms of playback, although I don't have a 3840x2160 HDR screen to connect it to.
Original Poster
thanks but i'm looking on getting it tested for 4096x2160 @60 Hz

if anyone could tell me if it's hard/expensive to get to that resolution that will be great

right now i have this card (no hdmi output, just DVI)

Asus EAH4550
Edited by: "johnro" 21st May
Your new TV is 3840x2160.

4096x2160 is the digital cinema resolution. There are a couple of monitors at that resolution for video editing but no TVs.

It will output the resolution fine as it explicitly says so. Any gotchas will be in things like 10-bit HEVC playback or HDCP2.2/Playready 3.0 support, although as far as I know they're both now supported.
Check out the nvidia shield
qwales5 h, 26 m ago

I bought a MSI NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB just before Christmas and was a …I bought a MSI NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB just before Christmas and was a little concerned it would not be up to the job but it has been really good. I tend to DL 30Gb blueray and stream to my LG OLED, there have been just one or two it didn't like. You can usually play everything with the VLC although occasionally I had to use PowerDVD(I think). I am using HDMI although I understand that DP to HDMI is the same. My issue is Atmos to my Denon, I sometimes get DTS but never Atmos.

Your issue with Atmos could be either the rip you have has had the DTS/DD Core extracted due to Cinavia copy protection or your output isn't quite setup.

I'd check to make sure that your EDID is stable by going into sounds and then playback. Clicking on your TV and it's properties to see if it lists all your AMP audio profiles i.e. DTS Master HD, Dolby TrueHD, Atmos etc. Your TV will support DTS natively so it might default to the audio profile of your TV and not your AMP.

Another thing is to check that you've selected Bitstream as and output so you're not decoding it on the PC but letting the AMP do it.

Hope this helps
OP this will all depend on what PC/PSU you're currently using as the GT 1030 is the best solution for a low powered system like a N54L Microserver but the RX 460 is more powerful but uses a lot more power.
kester7632 m ago

Your issue with Atmos could be either the rip you have has had the DTS/DD …Your issue with Atmos could be either the rip you have has had the DTS/DD Core extracted due to Cinavia copy protection or your output isn't quite setup. I'd check to make sure that your EDID is stable by going into sounds and then playback. Clicking on your TV and it's properties to see if it lists all your AMP audio profiles i.e. DTS Master HD, Dolby TrueHD, Atmos etc. Your TV will support DTS natively so it might default to the audio profile of your TV and not your AMP.Another thing is to check that you've selected Bitstream as and output so you're not decoding it on the PC but letting the AMP do it.Hope this helps

Thanks, I've tried everything including trying to install the Dolby Atmos for Pc, setting up Plex, installing PowerDVD amongst others, setting up bitstream output where possible. Like I said, I do get DTS sometimes so it's not all bad.
qwales18 m ago

Thanks, I've tried everything including trying to install the Dolby Atmos …Thanks, I've tried everything including trying to install the Dolby Atmos for Pc, setting up Plex, installing PowerDVD amongst others, setting up bitstream output where possible. Like I said, I do get DTS sometimes so it's not all bad.

You need to check the EDID as sometimes the handshake screws up and gives out all sort of weird info. I had to capture the EDID for my AMP and TV and make my own EDID override to get DTS Master HD on my AMP. Should be easier to do now as it's more common.

Have you tried KODI as that plays back 1080p fine but I've never tried pushing 4K out.
kester7646 m ago

OP this will all depend on what PC/PSU you're currently using as the GT …OP this will all depend on what PC/PSU you're currently using as the GT 1030 is the best solution for a low powered system like a N54L Microserver but the RX 460 is more powerful but uses a lot more power.

A lot is overstating it. Computerbase found the 460 used 33W for video playback while the GT 1030 used 17W. The gap while gaming opened up to 40W, although I'd expect that to be with both running at full speed, it'd be smaller if they were asked to deliver equal frame rates.
computerbase.de/201…/4/

There aren't many cases that'll fit a full sized graphics card where even 40W is going to make much difference.
kester761 h, 22 m ago

You need to check the EDID as sometimes the handshake screws up and gives …You need to check the EDID as sometimes the handshake screws up and gives out all sort of weird info. I had to capture the EDID for my AMP and TV and make my own EDID override to get DTS Master HD on my AMP. Should be easier to do now as it's more common.Have you tried KODI as that plays back 1080p fine but I've never tried pushing 4K out.

I'll Google EDID when I get 5 thanks. I tried Kodi and set it up to bitstream but never got a Atmos signal and these days there's so little good quality stuff on their and links are so bad that I don't really use it now.
Original Poster
kester763 h, 39 m ago

OP this will all depend on what PC/PSU you're currently using as the GT …OP this will all depend on what PC/PSU you're currently using as the GT 1030 is the best solution for a low powered system like a N54L Microserver but the RX 460 is more powerful but uses a lot more power.

I have a Hi-Power Black 1000W Modular 13.5cm Fan PSU - 4x PCI-E, 20+4pin, 6x SATA

Guess I'll be okay with the power requirements

What s annoying with this tv is that it only has hdmi inputs and no audio ones....
Hope mine will play over hdmi
HDMI Audio support has been standard for almost a decade now.
EndlessWaves6 h, 28 m ago

A lot is overstating it. Computerbase found the 460 used 33W for video …A lot is overstating it. Computerbase found the 460 used 33W for video playback while the GT 1030 used 17W. The gap while gaming opened up to 40W, although I'd expect that to be with both running at full speed, it'd be smaller if they were asked to deliver equal frame rates.https://www.computerbase.de/2017-05/geforce-gt-1030-radeon-rx-550-test/4/There aren't many cases that'll fit a full sized graphics card where even 40W is going to make much difference.

Sorry I just went off the max Wattage under load
johnro3 h, 53 m ago

I have a Hi-Power Black 1000W Modular 13.5cm Fan PSU - 4x PCI-E, 20+4pin, …I have a Hi-Power Black 1000W Modular 13.5cm Fan PSU - 4x PCI-E, 20+4pin, 6x SATAGuess I'll be okay with the power requirements What s annoying with this tv is that it only has hdmi inputs and no audio ones....Hope mine will play over hdmi

If you have a 1000W don't you have a GPU/CPU that can do 4k@60Hz output already ? Pretty sure my i7 8700k will do this through the display port on my motherboard.
Original Poster
I just got a 4k tv today

And my card does only 1080p. Must be the cable. Card can do 4k by the looks of it....
johnro9 h, 43 m ago

I just got a 4k tv todayAnd my card does only 1080p. Must be the cable. …I just got a 4k tv todayAnd my card does only 1080p. Must be the cable. Card can do 4k by the looks of it....

Most cards will output 4k through display port but older card mostly won't do 4k@60Hz on HDMI if they don't support HDMI 2.0
johnro11 h, 27 m ago

I just got a 4k tv todayAnd my card does only 1080p. Must be the cable. …I just got a 4k tv todayAnd my card does only 1080p. Must be the cable. Card can do 4k by the looks of it....

It's unlikely to be a cable unless it's a long one (over 7m). The cable spec hasn't changed but the higher bandwidth required only works at shorter lengths.
Check out the new GeForce GTX 1050 3GB, apparently prices are about to be or already have been lowered
Original Poster
EndlessWaves21st May

Your new TV is 3840x2160.4096x2160 is the digital cinema resolution. There …Your new TV is 3840x2160.4096x2160 is the digital cinema resolution. There are a couple of monitors at that resolution for video editing but no TVs.It will output the resolution fine as it explicitly says so. Any gotchas will be in things like 10-bit HEVC playback or HDCP2.2/Playready 3.0 support, although as far as I know they're both now supported.

And yet again , here I am

33865145-fBcQ0.jpg

33865145-RmQTT.jpg

33865145-MP4gT.jpg
johnro13 h, 4 m ago

And yet again , here I am[Image] [Image] [Image]

That just shows it'll accept a 4096x2160 signal, not that it's actually displaying at that resolution. Samsung's website states that it's 3840x2160
samsung.com/uk/…XU/
Original Poster
yeah, i read the panel display after you first posted and it's correnct. 3840x2160 max

but it's strange though. every time i'm changing resolutions on my pc, the TV displays that resolution not the maximum 4096 one
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions