4K TV Advice.

Found 17th Dec 2017
Looking at this sony 4K Television from curry’s. I keep reading about not full 4K and to check for 10bit panel instead of 8(+2). On their website it doesn’t tell me. Is this full 4K or not? Also is the 10bit statement true. Any help cheers.
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
10bit and 8 bit + FRC has nothing to do with a panel being 4K or not. That tv is 4K due to the number of pixels it has. Some TVs have their pixels arranged in a RGBW format red, green, blue, white instead of the usual RGB. If a 4K tv is RGBW it doesn't have as many blue pixels for example as a normal 4K tv. LGs 600 series tvs are RGBW.

10 bit tvs can display 1024 shades of a colour, 8 bit tvs can display 256 shades and 8 bit + FRC tvs make an attempt at displaying 1024 shades. 8 bit for example can display Shade 0, Shade 4, Shade 8, etc, but not 1,2,3,5,6,7 etc. If the pixel is supposed to display shade 401, but the panel can only produce 400 and 404, what it does is rapidly shift the pixel between 400 and 404.

That TV is a great tv due to FALD and is most certainly a 4K set with full 10bit colour.
Thank you. Think I understand. Pixels is what determines 4K? 10bit or 8bit is colour related. So this TV is 8(+2) but is true 4K. Will the colours be great in 4K format? I’m looking at Sony because the whole set up is Sony and want to try and stick with it.
MIDURIX1 h, 14 m ago

10bit and 8 bit + FRC has nothing to do with a panel being 4K or not. That …10bit and 8 bit + FRC has nothing to do with a panel being 4K or not. That tv is 4K due to the number of pixels it has. Some TVs have their pixels arranged in a RGBW format red, green, blue, white instead of the usual RGB. If a 4K tv is RGBW it doesn't have as many blue pixels for example as a normal 4K tv. LGs 600 series tvs are RGBW.

RGBW just means it has subpixels in four colours (Red, Blue, Green and White) instead of the usual three (Red, Green and Blue). In some TVs the white subpixels are in addition, and in others they replace some of the existing subpixels.

4K is defined by the number of pixels rather than the number of subpixels, so whether these repurposed subpixel TVs are true 4K or not will be a debate that'll rumble on for as long as the technology is in use. From a more practical perspective tests have shown no noticeable difference in detail next to TVs using the conventional layout.
MIDURIX1 h, 14 m ago

10 bit tvs can display 1024 shades of a colour, 8 bit tvs can display 256 …10 bit tvs can display 1024 shades of a colour, 8 bit tvs can display 256 shades and 8 bit + FRC tvs make an attempt at displaying 1024 shades. 8 bit for example can display Shade 0, Shade 4, Shade 8, etc, but not 1,2,3,5,6,7 etc. If the pixel is supposed to display shade 401, but the panel can only produce 400 and 404, what it does is rapidly shift the pixel between 400 and 404.That TV is a great tv due to FALD and is most certainly a 4K set with full 10bit colour.

When you don't change anything else higher bit depth just means smaller changes between similar shades and less change to notice visible steps in a colour gradient that should be continuous. It doesn't change the overall colours on screen in any way.

It's also very rare to feed content to a TV that'll ask for the extra shades to be displayed. That sort of 10-bit SDR is primarily used on computers for image and video editing. A 10-bit panel as used by some of the high end TVs isn't there for directly reproducing a 10-bit picture but to help with things like calibration.
stevieste231 h, 18 m ago

Thank you. Think I understand. Pixels is what determines 4K? 10bit or 8bit …Thank you. Think I understand. Pixels is what determines 4K? 10bit or 8bit is colour related. So this TV is 8(+2) but is true 4K. Will the colours be great in 4K format? I’m looking at Sony because the whole set up is Sony and want to try and stick with it.

Yep 4000 horizonal pixels. The TV is 10bit, not 8+2. Yeah that TV gets good reviews, think it's been on here a bit cheaper recently tho.
Nb avoid curry’s and get John Lewis 5 year or richer sounds 6 year warranty
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants