4K TV Advice

Posted 5th Mar
Short Version:
Please help me choose from the following 4 TVs.

1. LG OLED65B9PLA, no additional cost.
2. LG 75UM71100PLB, extra £10.
3. Samsung QE65Q60RA, extra £10
4. SAMSUNG QE75Q70R, extra £435.

Details
My LG OLED65E6V, purchased March 2017 for £3249, has screen burn. Under the extended warranty from Domestic & General, the TV has been declared as unable to be repaired. I've been offered the above replacement options. I would be grateful for your thoughts.

I don't know if I ought push back to try to get a better deal, or what!

Do I need to factor-in a sound bar or anything else?

TV Use Cases
A family TV which allows us to view mostly Sky Q, some movies from a PC, the following content:
  • Sport: soccer, rugby, cricket, ...: 65%
  • Box sets/movies: 15%
  • News, documentaries, quiz shows, soaps: the remainder.
  • Gaming use: none.
  • I've used the 3D for <5 movies, but would be disappointed to lose the facility.
  • I have VirginMedia cable TV but hardly use it, the bundle was a better deal than solely broadband.
  • The TV room is 24' x 17', so a 75" screen is not too big.

All advice welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks to all for your comments.

I requested the 'E9 be added as an option at no further cost and happily this was granted, so I've plumped for this. Delivery of a "OLED65E9PLA Silver" due Thursday 19-Mar-2020.
Community Updates

Groups

19 Comments
1st
I would take the LG B9 although I would ask if you can pay extra for a C9 and how much it would be.

Going to an LCD after you have had an OLED for 3 years will seem like a step backwards IMO.
Interesting. There are people on here who insist OLED don't burn etc... Thanks for clearing that up.

Personally, I would try and get the OLED65E9 as you already had a previous E model. State you want like for like etc...

What sort of screen burn was it. Has it been caused by news tickers etc? IF so, you may wish to avoid OLED as it could happen again in a few years.

However, if you are comfortable with the risk (newer versions should have less burn risk) then I would go OLED.

The LG can be bought for about £850. The OLED is worth double that.
You could go for Samsung QLED if you like but you are paying extra on top for a worse TV. They are asking for extra for QE65Q60RA even though it is £1100 at John Lewis.
The OLED65B9PLA is £1700 so get that even if you sell on and buy another TV all over again with a new 5 year warranty (may be worth it).
Edited by: "smashed" 5th Mar
Go for number 4 but demand no money on top. Otherwise demand a full refund
"Soccer".........
smashed05/03/2020 13:20

Interesting. There are people on here who insist OLED don't burn etc... …Interesting. There are people on here who insist OLED don't burn etc... Thanks for clearing that up.Personally, I would try and get the OLED65E9 as you already had a previous E model. State you want like for like etc...What sort of screen burn was it. Has it been caused by news tickers etc? IF so, you may wish to avoid OLED as it could happen again in a few years. However, if you are comfortable with the risk (newer versions should have less burn risk) then I would go OLED.The LG can be bought for about £850. The OLED is worth double that.You could go for Samsung QLED if you like but you are paying extra on top for a worse TV. They are asking for extra for QE65Q60RA even though it is £1100 at John Lewis.The OLED65B9PLA is £1700 so get that even if you sell on and buy another TV all over again with a new 5 year warranty (may be worth it).

The 6 series was far more prone to burn in compared to the 9 series, I doubt anyone is saying it never was an issue but LG have made many advances to reduce it happening - It's certainly far less of a worry now if you leave all burn in protection switched on.

I'm actually surprised burn in was covered as this is normally excluded from extended warrantys.
Edited by: "Gormond" 5th Mar
Gormond05/03/2020 13:26

The 6 series was far more prone to burn in compared to the 9 series, I …The 6 series was far more prone to burn in compared to the 9 series, I doubt anyone is saying it never was an issue but LG have made many advances to reduce it happening - It's certainly far less of a worry now if you leave all burn in protection switched on.

I agree though as with all ticking time bombs you won't know until you wait.
If you have had it previously it suggests your (the OP) viewing habits may be a contributing factor.

I bought a 65B8 but opted for the Costco 5 year warranty just in case
smashed05/03/2020 13:29

I bought a 65B8 but opted for the Costco 5 year warranty just in case

Sadly that won't cover burn in, nor does the warranty from RS or JL.
Edited by: "Gormond" 5th Mar
Gormond05/03/2020 13:32

Costco have an amazing no quibble warranty. You can pretty much drop it on the counter and get your refund.
Gormond05/03/2020 13:32

Having said that, I am now a little paranoid I have emailed them for a copy of the terms.
smashed05/03/2020 13:56

Having said that, I am now a little paranoid I have emailed them for a …Having said that, I am now a little paranoid I have emailed them for a copy of the terms.

Yes sadly it's normally classed as a known defect with the technology rather than a fault.
Gormond05/03/2020 14:11

Yes sadly it's normally classed as a known defect with the technology …Yes sadly it's normally classed as a known defect with the technology rather than a fault.

Perfect, then they are admitting the fault was inherent at the time of purchase
smashed05/03/2020 14:12

Perfect, then they are admitting the fault was inherent at the time of …Perfect, then they are admitting the fault was inherent at the time of purchase

Not quite. They will view any screen burn as user error or misuse.

Personally I think it's absurd to say watching whatever you want for as long as you want on your tv is misuse. But that's what they will say.
I'd avoid another OLED using the same production process if you've got image retention after just three years. They've improved the process a bit, but probably not to the point where it'll be good for fifteen years under the same load that caused issues in three.

I'm surprised you went for the E6 in the first place given your heavily sport-based viewing as LG TVs, especially the pre-BFI OLEDs, are generally not great for motion handling.

Given that only a small proportion of your viewing is going to benefit from HDR I wouldn't be too bothered about another high end TV and a top mid-range model such as a Q60R might suit you fine.

It is rather a step down from an E6 in terms of value but you'd have to see what your policy said about replacements, whether they're supposed to give you the market value of your current model in working condition or have some new for old or equivalently performing model policy.
I have the Q range from Samsung and will never get screen burn, which is essential as I use it for gaming and other PC related things.

Therefore to reduce the risk of the same thing happening again, get the Samsung QE65Q60RA.
Could you get a cash settlement instead?
A 65q60 shouldn’t be costing you anything extra if they are giving you a 65B9, it can be had for around the 1k mark.
I’d still go for the oled though, far superior than led and entry level QLED.
The q90 series from Samsung is the closest to oled at the moment, 65q90 can be had for under 2k.
smashed05/03/2020 13:20

Interesting. There are people on here who insist OLED don't burn etc... …Interesting. There are people on here who insist OLED don't burn etc... Thanks for clearing that up.Personally, I would try and get the OLED65E9 as you already had a previous E model. State you want like for like etc...What sort of screen burn was it. Has it been caused by news tickers etc? IF so, you may wish to avoid OLED as it could happen again in a few years. However, if you are comfortable with the risk (newer versions should have less burn risk) then I would go OLED.The LG can be bought for about £850. The OLED is worth double that.You could go for Samsung QLED if you like but you are paying extra on top for a worse TV. They are asking for extra for QE65Q60RA even though it is £1100 at John Lewis.The OLED65B9PLA is £1700 so get that even if you sell on and buy another TV all over again with a new 5 year warranty (may be worth it).

Thanks for your time and comments.

The persistent images were apparently left by:
- the Sky Q pause and progress bar;
- a "BBC" logo, top left;
- the mute icon, in the 3 positions it shows around the centre right.

There are also general patches of darker pixels here and there. By far the worst persistent images match the position of the Sky Q pause and progress bar. Photographs do not show the problem very well.

I am concerned about the possibility of persistent image damage with the new 'E9 and hope I can find some insurance to cover it. Obviously I will try to educate the family but it is disappointing that the technology does not appear to work well together with regards to this problem. A screensaver kicks in after a minute on the LG NetFlix app, but Sky Q, which was bundled with the TV, offers no such protection.
EndlessWaves05/03/2020 15:30

I'd avoid another OLED using the same production process if you've got …I'd avoid another OLED using the same production process if you've got image retention after just three years. They've improved the process a bit, but probably not to the point where it'll be good for fifteen years under the same load that caused issues in three.I'm surprised you went for the E6 in the first place given your heavily sport-based viewing as LG TVs, especially the pre-BFI OLEDs, are generally not great for motion handling. Given that only a small proportion of your viewing is going to benefit from HDR I wouldn't be too bothered about another high end TV and a top mid-range model such as a Q60R might suit you fine.It is rather a step down from an E6 in terms of value but you'd have to see what your policy said about replacements, whether they're supposed to give you the market value of your current model in working condition or have some new for old or equivalently performing model policy.

Thanks for your time and comments.

When I researched TV options in late 2016, I was always drawn to any OLED display over all others. It probably is wasted on me, since I am severely colour-blind, although no-one else in the family suffers.
feckless15/03/2020 16:03

Thanks for your time and comments.The persistent images were apparently …Thanks for your time and comments.The persistent images were apparently left by: - the Sky Q pause and progress bar;- a "BBC" logo, top left;- the mute icon, in the 3 positions it shows around the centre right.There are also general patches of darker pixels here and there. By far the worst persistent images match the position of the Sky Q pause and progress bar. Photographs do not show the problem very well.I am concerned about the possibility of persistent image damage with the new 'E9 and hope I can find some insurance to cover it. Obviously I will try to educate the family but it is disappointing that the technology does not appear to work well together with regards to this problem. A screensaver kicks in after a minute on the LG NetFlix app, but Sky Q, which was bundled with the TV, offers no such protection.

Good luck with the E9, I am really impressed with mine so far.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants