4K TV recommendations for under £700?

Posted 21st May
Uses:
  • Gaming (PS4)
  • Movies
  • TV Shows (Netflix, Prime, Now TV, Disney+)

I've been looking around and researching, using RTings for the majority a lot of it. I cannot make my mind up.

Edit: Sorry, screen size 49" or 50", 55" is stretching it a bit
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

25 Comments
What screen size?
Your money will go further if you get a last year's model. I'd compare what you could get for that and compare it to the TV's this year?
yorkie1221/05/2020 07:18

What screen size?

Sorry, preferably 49 or 50".

Can be 55", but its a but too big for the room it will be in
Look at LG 7400 series - We have a 65" and are really pleased with the Picture and Sound Quality. With a smaller screen the picture should look even better. If you can fit a 55" TV in your room I'd go for that , I've never heard anyone say they regret buying a larger TV but do hear people say they wished they had gone bigger.Try at John Lewis or Richer Sounds for the extended warranty.
Hisense seem to do very good tv’s for this budget, I am also on the lookout and am considering them
STRICKIBHOY21/05/2020 07:41

Your money will go further if you get a last year's model. I'd compare …Your money will go further if you get a last year's model. I'd compare what you could get for that and compare it to the TV's this year?

I'm probably going to go for last years models due to them being cheaper and usually not much different on specs at this price range.
yorkie1221/05/2020 08:28

Look at LG 7400 series - We have a 65" and are really pleased with the …Look at LG 7400 series - We have a 65" and are really pleased with the Picture and Sound Quality. With a smaller screen the picture should look even better. If you can fit a 55" TV in your room I'd go for that , I've never heard anyone say they regret buying a larger TV but do hear people say they wished they had gone bigger.Try at John Lewis or Richer Sounds for the extended warranty.

I will have a look into these, although I'm not a fan of IPS panels on TV's because of back-light bleeding on the darks
delllisa21/05/2020 08:46

Hisense seem to do very good tv’s for this budget, I am also on the l …Hisense seem to do very good tv’s for this budget, I am also on the lookout and am considering them

I don't know much about Hisense products, but I've seen them reasonably priced
TugaTone21/05/2020 09:50

I will have a look into these, although I'm not a fan of IPS panels on …I will have a look into these, although I'm not a fan of IPS panels on TV's because of back-light bleeding on the darks

Honestly I have never seen any light bleed and have owned the TV over 6 months. Also reading expert reviews the not as dark blacks isn't really noticable unless view in complete darkness. You get a good picture and good colour reproduction all around the room too. Have a read of some reviews , especially from people who actually own the TV. Avforums even recommend this TV for good viewing angles .
Edited by: "yorkie12" 21st May
D3LL80Y21/05/2020 10:25

5 year warranty, £72 off Discount code + 2 4K blurays... cannot go wrong …5 year warranty, £72 off Discount code + 2 4K blurays... cannot go wrong really prcdirect.co.uk/sony-kd55xf9005bu-75-smart-android-3d-4k-ultra-hdr-led-tv.html?pdg=pla-746190447282:cmp-2044020948:adg-71804259785:crv-357646878171:p os-:dev-m&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8oXszNDE6QIVxIjVCh3p1w9UEAkYASABEgJViPD_BwE

Very slow frustrating Android operating system on the XF series, the XH series is now on sale. The XG apparently has a better more responsive Android Operating System if you want last years model but price may be too high still.
Edited by: "TheBiker" 21st May
TheBiker21/05/2020 10:34

Very slow frustrating Android operating system on the XF series, the XH …Very slow frustrating Android operating system on the XF series, the XH series is now on sale. The XG apparently has a better more responsive Android Operating System if you want last years model but price may be too high still.

Yeah was thinking that. I might wait it out and see if Samsung's Q80 goes on sale, seems to be a pretty good TV but too high above my price range atm. Unless something similar or better comes along on sale that fit's my budget.
I'm looking for a 55 inch myself and am finding the different HDR Standards confusing too. From what I see Dolby Vision isn't a necessity but HDR10 and HLG is probably the minimum. And Samsung dont do Dolby Vision.

Also I need good wide viewing angles. Which type of panel would be best?

Mainly for Sky. Some streaming. Occasional gaming. Xbox uses HDR10.

Any suggestions.?

Up to 600ish
TheBiker21/05/2020 10:34

Very slow frustrating Android operating system on the XF series, the XH …Very slow frustrating Android operating system on the XF series, the XH series is now on sale. The XG apparently has a better more responsive Android Operating System if you want last years model but price may be too high still.

I wouldn’t buy myself anything other than LG OLED personally but couldn’t see a better deal for the price
Edited by: "D3LL80Y" 21st May
D3LL80Y21/05/2020 11:03

I wouldn’t buy myself anything other than LG OLED personally but couldn’t s …I wouldn’t buy myself anything other than LG OLED personally but couldn’t see a better deal for the price

I wish I could afford OLED lol

However the slow operating system is not something I want on something I will use everyday, even though the rest of the TV looks good spec wise
pKaTz21/05/2020 10:57

I'm looking for a 55 inch myself and am finding the different HDR …I'm looking for a 55 inch myself and am finding the different HDR Standards confusing too. From what I see Dolby Vision isn't a necessity but HDR10 and HLG is probably the minimum. And Samsung dont do Dolby Vision. Also I need good wide viewing angles. Which type of panel would be best?Mainly for Sky. Some streaming. Occasional gaming. Xbox uses HDR10.Any suggestions.? Up to 600ish

For wide viewing angles then LG TV's are the way to go since they use IPS panels. Someone above recommended the 7400 series
You could consider picking up a lightly used OLED with warranty remaining second hand. You could get it for your budget and it is night and day compared to things like LG7400.
The HDR effect on TV's at these prices point is very minimal (e.g. some places like RTings will say not much point). New 55 OLED here now for under £900. I know it is way over your budget but if you plan to keep it for 5 years you may well decide that the extra £200 was money well spent. hotukdeals.com/dea…303
TugaTone21/05/2020 11:07

I wish I could afford OLED lolHowever the slow operating system is not …I wish I could afford OLED lolHowever the slow operating system is not something I want on something I will use everyday, even though the rest of the TV looks good spec wise

Tbh i would say whatever you buy, go for LG. They have great tv’s in every range. The Sony was only one from RTINGS
smashed21/05/2020 11:22

The HDR effect on TV's at these prices point is very minimal (e.g. some …The HDR effect on TV's at these prices point is very minimal (e.g. some places like RTings will say not much point). New 55 OLED here now for under £900. I know it is way over your budget but if you plan to keep it for 5 years you may well decide that the extra £200 was money well spent. https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/philips-ambilight-55oled75412-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-oled-tv-89257-delivered-at-currys-ebay-5-years-warranty-3468303

My only concern with OLED's is screen burning
D3LL80Y21/05/2020 11:47

Tbh i would say whatever you buy, go for LG. They have great tv’s in every …Tbh i would say whatever you buy, go for LG. They have great tv’s in every range. The Sony was only one from RTINGS

What makes you rate LG's higher above the rest?
smashed21/05/2020 11:22

The HDR effect on TV's at these prices point is very minimal (e.g. some …The HDR effect on TV's at these prices point is very minimal (e.g. some places like RTings will say not much point). New 55 OLED here now for under £900. I know it is way over your budget but if you plan to keep it for 5 years you may well decide that the extra £200 was money well spent. https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/philips-ambilight-55oled75412-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-oled-tv-89257-delivered-at-currys-ebay-5-years-warranty-3468303

That's a good recommendation. Thank you.
But I note it hasn't got 2.1 HDMI
TugaTone21/05/2020 12:00

TugaTone21/05/2020 12:00

Popularity and ratings/reviews. Plus own LG OLED currently which is top class. Had an LED before which was great also
pKaTz21/05/2020 12:02

That's a good recommendation. Thank you. But I note it hasn't got 2.1 …That's a good recommendation. Thank you. But I note it hasn't got 2.1 HDMI

I think you will practically all OLEDs over a year old wont be 2.1. My B8 isnt and that cost me £1500 (65"). But then I don't have 120hz material anyway.
The quality on the cheaper TV's will obviously be worse.

I am paranoid about burn too, hence why I bought a 75" Hisense for £770 odd to put in the playroom. You could have issues if you watch a lot of CBeebies, Sky News or spend all your time playing a particular games with parts of the screen static.
I'm also currently considering a new TV in the 49-50 inch size.

The Sony XF series, as mentioned above is getting old now (2018), prices are coming down and the reviews are great for the picture quality but I'm wary of running an old version of Android (Oreo is the latest version I think) that is permanently connected to the internet, that will likely never receive another update. Plus lots of reviews say it's pretty slow and I can't imagine it getting any quicker! The 2019 XG and 2020 XH series are above my budget unfortunately.

LG models seem to get great reviews on Which for the OS, but they're mostly IPS panels I think. Personally don't need wide viewing angles and would prefer the better contrast of a VA panel I think.

So at the moment I think I'll be going for a Panasonic TX-50GX800B, which is going for £574 pretty much everywhere at present. Seems to get pretty good reviews for the price point, VA panel and deemed a solid mid-ranger. It has the advantage of supporting all the HDR formats (Dolby Vision/HLG/HDR10/HDR10+), which not many offer at this price point (Samsung, LG, Hisense and Sony all drop one of them I think). So doesn't matter so much which one is the de-facto standard in the next year or so.

All the above goes out of the window if there's an insane deal on a Sony XG or Samsung Q70R model though
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions