4K TV with a non 4K AV Receiver?

Found 30th Jul
Hi all,

So my setup is:
4K TV
ONKYO HTS3405 AV-receiver (5.1 system with Active Sub)

TV's Hdmi source 1 (ARC/pass-through):
Android TV Box
Xbox One (non 4K - yet)
BD Player

TV's Hdmi source 2:
Virgin Box (4K capability)

The receiver doesnt support 4K and I notice theres issues with my Virgin box as it naturally selects 4K signal sometimes (even though I manually select 1080) so I simply just plug the virgin directly to the TV via Hdmi. This is a hassle as I then have to turn the TV volume up and down on the AVR everytime I switch between virgin and the AVR sources.

Until I can afford a 4K Av-receiver, I was wondering if theres a better solution to this. I was thinking perhaps:

1) Connect all sources to the TV via Hdmi and one optical cable to the Av-R. But will this provide good surround sound?

2) Keep where my sources are and send audio from my virgin out via optical to Av-R.

Many thanks in advance!
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
If you require all your devices to use surround sound I think you should use option 1 and optical cable should have no problem transferring a high quality signal
Get a video splitter for the virgin box.
Scratch that, had a look on amazon and kit like AVR key is around £150. Looks like you have to run it to another HDMI socket and ARC return to amp.
Edited by: "kester76" 30th Jul
kester761 h, 20 m ago

Get a video splitter for the virgin box.Scratch that, had a look on amazon …Get a video splitter for the virgin box.Scratch that, had a look on amazon and kit like AVR key is around £150. Looks like you have to run it to another HDMI socket and ARC return to amp.

Thanks.

So pretty much how Ive got it set up now?
masterhussain2 h, 22 m ago

If you require all your devices to use surround sound I think you should …If you require all your devices to use surround sound I think you should use option 1 and optical cable should have no problem transferring a high quality signal

Thanks Mate. might give that a go. Any disadvantages in doing this?
masterhussain2 h, 49 m ago

If you require all your devices to use surround sound I think you should …If you require all your devices to use surround sound I think you should use option 1 and optical cable should have no problem transferring a high quality signal

Not 100% sure but will a HD sound format (eg from a Blueray) work through an optical via ARC?.
Laubi0239 m ago

Thanks. So pretty much how Ive got it set up now?

Yeah, problem you have is that HDMI video and audio are packaged together. More devices are being sold with 2x HDMI ports for this issue.
Only issue is how many of your tv sockets support 4k. It's an annoyance but unless you spend money on this problem then you're stuck. I don't understand why ARC doesn't support bitstream over HDMI though. Maybe this is why they released ARCe
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants