4K UHD blu ray Vs 4K UHD on Netflix

Posted 16th Jun
Would you see any noticeable difference between the two

Let's say I was watching Fury for example
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Bluray will win all day long. Sound quality will be superior and the movie will run much smoother. It is because streaming services compress the files where as blu ray isn’t compressed. Articles suggest bluray mega bites per second are at least 3x higher
14 Comments
Bluray will win all day long. Sound quality will be superior and the movie will run much smoother. It is because streaming services compress the files where as blu ray isn’t compressed. Articles suggest bluray mega bites per second are at least 3x higher
Agree with above comment physical media always wins.
Honestly, it depends on the viewer and the equipment you are using. Myself, I use an OLED B8 and a sony x700 4k bluray player with an atmos surround sound setup. Now for me, it's absolutely worth having the blurays, due to the fact you are getting the utmost quality out of them. Especially if your TV supports HDR (High Dynamic Rate - increases the depth of colours & luminosity). Even more so if you can watch dolby vision content.

Now netflix 4k content, is probably the worst out of Itunes/Amazon/Netflix, while it's not bad, it's certainly not quite up-to par with a 4k bluray. For one the audio will probably be compressed and the video bitrate will most likely be almost halved if not more (4k bluray roughly 30/80, netflix 4k maybe 5/20(?)

Now if you have a bog standard 4k tv, with no HDR and you don't plan to use any sound equipment, it would not be worth buying 4k blurays, (unless you wanted to future proof of course).

TLDR: yes you will notice a difference depending on your equipment and the source
I'd definitely take watching a 4K disc over trying to use a 4K UHD with Netflix.
deleted2477669
Blu ray 4K of course
I think the point missing here by previous answers, is the OP is asking if there is a NOTICEABLE difference.

We all know physical media should be superior as it stores more data and playback at a higher data transfer rate. But is this actually noticeable to the naked eye?
Edited by: "RYANdeals" 16th Jun
RYANdeals16/06/2020 22:39

I think the point missing here by previous answers, is the OP is asking if …I think the point missing here by previous answers, is the OP is asking if there is a NOTICEABLE difference.We all know physical media should be superior as it stores more data and playback at a higher data transfer rate. But is this actually noticeable to the naked eye?

Correct. And I have the Samsung ru8000 TV with a Samsung n850 soundbar and Panasonic ub450 player and I watched Fury on 4 uhd blu ray and then on Netflix and I didn't see a huge difference in picture that is. Obviously in sound it was a big difference
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 16th Jun
While we’re on the subject, any news when Netflix will be starting to reinstate full streaming quality again?
Edited by: "DEALS4EVA" 17th Jun
I notice a marked improvement in HDR over 4K UHD on netflix, tv come to life.
DEALS4EVA17/06/2020 01:10

While we’re on the subject, any news when Netflix are starting reinstate f …While we’re on the subject, any news when Netflix are starting reinstate full streaming quality again?

I thought they already had? Sure someone mentioned it on here at some point.
I prefer UHD Bluray but there are many films on Netflix in 4K that I would never buy a physical copy of.

Last film I watched on UHD Bluray was Top Gun and it was much better than the ordinary Bluray version.

I will be watching Gladiator tonight.....
Edited by: "TheBiker" 17th Jun
alg17/06/2020 10:25

I thought they already had? Sure someone mentioned it on here at some …I thought they already had? Sure someone mentioned it on here at some point.

Still streaming 7.62Mbps/2160 for me just now.
alg17/06/2020 11:15

Fair enough - but saw stories like …Fair enough - but saw stories like https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2020/05/netflix-eu-streaming-quality-4k-hdr/

Yeah, on it’s way apparently, I’m certain it hasn’t reached the UK as yet.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants