Expired

5 speeding tickets in 5 days

Found 19th Apr 2014
The Hammersmith Flyover has been reduced to 30 mph from 40 mph whilst roadworks are being carried out. I travel the route every day at around 5.30 am before the roadworks start and it's very quiet. Stupidly I hadn't adjusted my speed down and I hadn't realised there were cameras in operation and before I realised this I've been hit with FIVE notices of intended prosecution all within the space of a week. I was doing 41, 37 mph respectively. I absolutely realise this is down to my own stupidity but I wonder if there is any course of action I can take to minimise the damage. I already have 6 points on my license and another point would mean a ban I assume. I'm a driver by trade therefore this would end my livelihood. Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Thank you.
Community Updates
68 Comments
explain your case,explain its your livelyhood. tell them that you Wil go o. the speed awareness course. my dads a taxi driver. got all max points,explained,went on the course and a taxi driver now.
Start looking for another job.

These 5 cases will be treated as 5 individual offences, I very much doubt that any speed awareness course would be seen as appropriate for all 5 offences, maybe the odd one, but not 5.
You can have up to 12 penalty points before you're banned from driving. It may be worth seeking legal advice or posting on a forum like PePiPoo for advice. I will be a little preachy though and ask did you not learn from the previous 6 points??
There are plenty of examples where people have loads of points ie about 30 and still don't lose their license .
They should but they don't .
So you might be lucky
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies , I am a chauffeur and I have been doing this job for the past 14 years , I don't know if I should take this to the court I know its my fault but if I knew the first offence I would have been more careful to avoid the rest ,I don't know if I take this point to the court would they be treating this as one offence
First off OP you're saying you missed one of these....

http://www.matlockmercury.co.uk/webimage/1.6063982.1379584452!/image/3749407267.jpg_gen/derivatives/articleImgDeriv_628px/3749407267.jpg

Then one of these

http://gallery.nen.gov.uk/assets/1008/0000/0021/p1090640_mid.jpg

And then also missed more than one of these?

http://www.freefoto.com/images/909/19/909_19_8851---SPECS-Speed-Camera_web.jpg

Then you did all of that 5 times over????? oO

With that out the way, 12points is a ban so you have 6 more left. Be careful about what you say as saying you were not paying attention etc could land you into more hot water as in driving without due care and attention so think before you say anything about how it could be interpreted. Another thing to possibly use in explanation is if other traffic travelling at a similar pace etc.

Best thing you can do is to own up to it and that you'll happily pay for a driver improvement course and being honest it wont hurt you to go on it considering you should be a better driver than most doing it as a profession. I can tell you that dealing with the aftermath of speeding and poor driving is not in any way funny and while I hope you will learn your lesson part of me hopes you may get a short ban or forced to have points causing you to have no more head room for a mistake in the future to hopefully ensure you consider the dangers not only to yourself in your livelihood but to everyone else.
These are five different offences although you may request to have them heard together if you are going to plead your case in court They may consider the hardship it would cause you if you were to lose your employment but they will take into account that you were about 40% over the speed limit and any other points you have been given previously. Incidentally Status Quo's Francis Rossi was banned in similar circumstances to yours receiving five tickets in a short period of time in October 2005

''"ROCK legend Francis Rossi has been disqualified from driving for six months and ordered to pay £500 in court costs after being caught speeding near Reigate Hill.

Status Quo front man Rossi was clocked five times in 20 days by speed cameras on the A217 Brighton Road, Lower Kingswood, in April. In one week, Rossi was caught speeding by the same camera three times.

Millionaire Rossi, was caught on the A217 doing in excess of the 40mph speed limit, but claims to not have noticed the speed restrictions. ..''
Edited by: "hairyboxxox" 19th Apr 2014
It is very likely togo to court as the five tickets would take you over the disqualification allowance, i would suggest you do speak legal advice. a solicitor will present your case outlining your job, financial situation, remorse etc. This for me is the only way you may escape a ban.
This will take you to 21 points. Frankly I hope you do get a ban - livelihood or not.
That's silly. These speed cameras in certain places are money making tools
once is an accident but 5 times your pushing your luck and deserve a ban considering you have previous. prob best you don't carry passengers if you like to speed.
Astec123

First off OP you're saying you missed one of these....Then one of … First off OP you're saying you missed one of these....Then one of theseAnd then also missed more than one of these?Then you did all of that 5 times over????? oOWith that out the way, 12points is a ban so you have 6 more left. Be careful about what you say as saying you were not paying attention etc could land you into more hot water as in driving without due care and attention so think before you say anything about how it could be interpreted. Another thing to possibly use in explanation is if other traffic travelling at a similar pace etc. Best thing you can do is to own up to it and that you'll happily pay for a driver improvement course and being honest it wont hurt you to go on it considering you should be a better driver than most doing it as a profession. I can tell you that dealing with the aftermath of speeding and poor driving is not in any way funny and while I hope you will learn your lesson part of me hopes you may get a short ban or forced to have points causing you to have no more head room for a mistake in the future to hopefully ensure you consider the dangers not only to yourself in your livelihood but to everyone else.

LOL haha if that is the actual road!

Anyway I see where you're coming from. You've become accustomed to the speeds you've used all the time on that road and so the change threw you. But tbh, as above, there are signs, and since you do driving for a living you should be aware of these signs.
http://images7.alphacoders.com/428/428962.jpg
Banned
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/road-safety/9495761/Roadworker-safety-fears.html

All cars should be auto limited in this day and age by GPS. Crazy that they make cars that go over 70, when the limit is 70.

Sorry but you should be banned, completely irresponsible, what if you had killed someone? left a child fatherless?

Especially worse considering you are a "professional" driver. No sympathy, sorry

Got to laugh at the down voters who think speeding is acceptable. Wonder if they will think the same when one of their family gets killed by a selfish idiot like this.

Edited by: "Musician" 19th Apr 2014
wakkaday

That's silly. These speed cameras in certain places are money making … That's silly. These speed cameras in certain places are money making tools

That's right... and what's wrong with that.... If you don't want them to make money, don't speed
The Rossi incident is different as his livelihood wasn't put at stake by the ban.

Touch and go - good luck.
I would be carefull how you present your case. As to
Get caught on the same camera 5 times reeks of driving
Without due care and attention.
as you employment relies on your licence you need to seek professional legal advice

yes it's going to cost you several grand - but a good lawyer MAY be able to put a good case forward.

But, as others have said - if the revised speed limit is clearly signed then you really have no excuse, so and judgement will depend on the judge on the day and the way any mitigating circumstances are presented.

and for all others who are preaching about speeding ...... it's not speed that kills - it's the inappropriate / irresponsible use of speed that kills ..... I drive al lot in Germany where many autobahns are not limited and the use of speed and attitude of motorist there make is as safe as UK motorways.

EliTom
interesting dilemma, did you pass your theory test .. hazard perception training?! That was only 4 months ago, so driving without a licence prior to this?? oO
Lol I did a hazard perception test online the other day, I failed it because I spotted more hazards than they claimed there were.

There was a small boy walking with mum I clicked as I deemed it was a potential hazard (slips mum's grip runs into road) but no apparently not. Stupid test
Musician

Sorry but you should be banned, completely irresponsible, what if you had … Sorry but you should be banned, completely irresponsible, what if you had killed someone? left a child fatherless? Wonder if they will think the same when one of their family gets killed by a selfish idiot like this.

OH please read the full quote before you get on a high horse
Hammersmith flyover at this time has no pedestrians apart from a few people in high viz outerwear behind cones and barriers.
Many speed reduction routes are completely over the top and safety gone mad i.e. the M6 near Birmingham and whilst I dont condone speeding in a dangerous manner I personally think many such sites are merely there as cash cows.

http://i.gyazo.com/2777a2d079046ad77080feefd2869062.png

My advice would be to seek advice from a laywer who deals with such specific cases and take the best course of action to fit the circumstances.Its quite easy to drive safely and still have speeding points conversly its easy to see people who drive within speed limits but do so in a completely dangerous manner.There are no safe speeds only safe driving manners and awareness of danger if anything more pedestrians should be prosecuted for unsafe actions i.e. walking across a road whilst talking on a mobile or crossing the road between vehicles.

Edited by: "arachnoid" 19th Apr 2014
arachnoid

OH please read the full quote before you get on a high horseHammersmith … OH please read the full quote before you get on a high horseHammersmith flyover at this time has no pedestrians apart from a few people in high viz outerwear behind cones and barriers.Many speed reduction routes are completely over the top and safety gone mad i.e. the M6 near Birmingham and whilst I dont condone speeding in a dangerous manner I personally think many such sites are merely there as cash cows.

The OP knew the speed limit was 30mph, no excuses
Banned
arachnoid

OH please read the full quote before you get on a high horseHammersmith … OH please read the full quote before you get on a high horseHammersmith flyover at this time has no pedestrians apart from a few people in high viz outerwear behind cones and barriers.Many speed reduction routes are completely over the top and safety gone mad i.e. the M6 near Birmingham and whilst I dont condone speeding in a dangerous manner I personally think many such sites are merely there as cash cows.My advice would be to seek advice from a laywer who deals with such specific cases and take the best course of action to fit the circumstances.Its quite easy to drive safely and still have speeding points conversly its easy to see people who drive within speed limits but do so in a completely dangerous manner.There are no safe speeds only safe driving manners and awareness of danger if anything more pedestrians should be prosecuted for unsafe actions i.e. walking across a road whilst talking on a mobile or crossing the road between vehicles.

cobblers, its 30 for a reason
Bye bye license, you only have yourself to blame in this one sorry, what else can be said?
Even if there is nobody working on the road you still have to do the speed limit on the signs at any time of day, I have been there and know sorry
Hi put your car up for sale and get a mega rider stagecoach that's your best bet
I assume you have only just passed your test going off your previous thread.

hotukdeals.com/tag…860

And you already have 6 points? oO

How did you pass your test?
Edited by: "RossD89" 19th Apr 2014
Seek legal advice. Get all cases heard together. Try exceptional hardship. If you aim for short ban, you will not accumulate any points and wipes licence clean.
RossD89

I assume you have only just passed your test going off your previous … I assume you have only just passed your test going off your previous thread.http://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/ask/can-someone-recommend-a-website-for-hazard-perception-training-online-for-free-1756860And you already have 6 points? oOHow did you pass your test?

If they'd only just passed then they would have had their licence revoked with 6 or more points in first 2 years.
Edited by: "rdtorres" 19th Apr 2014
When I set the cruise control to the speed limit and the knob heads overtake me obviously not sticking to the limit I always wonder if they get caught, now I know, good luck
Banned
ding

When I set the cruise control to the speed limit and the knob heads … When I set the cruise control to the speed limit and the knob heads overtake me obviously not sticking to the limit I always wonder if they get caught, now I know, good luck

Best one is when they get irate if you are doing 70 in the fast lane, they have no legal right to overtake at all.
listen you lot. Get off your moral high horses. Advice is being sought on here and not your personal opinion. So many people who fail to read what the op wrote. She is asking for advice irrespective of what she did. If you want to give her a piece of your mind then message her privately.
Dominatez

listen you lot. Get off your moral high horses. Advice is being sought on … listen you lot. Get off your moral high horses. Advice is being sought on here and not your personal opinion. So many people who fail to read what the op wrote. She is asking for advice irrespective of what she did. If you want to give her a piece of your mind then message her privately.

exactly - and a lot of **** being said too

one other point OP - get your employer on your side - that will help in court !

EliTom
You are SO Banned....5 x 3 points each offence = 15 points....only 12 are required under the totting up procedure.....plus the 6 you already have makes for a lot of future bus journeys....
RossD89

I assume you have only just passed your test going off your previous … I assume you have only just passed your test going off your previous thread.http://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/ask/can-someone-recommend-a-website-for-hazard-perception-training-online-for-free-1756860And you already have 6 points? oOHow did you pass your test?

LOL

Don't get me wrong I don't always stick to the limit but through roadworks with big camera signs and average speed signs then I do, I just wondered why people don't and if the long arm of the law catches up

Dominatez

listen you lot. Get off your moral high horses. Advice is being sought on … listen you lot. Get off your moral high horses. Advice is being sought on here and not your personal opinion. So many people who fail to read what the op wrote. She is asking for advice irrespective of what she did. If you want to give her a piece of your mind then message her privately.

Banned
go to court and while you will get 3 points for each offence they will only count as 3 points towards a ban because they were awarded at the same time
Good luck OP.

Don't wish bad upon anybody..especially towards the OP as their livelihood depends on this. Fools.
whatsThePoint

go to court and while you will get 3 points for each offence they will … go to court and while you will get 3 points for each offence they will only count as 3 points towards a ban because they were awarded at the same time

Is that actually the case? It doesn't sound right to me...
Banned
patonar

Is that actually the case? It doesn't sound right to me...

sounds right to me and its how people get sentenced for other offences, ie if you commit 10 crimes and get sentenced to 1 year for each offence you don't do 10 years, you do 1 year with the other 9 sentences running concurrent
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions