Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Eat Out To Help Out - 50% at restaurants meals up to £10 per head Monday to Wednesday in August

Refreshed 31st Aug (Posted 8th Jul)
Update 1
Ends today!
Just been announced, the government will cover 50% off restaurants meals in August, Monday to Wednesday at participating restaurants up to £10 per head. This will be along with a reduction in VAT to 5%.

"Sunak announces 50% meals discountsRishi Sunak announces the government will give everyone 50% off meals in participating restaurants during August.

He says the discount will go up to £10 per head for adults and children, and apply Monday to Wednesday.

He says the scheme will help people "Eat Out to Help Out" the hospitality sector"

from MSE Which restaurants, cafes and pubs are taking part?

The Government's yet to publish a full list of which eateries will be taking part, but some big names have already said they will, including Nando's, Wetherspoon, Harvester, Pizza Hut, Toby Carvery and All Bar One.

Other chains which are also confirmed as participants include Browns, Castle pubs, Ember Inns, Miller & Carter, Nicholson's, Oak Tree, Orchid Pubs, O'Neill's, Premium Country Pubs, Sizzling Pubs, Stonehouse Pizza & Carvery and Vintage Inns. Remember too that smaller independent restaurants, cafes and pubs will also be eligible to take part.
Community Updates
Lead deal editor
Chain restaurants and large businesses registered for the scheme

These restaurants will not appear in search results. Check their websites for details of participating locations.

Find all taking part here - You can search by postcode

Examples

Use the Eat Out to Help Out Scheme at a participating establishment:

• to get a 50% discount on food or non-alcoholic drinks to eat or drink in (up to a maximum of £10 discount per diner)
  • every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday between 3 and 31 August
  • as many times as you like

You do not need a voucher to use this scheme and you can use it at the same time as other offers and discounts. There is no minimum spend.

You cannot claim discount on alcoholic drinks or service charges.

The discount will be automatically available to you at participating establishments. Establishments will then claim a reimbursement from the government for the discount they’ve given you.

Participating establishments may include:

• restaurants, cafés, bars or pubs
  • work and school canteens
  • food halls

All diners in a group of any size can use the discount.

If you’re in an area under local lockdown

You should follow local guidelines if you’re in an area under local lockdown. Local restaurants may still appear in the results when you use the restaurant finder tool, but will not be open.

Find the most recent offers posted by hotukdeals members

31827.jpg
Top comments
We all will pay for this in coming years 1000x more.
Wonder how they're going to stop dubious places claiming for phantom customers.
Count me OUT.
milkshake2208/07/2020 13:10

think there is much more we will be paying for than this
554 Comments
Count me OUT.
Wonder how they're going to stop dubious places claiming for phantom customers.

think there is much more we will be paying for than this
abigsmurf08/07/2020 13:10

Wonder how they're going to stop dubious places claiming for phantom …Wonder how they're going to stop dubious places claiming for phantom customers.

They won't you will see lots of resturant onwers becoming milioners overnight and shuting off there doors with staff left without jobs.
He can pay for half my dinner if he wants, I’m in lol.
Kratos6908/07/2020 13:12

He can pay for half my dinner if he wants, I’m in lol.

Fair enough. You'll be repaying it for years to come.
AndyRoyd08/07/2020 13:16

Fair enough. You'll be repaying it for years to come.

It is what it is, I usually go out for dinner Monday evenings anyway so it suits. I’d rather give some money back to the economy and at least try to get things moving.
Edited by: "Kratos69" 8th Jul
I wonder what restaurants will be participating. The big chains? Will it take way custom from the smaller eating places that are struggling?
Wonder if the big fast food will be inlcuded(i hope not)
Also not great in long run as very few people eat the right foods now let alone go out to eat grilled chicken and broccoli - more fat people equals more disease costing more in the long run!
randomdeal08/07/2020 13:31

I wonder what restaurants will be participating. The big chains? Will it …I wonder what restaurants will be participating. The big chains? Will it take way custom from the smaller eating places that are struggling?

They’re all participating I believe. The restaurant will just claim back through the government. I don’t believe it’s a sign up type scheme.
Does Rishi need to join you and pay his half? Seems an ok chap, hope he likes Wetherspoons.
Kratos6908/07/2020 13:35

They’re all participating I believe. The restaurant will just claim back t …They’re all participating I believe. The restaurant will just claim back through the government. I don’t believe it’s a sign up type scheme.

OK. That's good as it will help small restaurants too.
HotUKDealsHobo08/07/2020 13:34

Also not great in long run as very few people eat the right foods now let …Also not great in long run as very few people eat the right foods now let alone go out to eat grilled chicken and broccoli - more fat people equals more disease costing more in the long run!

Imagine. 100 years of eating broccoli
randomdeal08/07/2020 13:41

OK. That's good as it will help small restaurants too.

Most definitely, I went to eat at a smaller place over the weekend, had a chat with the owner/manager, some of the things he was telling us really put it into perspective how badly this is destroying businesses. I’m happy to support them with or without Rishi, the fact he’ll pay half is a sweetener though lol.
Kratos6908/07/2020 13:43

Most definitely, I went to eat at a smaller place over the weekend, had a …Most definitely, I went to eat at a smaller place over the weekend, had a chat with the owner/manager, some of the things he was telling us really put it into perspective how badly this is destroying businesses. I’m happy to support them with or without Rishi, the fact he’ll pay half is a sweetener though lol.

I can see how hard it is for small places. They have had the cost of adapting their restaurants with all the regulations and having also to promote themselves more to get people through the doors and take away the fear that many people still have. Cutting the number of tables is going has a big effect too. So any incentive to encourage more people to eat there will help.
HotUKDealsHobo08/07/2020 13:34

Also not great in long run as very few people eat the right foods now let …Also not great in long run as very few people eat the right foods now let alone go out to eat grilled chicken and broccoli - more fat people equals more disease costing more in the long run!

Mr (or mrs) happy aren't u??
Cutting VAT to 5% on food and entertainment on 15th July.
I would of thought zero percent VAT on restaurant meals would be enough rather than create a complicated scheme to claim from and then anyone can benefit at any time.
Tastecard are livid
randomdeal08/07/2020 13:53

I can see how hard it is for small places. They have had the cost of …I can see how hard it is for small places. They have had the cost of adapting their restaurants with all the regulations and having also to promote themselves more to get people through the doors and take away the fear that many people still have. Cutting the number of tables is going has a big effect too. So any incentive to encourage more people to eat there will help.

Yep, was central London and used to heavily rely on foot traffic even though he was constantly busy. New systems mean it’s mainly booking, less than 50 percent tables. Staff hours all reduced so he doesn’t have to get rid of anyone. Will take him five years he has worked out to just get to where he was pre Covid days. Has an understanding landlord who immediately offered a rent holiday which he took but still owes just south of 20k in August for past 4 months rent he couldn’t open. Reckons by Christmas time half of restaurants like his will be closed. It’s a very sad state of affairs, couldn’t of honestly been a nicer guy either.
Hopefully they will change the rules to include click or phone and collect takeaway orders in light of rising covid-19 cases in parts of the UK.

Personally I'd rather not eat in a restaurant for a while, although I have no issue with grabbing a 50% off takeaway!
Edited by: "dudea729" 4th Aug
Kratos6908/07/2020 14:04

Yep, was central London and used to heavily rely on foot traffic even …Yep, was central London and used to heavily rely on foot traffic even though he was constantly busy. New systems mean it’s mainly booking, less than 50 percent tables. Staff hours all reduced so he doesn’t have to get rid of anyone. Will take him five years he has worked out to just get to where he was pre Covid days. Has an understanding landlord who immediately offered a rent holiday which he took but still owes just south of 20k in August for past 4 months rent he couldn’t open. Reckons by Christmas time half of restaurants like his will be closed. It’s a very sad state of affairs, couldn’t of honestly been a nicer guy either.

Wow, five years... a long time to recover and who knows how long this pandemic is going to be around for with the threat of a second wave as well. Then the prospect of a recession. It's sad, given how hard people in places like that work and how much effort they put in to build their business.
Sounds good to me
how do you check which resturants are particpating in this?
im sure we will see prices rise so it'll be pointless. i dont know how the government will keep a handle on this to stop people defrauding the system. weve already seen covid grants being defrauded.
Does this include takeaways?
daniellndn08/07/2020 13:39

Does Rishi need to join you and pay his half? Seems an ok chap, hope he …Does Rishi need to join you and pay his half? Seems an ok chap, hope he likes Wetherspoons.

I’d buy Rishi a half price meal on a Monday night - he’s just saved me over £7k in stamp duty.... it’s the least I can do!
Wonder if this will be implemented everywhere and whether it will be a discount menu or full menu? Hopefully it's easy for the small resturants to apply
rimalpatel00708/07/2020 15:52

how do you check which resturants are particpating in this?

To come at a later date, they need to register soon, then the list will be available and this if I update it quick enough will get moved to deals, what’s the betting it doesn’t
eslick08/07/2020 20:28

To come at a later date, they need to register soon, then the list will be …To come at a later date, they need to register soon, then the list will be available and this if I update it quick enough will get moved to deals, what’s the betting it doesn’t

I bet for every restaurant chain there will be a new deal posted. HotUKDeal will go explosive!
I may be wrong but I’m under the impression this will apply to all restaurants? I’m sure it will be simply the restaurant claiming back the money via receipts per bill submitted through Monday - Wednesday bookings. Again could be wrong there but I’m sure it’s not a scheme where places have to apply.
Kratos6908/07/2020 20:42

I may be wrong but I’m under the impression this will apply to all r …I may be wrong but I’m under the impression this will apply to all restaurants? I’m sure it will be simply the restaurant claiming back the money via receipts per bill submitted through Monday - Wednesday bookings. Again could be wrong there but I’m sure it’s not a scheme where places have to apply.

They have to apply, but doesn’t make sense if they don’t, people will just go elsewhere.
Might as well abuse it as much as possible because either way the taxpayer will be paying so might as well get your use out of it, Get your Meal, make sure to use the best offers such as the restaurants offers, Taste card, Meerkat, going to another restaurant for your desserts to maximize discount
Edited by: "Abidaboviveru" 13th Jul
From MSE

Which restaurants, cafes and pubs are taking part? The Government's yet to publish a full list of which eateries will be taking part, but some big names have already said they will, including Nando's, Wetherspoon, Harvester, Pizza Hut, Toby Carvery and All Bar One.

Other chains which are also confirmed as participants include Browns, Castle pubs, Ember Inns, Miller & Carter, Nicholson's, Oak Tree, Orchid Pubs, O'Neill's, Premium Country Pubs, Sizzling Pubs, Stonehouse Pizza & Carvery and Vintage Inns. Remember too that smaller independent restaurants, cafes and pubs will also be eligible to take part.
Hard Rock Cafe too
Kratos6908/07/2020 20:42

I may be wrong but I’m under the impression this will apply to all r …I may be wrong but I’m under the impression this will apply to all restaurants? I’m sure it will be simply the restaurant claiming back the money via receipts per bill submitted through Monday - Wednesday bookings. Again could be wrong there but I’m sure it’s not a scheme where places have to apply.

Not all restaurants! I know of two who aren’t taking up the offer.

This is nothing comparatively. We've just kept half the adult population on practically a full wage for 4+ months. A months worth of meals at a £10 a person is nothing.
Forget the crappy chains! Time for some of us to venture out and try some LOCAL independents. They will probably advertise on social media if they decide to take up the offer.
Post a comment
@
    Text