50" Panasonic Viera as a PC monitor?

Found 27th Jul 2012
Good or bad idea? its the same resolution as my current PC monitor.
1920 x 1080

I was going to buy a new monitor.. and just though it may be an idea to get use out of this expensive piece of kit.

(Tx-P50S30B)

I bought the screen because it had the lowest input lag of any hdtv in the size range.
Community Updates
18 Comments
It won't be comfortable for general PC use. Nice for gaming/media etc.

Will be fine if you run them as dual monitors for day-to-day activities.
I have mine hooked up to a 24" monitor, 42" Plasma and 120" Projector screen

Edited by: "MBeeching" 27th Jul 2012
Original Poster
So games wont look like crap?

Banned
I find that TV screen is not good as monitor. It is too big and picture is distorted compared to good monitor. The only one thing I use TV as a monitor - to watch movie,downloaded from torrent. And thats it.
Banned
agree with the first comment.
Banned
Jack-L92

So games wont look like crap?

depends on your distance from the screen.

Edited by: "kunyk" 27th Jul 2012
Original Poster
kunyk

depends on your distance from the screen.

Reckon im about 7 ft away from it.
Original Poster
MBeeching

It won't be comfortable for general PC use. Nice for gaming/media … It won't be comfortable for general PC use. Nice for gaming/media etc.Will be fine if you run them as dual monitors for day-to-day activities.I have mine hooked up to a 24" monitor, 42" Plasma and 120" Projector screen

Didnt think of that.. might just do it.
Banned
Jack-L92

Reckon im about 7 ft away from it.

that is about recommended distance from the manufacturers.

I guess it will look fine (for gaming/videos/maybe some browsing), but the thing is you have to try it yourself to find out.

for general use some 22-24" fullHD panel would be ok.

Banned
that is up to you, but yes HDMI is probably the best option.
Original Poster
kunyk

that is up to you, but yes HDMI is probably the best option.

Righto, So either VGA to HDMI or HDMI to HDMI depending on my pc having an HDMI output?
I haven't actually built the PC yet, im going to get a i5 3570k and a gtx 670, still choosing a mobo.

Thanks for the help.
Banned
HDMI is digital, VGA is analogue.

HDMI transfers sound as well.

mobo: Z77 chipset, form factor depending on case, model depending on budget.

Original Poster
Right thanks, I just care about the image quality as i am going to connect the speakers through optical output.
Hello,

I've been an HTPC user for nearly years. At the moment I have a Samsung 47 hooked up by HDMI runnig at 1920x1080, everything is run in it's native resolution.

Of course the PC (Graphics Card mostly) is the difference between a good and bad setup as the PC is doing all of the work, but I would never go back to set-top boxes etc.

There are plenty of sites online regarding building an HTPC or adapting your existing PC to become one, some sites will sell pre-built PC's too, but honestly it is very easy and you will never look back. Ours is very family friendly.

Check out the Home Entertainment PC forum at AV Forums for lots of help and advice about monitors too. avforums.com/for…cs/

Hope this helps.
Jack-L92

Righto, So either VGA to HDMI or HDMI to HDMI depending on my pc having … Righto, So either VGA to HDMI or HDMI to HDMI depending on my pc having an HDMI output?I haven't actually built the PC yet, im going to get a i5 3570k and a gtx 670, still choosing a mobo.Thanks for the help.

Sounds like you're having an extravagant month
Good choice with the GTX 670, I have the 680 but it's only marginally quicker.
Works well for multiscreen setups too.

Use the HDMI for the 50" screen, then DVI for your existing monitor.
Presuming you do not use monitor speakers.
Original Poster
MBeeching

Sounds like you're having an extravagant month :)Good choice with the GTX … Sounds like you're having an extravagant month :)Good choice with the GTX 670, I have the 680 but it's only marginally quicker.Works well for multiscreen setups too.Use the HDMI for the 50" screen, then DVI for your existing monitor.Presuming you do not use monitor speakers.

Haha yes.. treating myself!

Defo not using monitor speakers i have these that i want to use: ebuyer.com/256…469

I am wondering if i should get a soundcard to get the best out of them.
Jack-L92

Haha yes.. treating myself!Defo not using monitor speakers i have these … Haha yes.. treating myself!Defo not using monitor speakers i have these that i want to use: http://www.ebuyer.com/256220-logitech-z906-surround-sound-5-1-speaker-system-980-000469I am wondering if i should get a soundcard to get the best out of them.

You will be fine if you pick a motherboard with decent onboard (e.g. Realtek ALC-889A).
Then use the optical out to connect the speakers.

Gigabyte boards tend to have decent audio on their mid/high range.
Sound cards are good if you want to do music production or need something with a decent headphone amp.

Jack-L92

I am wondering if i should get a soundcard to get the best out of them.

If you're using S/PDIF then it won't make much difference as most of the information is sent digitally (I believe it uses analogue signals for the timing, but what do you expect from the 80s?)
If you want good sound, plough your money into speakers.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions